If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please tell me you had this happen to you!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Laoshur Find out more about Laoshur
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, all!

Prayers are the best!

I am now in full fledged congestive heart failure with lots of fluid in my lungs, but the doc says we cannot address that question until we at least begin to make headway against this infection. Every breath is a gurgle when lying down and sometimes even sitting or standing.

Rhoda

Comment

Hi Rhonda

There has got to be something someone can do! Since I've been a member of HCMA you have had some obsticles along the road. You are such a nice and caring person. My heart goes out to you.

I will continue to pray for a miracle for you. You have so many people here praying for you. Please don't get discouraged. God will lead you down the right path.

Take care and please keep us informed.
      Esther

Comment

Rhoda, you have more prayers coming your way from me and all my family who I can get in contact with tonight. I hope this is a turning point for you and all will be better tomorrow.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Rhoda

Hang in there and prayers are coming from Ken and I and my entire family ok

Shirley
          Diagnosed 2003
          Myectomy 2-23-2004
          Husband: Ken
          Son: John diagnosed 2004
          Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

rhoda,

best wishes for a recovery. i hope the hospital experience will be a good one. is there anything the us embassy there can do to help? do they have any facilities for diplomatic staff?

mongo

Comment

Thoughts and prayers to you, Rhoda.
              Get well soon dear.

((hugs))
              Pam
              It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Hi Rhoda,

I am sorry to hear you are not feeling any better I am praying hard that this bug will go away. I don't know all details of your situation but it sounds like it might be best to get back to the states. I'm worried about you. Keep us updated.

John
                41 years old. Diagnosed with HOCM in Feb 2005. Myectomy at Mayo on June 8, 2005

Comment

Rhoda.

May you experience all tha Great One has in store for your life, especially during this tie of sickness.

Peace,

Leon
                  God Squad co-moderator
                  Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Rhoda,

I've been thinking of you, and hope that you can get to the best treatment possible very soon. Most of the current literature seems to suggest that a multiple-drug approach is best, using two or more proven antipseudomonal antibiotics.

"The antipseudomonal antibiotics for P. aeruginosa pneumonia include piperacillin, ticarcillin, ceftazidime, cefepime, aztreonam, imipenem, meropenem, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, and the aminoglycosides (gentamicin, netilmicin, tobramycin, and amikacin)... For pneumonia in which P. aeruginosa is documented as the etiologic agent by cultures of blood or invasive diagnostic methods, we recommend combination antipseudomonal antibiotic therapy."(Weingarten, 2003)

"Although most cephalosporins are not active against P aeruginosa, ceftazidime, a third-generation agent, and cefepime hydrochloride (Maxipime), a fourth-generation agent, have excellent and about equivalent activity... We favor the use of two agents in serious infections such as nosocomial pneumonia, infective endocarditis, bacteremia in patients who are neutropenic, and sepsis. Although this practice may or may not prevent the emergence of resistance, it increases the likelihood that the patient will receive at least one agent to which his or her isolate remains susceptible even if resistance does develop." (Hauser, 2005)

Hauser has a nice table here which lists the most common antipseudomonal antibiotics and dosages.

Hang in there,

Jim
                    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Thanks, all!

Thanks, especially, Jim for the table from Hauser. I had not seen that article, although I was very familiar with the Weingarten one. I had a drug sensitivity done and most of these are on the list. However, several are not available in China and I have a history of allergies to some of these categories. Years ago a doctor told me that drug allergies were no big whoop, that if I ever really needed one, they would just give it to me in the hospital and see if my reaction was sufficiently serious to stop it.

I saw another article about protocols for admissions and drug treatments that said that with chf complications, ICU admission was often recommended with pseudomonas pneumonia. Sort of scary as I sit propped here on my couch because I cannot breathe lying down.

I had finally decided that maybe I could come home for treatment if I went on oxygen the entire way. However, tonight I called airlines and got the disappointing news that some do not have oxygen from Beijing and the one that did cannot arrange it before Friday. That is really not going to fix my problem, so it looks like I will have to fight it from here.

Don't panic if you don't hear from me for awhile. If I have to go into a Chinese hospital, I am sure I will not have access to a computer!

Thanks again!

Rhoda

Comment

R

Can you not get oxygen from another source to bring with you? I'm sure it must be pricey, but might be worth looking into. See what the doctor says.

Hang in there, we are all pulling for you to beat this.

hugs,

Sarah

Comment

Prayers are still continued from here.

Reenie
                          Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                          3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Rhonda

I was thinking the same question as Sarah.

I pray that your doctors find an antibiotic for you or that you can find a resource to acquire oxygen to get back home.

Can your husband inform us as to your health? Even if it is just getting better, little change or the same.

I know we will all be worried about you should you be hospitalized and not hear anything for awhile.

I will continue to pray for you.

Take care
                            Esther

Comment

Rhoda,

You're quite welcome.

Listen, you know what's best for you, and it's not our place to try and tell you what to do. But you also know us well enough to realize that we're going to go ahead and tell you what we think anyway.

We need to get you home and get you proper treatment for this. Good grief! In a country as severely polluted as that one, you'd think there would be oxygen tanks available on every street corner. I can't believe this is even an issue. Like Sarah suggested, could you arrange to get some locally and then take it with you? I know the normal procedure is that the oxygen must be supplied by the airline... but they don't have it!

Is there anything any of us can do for you? Phone calls or whatever to try and find help for you from this side without you having to spend a fortune on the calls. Any advocacy groups over here that can expedite things in cases of medical necessity? Or anything at all we can do to help, however big or small?

Please let us know,

Jim
                              "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Rhoda - Jim's right, Call in your resources. You've been a resource for so many, it's your turn to be helped and cared for. Linda

Comment

Working...
                                X