If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good News

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Scott Stanley Find out more about Scott Stanley
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good News

Hi to all, from Rochester, MN. This will be my home for the next 90 days.

I was going to post early this week but with the news about Lisa it took Cheri and I back alittle bit, and I decided to wait. Now for the weird and exciting news that has happened over the last 4 months

As many of you know, I had the Maze procedure in Dec. and the AF no longer controlled my life, but I never regained my strength. So Cheri and I made some decisions and decided to get back up to Mayo and get alittle check up. So off we went. After a battery of tests by cardiac and pulmonary I met with Dr. Nish. He then informs me that if I want a good quality of life the only thing he would recommend is talking to the transplant team. Dr. Limper my pulmonologist wanted to do a lung biopsy to rule out if I needed lungs to, but they wanted to do it than and we looked at them and said no because we have to go home and move. Yes, we moved to Lincoln, NE to be closer to family and support on Easter weekend.

We went back up to Rochester in April and had the surgery which ruled out lung transplant and all I needed was a heart. We met with Dr. Edwards and arranged to come back and start the evaluation to get put on the transplant list. Came home for two weeks and then back up here for a battery of tests and meet with the transplant docs. We came back home to Lincoln and on May 24th got the news that I was placed on the national list. We came back up to have an ICD and I.V. put in place a week later and came came home on the 11th of June hoping to be home for 30 days without seeing any docs.

June 13th 8p.m. I get to see my youngest play tee ball and excited to be with the boys at home. We get the call that a heart has become available and I needed to be in Rochester real quick. We were not ready but we got here and on June 14th I received my new heart and I feel wonderful. I have along ways to go I lost over 50lbs since last Dec. and my strength is low but I feel that finally my prayers were answered.

So, this is why I haven't posted in awhile. The death of Lisa really hit me hard because I was at St. Mary's hospital when she was there. Cheri and I send out our deepest regards to Lisa's family and wish them well.

Scott Stanley
    Scott Stanley

Heart Transplant June 14th 2005

Scott.

I am so happy that you have reached this milestone. May you continue to recover your strength and live a long and happy life.

Peace,

Leon
    God Squad co-moderator
    Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Dear Scott,

Congratulations on your wonderful news! Continued good health and happiness to you and your family.

We have all been mourning the tragedy of Lisa's untimely passing. Thanks for reminding us that miracles can also happen there in Rochester.
      Daughter of Father with HCM
      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Scot

Congradulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you have a long and happy life with this second chance at life

Shirley
        Diagnosed 2003
        Myectomy 2-23-2004
        Husband: Ken
        Son: John diagnosed 2004
        Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Oh my goodness, Scott...

Woo hoo!!!!

When you post an update you don't mess around do you? What great news to hear all of this has worked out so well for you, that your wait on the transplant list was so short, and that you are already well on the road to recovery from your transplant. They really do perform miracles there in Rochester, and Lisa would have been the first to tell everyone that.

Take care, and please continue to keep us updated on your progress.

Jim
          "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Scott,

Wow what a story. Congratulations on your new heart. What a miracle that is. When I was at Mayo for my myecotmy I looked at the map that had where all of the heart transplants went in the US. It is mind boggling and yes Mayo Rochester does do some amazing things.

Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery and lot of new energy too!

John
            41 years old. Diagnosed with HOCM in Feb 2005. Myectomy at Mayo on June 8, 2005

Comment

Wow!!! Congratulations!!!

Scott, this is great news!!!

Wishing you a speedy recovery and strong and healthy life.

Good for you dear

Big Hugs to You and Cheri.

Eve
              49 yrs. old
              Diagnosed at 31.
              Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
              First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
              Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
              Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
              My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
              2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Scott, I am so excited for you. It is a wonderful team up there. I received my heart there 3-19-04. I am doing great. I will be there July 9th for the picnic and then my biopsy on the 11th. Are you staying at the transplant housse. I would love to meet you while we are there. Isn't Dr. Edwards great? You can PM me if you would like and we can drop by and see you. Congratulations!
                Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Scott, I just realized that I heard about your surgery from mutual acquaintances of your parents. We used to live at Lake of the Ozarks and I received an email telling me about you having a transplant.
                  Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                  ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                  Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                  Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Dear Scott

What wonderful news!! Hope you have a speedy recovery. You are in my prayers. :P

Karen
                    Karen Cicconetti
                    Heart Transplant 1998
                    Don\'t take your organs to heaven
                    Heaven knows we need them here

Comment

Scott
                      You were so fortunate to receive a heart without the waiting game.

I am so happy that you are feeling well. Keep up the good work!

Please keep us updated.
                      Esther

Comment

Scott, This is wonderful news. I wish you a continued rapid and uncomplicated recovery. Linda

Comment

Congrats, Scott. Glad to hear it went so well.

S

Comment

Scott, This is so great to hear. Talk about surprises!! I wish for you continued healing and better and better things to come as you and your new heart begin anew.

Pam
                            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

TERRIFIC NEWS SCOTT. Good for you and your family. Now start that road to recovery and keep us posted...

Tigger1
                              " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Working...
                              X