If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fish oil and arrythmias

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish oil and arrythmias

I have read that taking a fish oil supplement every day can help people with cardiac arrythmias. One of the school nurses I work with mentioned this to me the other day...anyone taking this??
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Actually, I just read an article on this. In people who have arrythmias
    fish oil can actually make them worse. I would not take this or any other otc medicine without checking with your cardiologist. This article I believe was in USA Today. It is based on new information.
    Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
    ICD&Pacemaker 1996
    Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
    Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Fish oil may cause arrhythmia among ICD patients

Jun 17 (HeartCenterOnline) - Fish oil, a popular dietary supplement thought to protect the heart, may actually contribute to dangerous arrhythmias among certain heart patients.

Numerous studies have shown that fish oil, which contains omege-3 fatty acids, helps protect against sudden cardiac death. Studies have also shown that it protects against abnormal heart rhythms called arrhythmias.

However, a team of researchers from the Portland Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Oregon Health & Science University reported surprising results in a recent study. The study was published in the June 15 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Read the rest of the article here.

Jim
      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Thanks Jim for coming up with that. I just knew I had seen it.
        Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
        ICD&Pacemaker 1996
        Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
        Mom of Kaye.

Comment

I took one of those fish oil capsules a long time ago and sorry not to be gross but it made me burp, and everytime I did, I tasted fish -- ugh.

That was the first and last time I took that.

:P
          Eve
          49 yrs. old
          Diagnosed at 31.
          Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
          First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
          Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
          Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
          My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
          2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

I need to first say before one reads the below that I do not have a ICD. The study cited claimed these results with people who had ICD's versus those without. So who knows what I am experiencing.

"The team found that fish oil supplementation actually increased the rate of arrhythmia among patients who had an implanted cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)."

Very interesting. I have been taking fish oil for a number of years just because I heard it was the right thing to do for the heart. This was before I knew I had HCM. However I noticed when I forgot to take it then resumed It made me feel not quite right. A number of times I experimented with taking it and not taking it. I came to the conclusion it made me feel not quite right. Especially the first few hours in the morning. But since everything I read said it was good for me I have continued. Must say how convenient to find this thread as I ran out of tablets just this morning. I will not be purchasing any more at this time.

Thanks for the very informative post.
            Rich

Comment

Working...
            X