If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swimming & HOCM

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

DLCC2 Find out more about DLCC2
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi everyone,I would like to thank jim for posting that link.It helps to set my mind at ease.about a year ago I had went for a second opinion at he urging of my wife.this guy was supposed to be the best in our area(cardiologist).he proceeded to scare me to death.I was symptomatic for 2 days after seeing him.he called hcm ihss and told me I should basically never do anything.I have unfortunately gained back some of the weight I had lost.I was as low as 200lbs and now iM BACK TO 225.I am so upset with myself.,and now its harder than ever to get back on track.I am starting today again Im going to go back to weight watchers thats where Ilost the weight originally I dont know why I stopped going and now I feel embarrassed to go back.but Im going anyway.Imight even drive over there right now.also i didnt gain the weight back because of the above mentioned cardio.it was a gradual process,but now I have to do something about it.I believe that weight affects the way I feel not just physically but emotionally as well.I have continued the walking but move at slower pace than I had even 3 mos ago.just letting everyone know where im at.diane I was an avid lap swimmer before hcm I think its outstanding that your doing so well.keep it up one day at a time.take care mike
    One day at a time.

Comment

I was a former lover of cycling and wish I could do it but no longer feel coordinated enough to do so or that my head which does frequently swoon might lead me to fall off. Maybe I need a three wheeler or training wheels I have noticed with the progression of my dysfunction over the years that I am more clumsy and trip a lot and have taken some pretty bad spills. Also I am mindfull of Joshua Okrup and how he died while bycyling. Things I should not focus on, but crop up from time to time.

My day at the beach was not what I had hoped as far as the swimming part. The rest was great though. It was too hot so I had to keep going in the water to get cool off. Only thing was that the surf was so powerfull I was not able to tolerate it. Unfortunatelty as I watched others enjoying , my limitations were blatantly in my face. The yellow caution flags were up , people were getting pounded to the sand though they were able to persevere. My brother-in-law another post- open heart person with a valve repair a year ago even threw up from taking in water. So when I got home I was restored in faith and hope by my little swimming pool , that never lets me down.

Swimming still is great

Have a good day all and stay cool.

Pam
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

To all the wonderful people who responded to my post about swimming. Your responses were warm, supportive, insightful and as usual humorous.

I apologize for my tardiness in replies and not responding to each of them individually. You all truly lifted my spirits. And I didn't know they needed lifted.

My pool does not have a dome for the winter but I have a local pool I drive by every day on my way home. I will be becoming quite intimate it with it very soon.

I had my yearly check up with my cardiologist. And I had very slight changes in overall measurements. Last year I went down. This year up.

Don't understand why. But not going to question. They were under 1 cm

Thanks again everyone for your support and for your help.

Stay well.

Diana

Comment

Working...
        X