If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sudden Death Gene

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudden Death Gene

[Sudden Death Gene]

Author: Dolly (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 08-17-02 00:19

I was offered the opportunity to be tested to find out if I carry the sudden death gene. I was told that treatment would not be any different whether it was present or not.

My question is, Is it possible to isolate the gene for sudden death? If so, would that show cause for ICD?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Sudden Death Gene]

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 08-17-02 10:44

Dolly -

There is no such thing as the "sudden death gene".

At a recent scientific meeting a Dr. Ackerman from the Mayo Clinic evaluated families with several genetic mutations to see which families had a higher likelyhood of sudden death - based soley on genetic mutations.

Guess what....

There was no prevelance of sudden death within any one genetic mutation vs. other genetic mutations. Some with what were once thought to be "bad genes" had no more or less sudden deaths than those thought to have a benign gene.

While the mutation -troponin -has been linked to cases of minimal hypertophy and high risk, it is the only mutation that one can detirmine risk from - Or shall I say it is widely accepted in the community as such, some do have different opinions.

To answer your questions - at this time there is little if any clinical value to genetics in HCM, however it can lend a great deal of information to detect future generations who carry the gene.

Can the test detirmine if you need an ICD - -I am only aware of 2 cases were ICD's were implanted soley on the basis of genetic testing (you know who you are..if you wish to comment further it may be helpful to others).

Dolly - best of luck and let us know what happens. By the way this was a great question!

Lisa

Author: Dolly W (---.i-55.com)

Date: 08-17-02 15:11

Thanks Lisa!

Next question - You spoke about troponin as a mutation, as in the troponin which is elevated during heart attack?

About a year ago, I had mildly elevated troponin levels and they could not determine whether or not I experienced a heart attack. Could that (the mutation)be what caused the elevated troponin?

My gosh! There's so much to learn here! The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know!

Thanks again!

Author: Dolly W (---.i-55.com)

Date: 08-17-02 15:16

Oh, and I must give credit where credit is due. This topic originated during my phone conversation with Ada, and she prompted me to post.

Thanks Ada!

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 08-17-02 21:14

Well all do credit to the both of you and extra points for getting to know each other...stuff like that makes my day!

Anyway...no it is not the same thing I am refering to a genetic mutation - not blood levels...but great question...infact I will do some research and see if that are at all connected...

Lisa

Author: Linda (---.wmnsmd.adelphia.net)

Date: 08-18-02 13:30

The troponin that is elevated with heart damage is an enzyme that shows up in the blood, released from damaged tissue. This helps the docs evaluate chest pain in an emergency situation, just one more tool in addition to an EKG. The troponin in reference to mutations is a totally different situation and refers to genes, not a quick or easy lab test. Takes extensive lab time. Linda

Author: Mary Sharp (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 08-18-02 14:06

Are Tropinin levels only found when the heart has had some sort of damage or can you natrually have high enzyme levels?

mary S.

Author: Micahel Finan (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 08-19-02 12:08

Hi,

My cardiologist recently told me to see if I have a "sudden death gene" so that he can determine if I need an ICD. I have no obstructions, but get palpitations daily. My heart also slows and speeds up from time to time, which is why we were considering an ICD.

Does anyone have any info on this? Is there a lab that I can go to? Is this even necessary? Does anyone else suffer from palpitations? Can they be considered arrythmias?

Thanks

Michael

[Sudden Death Gene and Palptations Question]

Author: Micahel Finan (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 08-19-02 12:55

Hi,

My cardiologist recently told me to see if I have a "sudden death gene" so that he can determine if I need an ICD. I have no obstructions, but get palpitations daily. My heart also slows and speeds up from time to time, which is why we were considering an ICD. These are coming from the bottom of my heart, I believe.

Does anyone have any info on this? Is there a lab that I can go to? Is this even necessary? Does anyone else suffer from palpitations? Can they be considered arrythmias?

Thanks

Michael

[Re: Sudden Death Gene and Palptations Question]

Author: Linda (---.wmnsmd.adelphia.net)

Date: 08-19-02 19:26

About troponins - the troponin protein or enzyme checked for in the blood to determine heart damage is troponin I. This troponin is found only in heart muscle. The mutation is found on Troponin T (right Lisa?) and is found in other muscles in the body. So if an elevated level of Troponin I shows up in the blood, it reflects heart muscle damage. It can be mildy elevated in other heart disorders (unstable angina or possible HCM) and chronic kidney heart failure(this takes it's toll on the heart muscle also). A very low level exists normally, but will elevate rapidly(within 4-6 hrs) and disappear in about a wk after an MI or heart attack. Checking for Troponin I just checks it's presence in the blood. Checking for a mutation on Troponin T involves mapping the actual gene. Lisa, feel free to jump in any time. Linda
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X