If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ab-Energizer's

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ab-Energizer's

[Ab-Energizer's]

Author: Midge Rollins (---.obmo.socket.net)

Date: 08-02-02 10:29

Just returned from May( my every 90 day follow up with my HCM ). They asked me to participate in a quick study. There are 4 medical institutions across the country trying these out. The Ab Energizer being advertised on TV. They are doing a study to see if it interferes with ICD's and pacemakers. First of all why anyone would put themselves through one of these exercise gadgets is beyond me. They hurt especially turned up to 10. I try to be as brave as possible. The message is if you have an ICD and/or pacemaker do not run out and buy an Ab-energizer. It did not cause mine to fire or do V-fib or tach but it did cause some extra beats. I am sure this thing only works because you are doing isometric exercises to suck in to get back from the electrical shock feeling. It feels like electrical pins sticking into you. The results are not in as of yet. I would not reccomend getting one. Another study I did was DNA testing to check for common threads in persons with HCM. If anyone has not had that done and it is offered please do so as we may all have this common thread and will be easier to pick up on future generations. Midge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Ab-Energizer's]

Author: Lisa Salberg (208.47.172.---)

Date: 08-02-02 10:47

Hello,

I can not imagine why anyone would use one of those stupid things either! They have been a few reports that say they are useless, I am shocked to hear that someone is doing this study..what a waste of time, money and resources!

Re Genetic testing - this is still "research", and in stark contrast to the above mentioned "research" this has real potential to help us. It will not be today...and maybe not next year but in the future it will be a help to all with HCM. At this time the only value to genetics, in the few families that have been genotyped is the fact they can screen the children of the family to know if the do or do nt carry the gene...beyond that there is not much to be done with the data...NOW...

Please remember that having the gene does not mean that you will "express"it or have HCM, just that you carry the gene for it. In the near future the testing will be available on a fee based system, but for now it is only research and I believe very important work.

Best to ALL!

Lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X