If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a question

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

shirleymahoney Born In Tulsa Oklahoma and have a wonderful husband and 2 great children Find out more about shirleymahoney
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtlieb
    replied
    Shirley,

Like Mary said, I think there are so many variables that affect your blood pressure that you can't really go by what you see minute by minute. I've taken my BP and found it to be exceptionally low, then minutes later taken it and found it to be high... possibly because I got so upset by the previous reading that my BP increased simply from stress. Or going the other way... if I find it to be high, then take it again later when I am more relaxed, it tends to be more normal.

I have also heard that you shouldn't take your BP in quick succession because the act of taking the reading itself alters your blood pressure. I'm not sure how accurate that information is though, so perhaps someone elese can verify that.

The advice I've received from my docs regarding this issue is to take your BP at about the same time every day and in the same position and 'mood' as you have on previous days (if that makes sense). Then use the running average as your guide. One specific reading plus or minus doesn't really mean as much as your general trend.

I hope this helps,

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Ronnie
    replied
    Shirley-
    This has happenned to me also. When I take my bp & it's not so good, I usually take it several more times-just as you did.
    This needs to be on my "questions for my Cardio" list & I keep forgetting.
    I don't have an answer for you-just wanted you to know, I have this experience also.
    How are you feeling these days?

Leave a comment:

• Toogoofy317
    replied
    Actually,

I've read that a person's blood pressure can vary up to 35 points in any given hour.

Movement and other such things can change BP as well. For me exercise brings my bp down (abnormal) but does happen with hcmers.

Hope this helps.

Mary S.

Leave a comment:

• shirleymahoney
    started a topic I have a question

I have a question

I wasn't feeling to good tonight so i decided to take my blood pressure and i found it to be 120/45 and then i waited a few moments and took it again and it was 117/71 I got up and walked around and then took it again and it was 120/46, I have never experienced this before and wondered if it was something i should worry about, hope everyone is doing ok tonight

Shirley
Working...
X