If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can septum size change?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can septum size change?

[Can septum size change?]

Author: Jo (---.dialup.mindspring.com)

Date: 07-30-02 22:36

I was diagnosed 5 years ago with HCM and have had 5 Echocardiograms. Each

measurement has been different. The first 1.6 then 2.4 next 2.5 then 2.3 and the

last one done 7months ago was 1.7 Can this happen or was there a mistake made in the test?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Can septum size change?]

Author: Sarah B-Board Moderator (---.ipt.aol.com)

Date: 07-31-02 12:00

Dear Jo

Have all of the echos been done by the same hospital? Have you been on a beta-blocker this whole time? My mom's hypertrophy gradually went away, but it took about 20 years.

This is a stumper for me. Oh, Lisa, where are you?

S

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 07-31-02 15:20

While each Tech can recieve different readings they are normally within a few millimeters of each other the numbers 2.3 - 2.4 and 2.5 all appear to be the "same" as they are within .2MM of each other. The other readings I am unsure why the #'s would change to such a degree, therefore I would wonder if the techs took measurements from a different locations?

Sarah the comment about your mom gradually having her hypertrophy go away, sounds more like end stage HCM?? what is her current status?

So here I am and thats my 2 cents

Lisa

Author: Sarah B-Board Moderator (---.ipt.aol.com)

Date: 07-31-02 19:50

Lisa

My mom's got a leaky mitral valve and her ECG is bad (the computer reports it as someone who has had a heart attack), but my mom never talks about her HCM and has not indicated that she has gone "end stage" in any way. Her liver function test results were high a few months ago but dropped when they dropped her cordarone dose. she is turning blue (literally) from the cordarone as she has been on it for 10 years. Because of her stroke, she probably wouldn't be able to remember if her doctor told her if she were worse and what's more, she would probably refuse to tell me. And the hypertrophy reverted about 8 years ago, so if it were end stage, I'm guessing she'd probably be dead already.

S
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X