[Betapace (Sotalol)]

Author: Ada (---.random.habitat.org)

Date: 08-02-02 11:52

I am starting Sotalol today. I already read up on it, but am interested in hearing from anyone who is on it. Has it been helpful in controlling your arrhythmias? Any trouble with side effects?

Thanks for any info!

Ada

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Betapace (Sotalol)]

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 08-02-02 12:07

Dear Ada

I was on sotalol for a short while without any problems at all and it does have a very good success rate. intellihealth.com has a drug guide that lists all the side effects and everything very nicely --it is a super-charged beta-blocker, so it has similar properties.

Are you going to the hospital for a few days to be started there? I just want to make sure, because there is a 1% chance that sotalol can cause bad arrhythmias and the treatment protocol recommends being in-patient when you start it so they monitor you and prevent any arrhythmias from getting out of hand.

(fyi: just about all the antiarrhythmics have a small chance of causing what they are supposed to fix.)

Let us know how it goes,

S

Author: Ada (---.random.habitat.org)

Date: 08-02-02 12:22

Hi, Sarah,

Thanks for the input! I am not going into the hospital. My doctor felt I would be safe since I have an ICD. He did advise me to call him immediately if there are any problems.

I was on Norpace previously and didn't have much success with that. I was still having arrhythmias, and I couldn't tolerate the side effects. I had vision and digestive problems. I noticed improvement with these things within a day of stopping the Norpace. I'm a little nervous about starting a new drug. I know they affect everyone differently, but I'm glad to hear you didn't have any problems with Sotalol.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks,

Ada

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 08-02-02 12:24

Dear Ada

Well, an ICD does make it a horse of a different color.

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

Sarah

Author: Midge Rollins (---.obmo.socket.net)

Date: 08-02-02 17:34

Ada. I have been on Betapace for 6 years now right after my ICD implant. At this point it has really controlled my arrythmias. My ICD has never fired and they feel it is due to the success of the Betapace. I have no adverse reactions with it. Midge

Author: Chuck (---.WLDF.splitrock.net)

Date: 08-02-02 22:40

Ada,

I did not tolerate sotolol very well but after approx 2 months I did start to see a decrease in side effects but I was eventually switched to amiodarone due to continued arrythmia problems. E mail me if you would like to know what side effects I had. [email protected]

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 08-04-02 20:17

Ada,

My dad was on sotolol for about 2 years and in that time it controlled his rythm rather well, he then "broke through" and had to be changed to Amio.

While on the Betapace he had few problems with side effects and did rather well.

Lisa

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 08-07-02 20:58

Ada -

I spoke to someone yesterday who may email you... She is on nearly the same amount of meds you had been on and is in need of myectomy.

Just letting you know!

Lisa