If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A-fib Again!!!!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

heather Find out more about heather
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A-fib Again!!!!

Well, it happened again!!! I went into the soaring heart rates and a-fib again last night. I had just dropped my kids off at my inlaws to have a sleep over and pulled in my drive way and bam.........I felt my heart start jumping around and felt that too familiar feeling! My mom came and took me to the ER and surprisingly enough.......I converted after 2 doses of Lopressor. I was so happy I didn't have to be cardioverted again or sent out of town. My concern now is why is this happening!? I haven't had any problems for almost 3 yrs. and now 2 episodes within a months time. My echo shows no changes, I haven't changed any meds...The only thing that's changed is my setting on my pacer. My high setting of 70, which I believe was set to "override" arrythmias and potential a-fib. Now I've been turned down to 55 to let my own normal sinus rythym take over and I'm having this problems. Should I talk to my EP about turning it back up? I don't want to go to the ER all the time.........I have to start school back next month and hope to have this cleared up. Maybe it was just a fluke. The dr. there did up my Toprol XL from 25 to 50mg once a day. They said if I feel the a-fib, try taking a Toprol and then waiting 20 min. and taking another one, wait 20 min. and if still having problems then come to the ER. Hopefully, it'll be awhile before I have to try this!
    Heather, 43, non-obstructive HCM, dx'd at age 14, AICD implanted 11-02, PVAI ablation done for a-fib and a-flutter 5-2010. 2nd PVAI done for a-flutter and a-tach 3-2014. 3rd PVAI for a-flutter June 2015, dr forgot to reset ICD settings and I went into vt and almost died, July 2015, July 2015-started tx work up, October 2015, put on list in Dallas and tx'd on November 14, 2015.

Heather,

I too happen to have bouts of Afib, and generally, these may come from one of these:

- heat, and/or lack of water
    - stress, anxiety
    - to much food at a time
    - sudden rest after sudden and/or intense physical exercise
    - caffee, chocolate and other nice things

As with you, some extra meds usually work (i take toprol for a living, and propranolol to save )

Try and observe which of the above or else results in Afib after one minute or two days. You may notice some patterns, then learn to avoid them if possible (not always )

Ad
    \"Hope is disappointment postponed\"

Dx in 2004, first symptoms 20 years ago? Obstructed, A-fib, family history!

Combined Morrow and (left atrial) Maze procedures & PVI at St. Antonius Hospital, Netherlands, March 28, 2013.

Meds (past) propranolol, metoprolol, disopyramide, sotalol, amiodaron, aspirin, dabigatran, acenocoumarol.

Meds (current) sotalol, dabigatran, furosemide.

Comment

Heather - Call your EP and discuss this with him. Arrthymias are his business to control. He can't helpyou if he doesn't know about it. Pacemaker changes need to watched carefully to be sure they are right for the individual. Please keep us posted, best wishes. Linda

Comment

Heather,

I, too, am non-obstructed, but I do not have a pacer and DO get bouts of AFIB. I had an episode at 3:00 yesterday morning and it went back into sinus rhythm at 11:30 a.m. I haven't had an episode since March! I don't know why either....could be any number of reasons. It always seems to kick into gear while I'm sleeping. I take Verapamil in the morning and it seemed to calm down a few hours after taking it...give your EP a call...good luck!
        \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Heather, I know your frustration. I just went back into Afib after being cardio-verted for the first time. I only stayed in sinus for one week. It is so dissapointing, I know. I was just devistated when my Afib came back. It just came out of nowhere. I never seem to convert on my own. My doctor put me on Amiodarone, which I am not too happy about. It has a lot of bad side effects. But it seemed to help because I do not have any Afib symptons since taking it. I will go see him in a month to see what to do next. I do not want to stay on this medication for a long time, but until then, I will have to wait and see what happens. I wish you luck with staying in sinus !
          JoAnna

Comment

Joanna

Are they going to leave you in a-fib for now or what? I'm suprised they're not going to try and convert you again. It is so frustrating. I tried taking Amiodorne when I first went into a-fib 3 yrs. ago and they were hoping I'd convert on my own, which I never did. I couldn't take it. I don't remember what they were, but I had awful side effects from it! I wasn't too bummed about not being able to take it due to the long term side effects you mentioned!!
            Heather, 43, non-obstructive HCM, dx'd at age 14, AICD implanted 11-02, PVAI ablation done for a-fib and a-flutter 5-2010. 2nd PVAI done for a-flutter and a-tach 3-2014. 3rd PVAI for a-flutter June 2015, dr forgot to reset ICD settings and I went into vt and almost died, July 2015, July 2015-started tx work up, October 2015, put on list in Dallas and tx'd on November 14, 2015.

Comment

Heather,

I am very sorry to hear you have had more problems with a-fib. It's a horrible, horrible side effect of this damn disease we have. And even when we don't have it, it is like a cloud hanging over our heads. I sincerely that it doesn't happen again. I would say that it is a good sign that you converted on your own, with the help of some Lopressor!

Take care and stay positive.

Paul
              Age 38, dad of two young children, dx 1996, myectomy March 2005, a-fib issues, due for ICD soon.

Comment

Heather, I hope you are able to stay in NSR. How very upsetting to have this keep occuring. Thinking positive thoughts and hoping all goes well.

Pam
                Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Heather, I think they were going to see if I would convert on my own before scheduling another CV. I am pretty sure I have converted because I have not had any Afib symptoms since I began taking the Amio. However, I do not think I can stay on the Amio. I started having really bad indigestion (I thought) after the third day. I'm now beginning to think it is not indigestion but something completely different. I am having the worst pain in my chest and it feels like it's shooting through my back. It's a burning that I have never felt, and I can't take a deep breath if I'm lying down. Is that one one of the symptoms you felt? I know it can affect your lungs, and I'm wondering if that's what's happening. I cannot reach my doctor now because of the holiday, but I am calling him first thing in the morning. I cannot go on like this. I have started to decrease my dosage because I don't want to just stop it cold. But I want off this stuff as soon as possible !
                  JoAnna

Comment

Joanna,

I have also noticed that I feel a little bit of pain when breathing in. I think that this is almost certainly the Amiodarone, as I have never had this before. I will get an Xray, as is recommended when on Amiodarone. As long as the damage is not permanent, I would gladly continue taking it as long as it keeps me in SR.

Please let us know what happens.

Paul
                    Age 38, dad of two young children, dx 1996, myectomy March 2005, a-fib issues, due for ICD soon.

Comment

Joanna ,

I hope you have gone to get some medical help since you last posted. The symptom you describe sounds awfull and needs to ce investigated at once. There are various things that could give you this pain. I hope they are able to give you some relief and figure out what is wrong ASAP.

Pam
                      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

When I'm in AF, I experience a lot of pain, that is not caused by meds. You Toprol doseage is very low. I normally take 200mg daily (since Myectomy), but when I'm having bouts of AF, my Cardio puts me on 400mg daily (does not lead to much energy). You need to seek attention if the pain continues, because AF can cause a person to throw clots.
                        Hope you're feeling better
                        RONNIE

Comment

Working...
                        X