If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

just wondring if any one knew wat this means?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

purple_ness1 Find out more about purple_ness1
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just wondring if any one knew wat this means?

heya just a question

well my parents been my parents like normal deciced 2 go over the top and get me a medic alert bracelet but just some thinks that they put on it i have no idear wat it means does any one know wat
    synocope ?
    or
    SVT?
    means???

take care
    *margie*
    Margi*
    http://margi-inskeep.blogspot.com
    Forever Young

I was diagnosedwith HCM at 6.
    Went into Atrial fibrillation so had a ICD put in at 16
    Went into Heart failure at 17
    Got a heart transplant at 21(2009)

Margie,

Hi.
    SVT = sinus ventricular tachycardia. Syncope= loss of consciousness ( passing out).

A bracelet with your info on it is a good idea. I have one too.

Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Sometimes SVT means supraventricular tachycardia which is a fancy way of saying atrial tachycardia. When I talked to MedicAlert about my bracelet, they didn't want any abbreviations on it.

Is it a MedicAlert brand or just an ID bracelet? MedicAlert has a phone number on it for the paramedics to call and get the rest of your records over the phone and also your emergency contact info. medicalert.org.

Either way, it is a good idea to have the bracelet so regardless of what may or may not happen, a doctor will have a clue about your condition and your parent's would get notified right away. Those are not bad things.

PS I changed out the bracelet on mine to a chain I liked better and sometimes I change it out to a string of beads. But MedicAlert makes a PURPLE sports band: http://medicalert.org/Home/HomeCatal...Catalog=Sports

Comment

Sarah,

I read your post today and because of what you said I joined. I am also going to vacation in China this October and with all the other traveling I do I agree this is something I probably should have done years ago. I followed the link you showed for the purple bands and saw they also have orange! I love them. Thanks for that!

Doug
        NEMC's (Boston) First Myectomy 7-22-2003

Comment

Sarah is right it is supra ventricular. Remember I just had anesthesia recently

Yeah did you see they have bead bracelets also? Cool!!!
          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Glad you signed up, Doug. I feel better knowing that I have it.

I just found the beaded ones on their site. Not bad! I make jewelry, so I like changing mine out pretty often.

Pam-no worries. I hope you heal quickly.

S

Comment

Doug,

China huh? Beijing? Need a private tour of all the places that the tourists never go? I can arrange private tours of the shopping areas that they are trying to tear down before the Olympics in 2008. We think these are MUCH more interesting than the Silk Market, which as of this year has been rendered into a very fancy place to sell fake junk, or HongQiao, which is OK but only sells tourist stuff. We could even take you on a very brief, but very informative tour of the local bathroom facilities, but I would leave the details to Ed for that! We have also been told that the food we take people out for is much better than what you get on tours, but since we have not been on the tours I cannot speak for that!

Let me know if you need help.

Rhoda

Comment

Hi Rhoda,

I sent you a PM on that.

Doug
                NEMC's (Boston) First Myectomy 7-22-2003

Comment

I just wanted to make a statement on the medic alert bracelet from an EMT point of view.

While, the beaded bracelets, orange sports bands are neat, cool, and don't clash your style. I don't think they would ever be noticed by emergency personel. We as EMTs are only taught too look and see if there is a silver bracelet or a necklace that bears the star of life emblem. We just don't have the time to search for the "right" necklace or bracelet if you are not breathing. If we see the traditional bracelet that you can't miss then we gain valuble info.

In a field when seconds count to I'd rather have the big silver banger. I call it the banger because mine is always banging on something over style. I'd rather be balky and alive over trendy and dead.

Just my thoughts,

Mary S.

Comment

re

heya

thanks for the reples thats helped
                    sarah thouse colurful ones are pretty kool , maybe if i have 2 get one ill get a colurful one and it wouldent look so bad and i wont have 2 worry about people asking me why iv got one

take care
                    *margie*
                    Margi*
                    Forever Young

Comment

good point Mary!
                      One day at a time.

Comment

re

yeah that is a good point , but come on they make then in purple and lots of prutty colours how kool is that
                        , they should just retrain everyone 2 look out for colour ones 2 cos there got medic alter written on then

*margie*
                        Margi*
                        Forever Young

Comment

Mary,

I've been wondering about that. MedicAlert, however, has been selling gold chain versions almost as long as they've been selling silver. AND there are other brands of medical IDs.

Has it not occurred to EMTs to flip a wrist over? Does that not happen? The medic alert symbol's enamel has all fallen out and it is solid silver, so they are looking for the red imprint, they won't find that either.

How large is a wrist that you can't pick it up and tell there is a medic alert on it? I understand that they are having to make quick assessments, but it doesn't seem like it is asking too much to turn over a wrist.

Comment

Just try holding C-Spine, bag valve mask seal, pumping it with your elbow. While yelling directions at someone else. Unless, something jumps out at you to remind you than no. It is exceptionally difficult when you don't know what the mechanism of injury or nature of illness is. I guess I could say from experience that yeah I do a better search and it can provide invaluable info.

But, yes we do recognize gold too! As with mine the enamel yes is gone but the letters are still easy to read. I also have it on my bracelet to see my wallet card. On the wallet card it has med info then it says check PDA. I have a program on there that outlines surgeries and things like that. So, if they can hit a button they can get my history.

I'm just trying to give both sides of the coin

Mary S.

Comment

I don't know how most medicalert bracelets work, but my husband's never had the red enamel. It's pressed with the raised symbol on the top. His has a silver chain and the emblem is silver and gold both.

Reenie

Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                              3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Working...
                              X