If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to your 40's... you have HCM?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toogoofy317
    replied
    Well, you can get old parts at JC Whitney just not used hearts or anything like that!

And as a matter=of=fact I was at the salvage yard today! Picked up a coolant cover for my car!

And yes my warranty was only goof for 20 years then everything broke!

Mary S.

Leave a comment:

• Ad
    replied
    Having recently crossed the border of 40, i'm not in favor of my own proposal on the board although in biology this has been understood for quite some time. It's like buying a second hand car - we could ask Mary to elaborate on this further :P - after some years of problem free running (the warranty timeframe ) replacement parts are needed. If the car is too old, you can only find them at the scrapyard (oh well, that's probably a bit of black humor ).

Ad

Leave a comment:

• NoCrash
    replied
    Weeell ... the thread *is* a little convoluted, LOL! I was referring to not liking the part about the body being designed for 40 years, but looking back maybe this should be known as the "Ad theory". Maybe the "mtlieb theory" was the observation that alot of 40 somethings seem to come up symptomatic?

In either case, "Ad" or "mtlieb", it would be interesting to look at age statistics for myectomies for a recent year--is the age distribution uniform or non-uniform? Is there a peak in the 40's and if so, why?

In any event, it was an interesting observation that seems to be born-out for a big chunk of the people participating on this board--but then Mary throws-off the statistic 'cause she doesn't belong to the Ol Fogey Club.

Cheers!
    Rob

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied
    Originally posted by NoCrash
    Back to the mtlieb theory, I don't think there's *anyone* that *likes* this theory, but we might be living with the consequences anyway.
    Okay, now even I am confused. LoL. What is the 'mtlieb theory' and when did I propose it? I've only ever been curious about age of diagnosis, etc. and was asking for opinions here. I'm totally lost now in my own thread.

Help, help!

Jim

Leave a comment:

• mantrashak
    replied
    My position is that I was identified with HCM as a child. I'm now 36 and know I have obstructed HCM (with a wall thickness of about 3cm). I have, however, pretty much managed to avoid symptoms so far (along with drugs and ICDs). Not too sure how I'll cope if this changes though...

Leave a comment:

• Toogoofy317
    replied
    Guess I'd better run away from you old foogeys then!

Of course I still love you guys though!

Mary S.

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied
    I'm just thinking out loud... nothing more.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• NoCrash
    replied
    Pickaback,

I don't think anyone has taken any offense to anything in this message thread unless it was my mindless attempt at humor, so feel free to jump in.

Back to the mtlieb theory, I don't think there's *anyone* that *likes* this theory, but we might be living with the consequences anyway. Lisa's note earlier in the thread does point out that it is not just 40 year-olds that have this experience (the experience is just as common in other age groups). It is just that the group that hangs out in this message board seems to be in the 30-40-50ish age group and we do have alot of things in common.

Regards,
    Rob Thomas

Leave a comment:

• pickaback
    replied
    I did not mean to offend or disagree with you.
    pickaback

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied
    Originally posted by NoCrash
    Tour de Florida? Wouldn't take too much to claim the Polka Dot jersey, would it? I mean, Florida is the flatest of the flat states!
    LOL @ Tour de Florida!

I don't think ESPN will be riding along with us for that one.

What a hoot.

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied
    Hiya Pickaback,

I had my surgery last year (2004). I was 41 at the time. Getting back to the original subject of the thread, I have merely been curious as to why so many HCM'ers are either: a) first diagnosed at about this age... or b) experience a significant increase in symptoms.

Any thoughts? I'm all out today. LoL.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• pickaback
    replied
    Hi all,
    As a 39-year-old (diagnosed at 2,) I am not liking this theory.
    I haven't been here for a while. Mlieb, when did you have surgery?
    pickaback

Leave a comment:

• Tigger1
    replied
    I'm behind you Jim. I'll even sponsor your bicycle seat. Most people think I'm a real pain in the (@$$) anyway. Go for it...

Tigger1

Leave a comment:

• Toogoofy317
    replied
    Well, we could always climb Splash Mountain. It's the tallest in Fl! Actually the highest natural point in Florida is in Polk County. So in Polk we can get the Polka dot jersey. OW, that was bad wasn't it!

Maybe Lisa can make us up some HCMA jerseys? HMMM

Mary S.

Leave a comment:

• NoCrash
    replied
    Tour de Florida? Wouldn't take too much to claim the Polka Dot jersey, would it? I mean, Florida is the flatest of the flat states!

Leave a comment:

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X