If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

irregular pulsations in neck

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• irregular pulsations in neck

has anyone had those strong pulsations (irregular beats) that you can actually feel pulsating on the side of your neck and you can feel them in your chest? My heart has been pretty calm for a long time and then out of the blue about 3 hrs. ago, started beating irregularly and getting these pulsating beats in my throat/ neck area..don't know if it is AFIB or what's going on?
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dear Cynthia,

There are many places on the body where one can feel a pulse and the neck is one. My heartbeat is visible and palpable in my neck and has been for a long time.

Are you able to take your pulse at your wrist? You may be having palpitations or it could be afib. No way to know without an ECG.

I would talk to your doctor tomorrow unless your heart rate is uncontrollable or you feel the need to go to the ER.

Let us know how you are doing tomorrow.

S

Comment

thanks, Sarah....it's beating normal this morning...It seemed to go away after I fell asleep. I was trying to think if anything may have triggered it off and the only thing I could think of was the heat....I was out in the sun at a pool for about 3 hrs and it got to me. I plan on talking with Dr. M this week as I want to have him send me copies of medical records for the trip and mentioning it. I'm getting ready for a long plan ride (mid July) and hopefully this doesn't give me any problems

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Hi Cynthia
        I often can feel my heart beat in my neck. Sometimes along with that, I can hear it and feel it beat in my head. When it happens to me, I attribute it to being tired. I usually lay down and when I get awake it is much better.
        I hope you continue to feel better.
        Esther

Comment

thanks, Esther....I take deep slow breaths when I have that happen (and when I'm in AFIB)..then I try to fall asleep and usually am back to normal after..hope everything is going well for you...take care

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I was having a ig problem in this area a few years back. I could actually watch my heart beat - my necklace would bounce and I could feel my neck pound. It was then when I added verapimil to my medical management along with my beta blocker. It has helped a great deal.

Remember this was me and you are you and we are all a bit different.

Best wishes,
            Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hi Lisa,

Glad it worked for you. I'm calling Dr. M and mentioning this..I'm getting a few right now...I spoke too soon! I had spoken with him a few months back and I wanted to have my Verapamil dose lowered , so he did and I've been feeling really good for months now. Hadn't had an AFIB episode of any signficance since mid-March. Had a mini AFIB episode that lasted 4 hrs. right after I had to drink that Go-Litely drink before my colonoscopy (I know I was dehydrated and I had read someone on the website had that happen also). I've got a call into Dr. M and had asked for a doctor's name in Hawaii (we're leaving on July 13th -- just in case and to bring copies of my medical records.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Hi cynthia,maybe your right being out in the sun for all those hours might have stressed out your heart.I bring water with me everywhere I go I keep a case of bottled water in the trunk of my car.I think that the strain of dehydration is to much for us.I would still notify my doctor just to be safe.take care and feel better.mike
                One day at a time.

Comment

thank you, Mike! I think I did not drink enough and I usually do when I'm at home..I always have some kind of drink in my hand...brought some lemonade with me but never finished it and I think I was dehydrated. Boy, dehydration really does a number on HCMers!! hope you are doing well. take care

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Hi Cynthia
                    You're going to Hawaii!! I was there about 11 yrs ago during Christmas and New Years. It is so beautiful, but expensive.

I hope you enjoy yourself and that your Dr. has an answer for you.

Take care
                    Esther

Comment

thanks, Esther...I've been there a few times a long time ago before I was married back in the 80's. My brother has been living there for 26 yrs. My husband and son have never been. I just don't like the long plane ride and just hope my heart behaves! thanks and take care

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Cynthia-
                        When my neck throbs-I'm in AF. I also showed my Cardio when I went in while in AF & he said it's NORMAL while in AF. Now that the weather is so hot, I always have a couple bottles of water, in the freezer & grab them on my way out the door. They melt quickly & you have the bene of cold water-for awhile. When I'm golfing, I freeze a wet washcloth in a ziplock, over night & take that with me too-it feels great on your face & pulse points. Try it!
                        RONNIE

Comment

I am also able to see my pulse in my neck. None of my drs. seem too concerned about this. What I wonder about, is sometimes, when I over do it, I feel pressure in my neck. I don't ever actually feel my pulse in my neck, but more of a fullness or pressure. What causes this?
                          Heather, 43, non-obstructive HCM, dx'd at age 14, AICD implanted 11-02, PVAI ablation done for a-fib and a-flutter 5-2010. 2nd PVAI done for a-flutter and a-tach 3-2014. 3rd PVAI for a-flutter June 2015, dr forgot to reset ICD settings and I went into vt and almost died, July 2015, July 2015-started tx work up, October 2015, put on list in Dallas and tx'd on November 14, 2015.

Comment

An HCM heart is working harder than a normal heart and the pressure makes the pulse visible in the neck as the veins are really close to the surface there, more so than in other places.

Comment

Working...
                            X