If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stomach Problems

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

elmatt Find out more about elmatt
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stomach Problems

Has anyone had stomach problems that doctors can not seem to diagnose other than probable IBS? I frequently have stomach issue's and they are usually related to some type of stress but I can not seem to find anything that helps, other that time. The funny thing is that I do not feel particularly stressed but I do have a myectomy and mitral valve repair coming up in the next few weeks. I have been working these last few weeks to make sure all loose ends are tied up at work and everything seems to be taken care of medically so...although I have reason to be stressed I don't really feel it other than my stomach frequently feels bloated and I often have a slight burning or sour stomach feeling. I plan on making an appointment with my GP next week; however I have done this before and they always tell me there is nothing wrong...I might have slight GERD but they are never able to give me anything that really helps. I take Prilosec OTC daily and it does help most of the time. However, every once in a while it gets bad, like the present, and nothing seems to help. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to help? Has anyone else experienced this, pre-myectomy? Will they still do the surgery if my stomach is acting up?
    Pace Bene,
    Matt

Diagnosed with HOCM 2003, ICD Implant on 3-3-05, Extended Myectomy with a Mitral Valve Plictation at St. Luke's in NY on 9-27-05

Matt,

I think you have enough on your plate to give even a cast iron stomach problems. I would expect that after your myectomy some of this issue will dissipate. Remember , everything is a big effort and taxes are paid, ie the stomach/ digestive system along with all other systems have been paying a dear price to work all the overtime needed to pay for the hardship of an overworked HCM heart. When things are opened up and working more efficiently .. YOU will notice the difference as to how much better everything works, after the road block is cleared. ( obstruction) Sometimes we still have issues after with various systems , not so tied in with an obstructed heart anymore. There is a change in things and these are all the better changes you will experience first hand.

I hope I have helped.

Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    Myect.@ Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( gradient@ 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Matt, It doesn't seem to be recognized as often as it should be by the doctors, but I know you're not the only one to experience this. A cardiologist speculated to us that it was possibly/probably an edematous (swollen) intestinal tract which would decrease the efficiency of the whole system, causing those symptoms. Your whole body could be retaining fluid in one way and another, and hopefully, the symptoms will resolve, however gradual after surgery. Best wishes, Linda

Comment

Matt, do you think it might be something to with diet. For me, cutting out all fizzy drinks - not eating between meals and eating a sensible breakfast seems to have cured by digestive ailments by reducing the amount of acid in the stomach. Some foods just seem to irritate the system.

Comment

Julie, sometimes it is hard to tell. I've tried that and at times it seems to work and other times it seems to do nothing. Sometimes a "fizzy" drink will make my stomach feel better...then other times it makes me feel bloated. The most difficult aspect of my stomach problem is that it is so unpredictable. Hopefully the surgery will alleviate some of these issue's.
          Pace Bene,
          Matt

Diagnosed with HOCM 2003, ICD Implant on 3-3-05, Extended Myectomy with a Mitral Valve Plictation at St. Luke's in NY on 9-27-05

Comment

Sounds like keeping a log of what you eat all day and when you take your meds is your best shot of tracking down any trigger foods.

The more you log the better. Column headings should be as many of these as you can track reasonably:

Time, Activity (sitting/standing/walking/etc), Food, Drink, Medication, Emotional state.

3-5 days should be more than enough to give you some hints. It is amazing what we forget about when we review ourselves at the end of the day. It is always best to log it as you go.

Good luck with the surgery!

S

Comment

Matt, I have exactly the same issues. Some days it's worse but for the past 2 years my abdomen has been feeling bloated and heavy. I tried changing my diet, eating less, not eating, etc. nothing seems to work. On the occasion I have a run of pac's or the dreaded atrial flutter it will balloon out in just a few seconds.

I've had a GP examine me with a gastrointestinal test (the name escapes me) in which everything was cleared. It seems when my heart feels good and is pumping along then the bloating isn't as bad but when it starts bouncing around my stomach fills with air and I even start belching.

It's been a long time and I still can't figure out what is wrong so I'm forced to live with it. Good luck with your procedure and hopefully that will help.

Comment

Yes, yes, yes, these stomach issues sound strikingly similar to what i experience. Like others, i'm guessing that fluid retention has to do with it (i noticed after starting Norpace that i lost 4 pounds of weigth and noticable girth). I'm formally diagnosed with GERD, but only in a lesser degree, which i think does not fit the episodes of constant 'tension' and 'unrest' in my stomach - short of the typical GERD symptoms that are more rare for me. I guess that - looking back - my GERD started around the time my HOCM became symptomatic, so there IS a coincidence.

Ad
                \"Hope is disappointment postponed\"

Dx in 2004, first symptoms 20 years ago? Obstructed, A-fib, family history!

Combined Morrow and (left atrial) Maze procedures & PVI at St. Antonius Hospital, Netherlands, March 28, 2013.

Meds (past) propranolol, metoprolol, disopyramide, sotalol, amiodaron, aspirin, dabigatran, acenocoumarol.

Meds (current) sotalol, dabigatran, furosemide.

Comment

I also have these horrible stomach problems too. I was diagnosed in 2003 with Chron's disease. But, every test since has said my GI tract showed no evidence. If you read my transplant post I've also had every GI test kown to man and they still tested clear. But, right after I became so sick to my stomach I just could not eat. Part of it was due to constipation they said but could not figure out all of it. Every few months I will get the unsettled stomach to the point I cannot handle solid foods. That's when I convert to liquids, ensure, jello, and pudding. Not the best diet in the world but it works for me.

I also think I retain fluid because when I was up at UF they gave me Lasix for three days and I dropped from 197 to 185. Are we supposed to have that much fluid on us?

Mary S.

Comment

Originally posted by Toogoofy317
                    .. they gave me Lasix for three days and I dropped from 197 to 185. Are we supposed to have that much fluid on us?
                    I know I've managed to accumulate and shed something in excess of 20 lbs of fluids (it seems to accumulate in my belly more than anywhere else and becomes quite noticeable). The amount of fluid seems proportional to our sizes. For me, watching my sodium and fluid intake has become critical (restrictions are to 2 grams of sodium and 2 liters of fluid per day.)

Rob

P.S. I'm still trying to get over the shock of the treatment you describe in the other thread! Hang in!
                    --Living life on the edge .. of a continent!
                    Charter member: Tinman Club

Comment

HCM

Dears i was diagnosed HCM coincidentally and i was struggleing with Psoriasis for 2 years i am also diabetic and suffering from

bloating. So I believe that psoriasis is the symptoms and bloating are all symptoms apart from

palpitations and loss of breath. I thought palpitations and loss of breath could be side effects of glucophage medication as i am taking 500 mg twice a day. But it can help some researchers to study these coexistence. If they are all related or not we sont know but its so stressful as i have never felt like this before psoriasis.

Also not to forget you may also hav severe gastric problems i feel very bloated all the time even if i hav small amount of food i feel very heavy... but i am diabetic too... but under control my hab1c 6.6 ...

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                      X