If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our scare for the day, but good news

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our scare for the day, but good news

[Our scare for the day, but good news]

Author: Reenie Smith (---.snbrca.adelphia.net)

Date: 08-08-02 09:38

Yesterday my dearest husband called me from work and told me that he wasn't sure, but he had either had some major palpitations or his ICD has attempted to pace him. He then proceeded to get queasy. I called the hospital and they saw him in the heart institute office to interrogate the ICD right away. It had not recorded anything unusual. I wonder if he had a very sudden strong and abrupt palpitation? He said it startled him so badly he immediately did the val salva procedure and evidently it worked. Perhaps it saved the ICD from firing? I don't know the answers, but I am very happy about the outcome. A couple of hours later he felt fine, like nothing had happened. Anyone else felt strange like this before? Thanks for your info. By the way, I will attempt to read all posts and respond about how he's feeling, but I am expecting company from out of state today for a week. Please understand if I am slow to respond.

Reenie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Our scare for the day, but good news]

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 08-08-02 09:45

Reenie,

Yes I thnk I know what he is talking about. I have had many of these types of "symptoms" over the years. In fact 2 weeks ago I was dead sure that my device would have recorded an episode that lasted about 2 hours - REALLY strong beats - followed by chest pain and dizziness every few minutes for about 2 hours. Dead sure and Dead wrong - the device did not detect ANYTHING - why?because it was within my limits, my rate did not go above or below the rates my device is set at so it did not feel anything was wrong.

Good to know in a sense that it was not a real "close call" but I an still attempting to find out why it happened, If I learn anything I will share it with you all.

Reenie - I do really think it would do him well to see the person we spoke about.

Best to all!

Lisa

Date: 08-08-02 10:02

Lisa,

Thanks for your quick reply. I did find out, actually remember, that his ICD isn't set to fire until his bpm is 200+. That's why it didn't fire. I inquired at the hospital if the doctor we discussed is here and they said not anymore. He will see a Dr. Bansal in a few weeks. I haven't given up on the other doctor, but they tell me Dr Bansal has requested to see the HCM patients here. At least it's someone different than the CHF doctors they keep insisting I need to see!! Anyway, I finally have my hands on some med records and wanted to talk to you again re his septal size and atrial size. Weekends would be best for me, but this weekend I have company. Is there any time next weekend I would be able to call and talk with you? Thanks.

Reenie

Author: Mary Catania (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 08-08-02 10:07

Reenie,

I have no answers or suggestions to your questions, but I'd like to know, as a recent ICD recipient, what is the val salva procedure?

I hope all turns out well with your husband.

Best wishes,

Mary

Date: 08-08-02 10:17

The val salva procedure or technique is when you hold your breath and bear down. This creates pressure in your chest and sometimes stops palpitations. I have lots of experience with this myself. I have suffered with mitral valve prolapse and tachycardia since I was a child and have been on different medicines most of my life. (Just as a testament to those who are new to this and can't imagine being on meds the rest of your life, it can be done.) I wouldn't do anything as far as treating yourself unless you talk to your doctor, but for me and my husband, when the palpitations come they are uncomfortable enough to warrant doing this and it is very effective for us. Hope my explaination helped.

Reenie

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 08-08-02 14:04

FYI

Some arrhythmias can be occaisionally "converted" by doing val salva --but this is in NO WAY a substitute for seeing your doctor or getting medical attention --AND don't try this unless you have talked to your doctor first. You tense the muscles in your abdomen and push down as if you were trying to go to tha bathroom --don't forget to breathe, though. Personally, I've never tried it as I have atrial fib and I don't think anything at that level is going to answer to the "call of nature" procedure.

S

Author: Ada (---.netcarrier.net)

Date: 08-08-02 21:03

Hi, Reenie,

I have the very same experience that you described. It happens fairly frequently and my doctor gave me the same explanation that Lisa mentioned--the rhythm is falling below my ICD settings. My doc is still concerned, however, and is really working with me to get to the bottom of this and to find the right treatment options.

Best wishes to you and your husband!

Ada

Date: 08-09-02 00:21

Ada,

Thanks for your post. He will see a new doctor in a few weeks and we will explore more treatment options then. We've recently moved to this area, so it might take us a little while to find the right doctor, but the hospital here was very responsive. They saw him in the clinic within a short while and didn't make us go through the ER hassle and also the ER "I don't know what to do with him." So far my husband is doing well still. I'll just hope it continues to be that way. Again, thanks.

Reenie

Date: 08-09-02 12:37

Dear Reenie

Please call the office at 973-983-7429 to see if Lisa can recommend someone out there for you --or find someone who knows someone...

take care

Sraah

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 08-09-02 14:58

Sarah --

We are ahead of you on this one. Reenie and I had a nice chat and she is off in a great direction!

Lisa

Date: 08-10-02 04:17

<fake weeping and gasping>Geez, ok, fine, leave me out of the loop, that's fine, I know where I stand. *grin*
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X