If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clenched Heart????

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

liona Find out more about liona
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clenched Heart????

I had a new and unpleasant experience today, which I think had something to do with the strange weather pattern.

I woke up with extreme left chest pain in the midst of a morning thunderstorm, which blew over relatively quickly. The chest pain seemed as though my entire heart tissue was clecnched up--I swear I could feel the heart tissue contracting in what seemed to be a spasm. Couldn't do anything all day.

Kept checking BP and P, which didn't seem off too badly, but then again. I wasn't checking when things felt their worst. I checked the weather forecast, and there was an open space, followed by another thunderstorm.

I called my Doctor at 3pm, but didn't get him--heart still felt extremely bizzare. Then at 4:30 pm. the second storm broke and after that cleared off, the clenched sensation in my heart calmed down too---

I must admit, there were times I thought today I might be having a heart attack--but I am good at remaining calm no matter what kind of notions are flickering across my brain.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience?

Caroline P.

I haven't heard of this but I do know that the drop in barometric pressure can affect our bodies. Let us know what the doctor says.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

If you have bouts of CHF then yes the weather can affect your heart. I remember during the four hurricanes we had in Florida last year. When the pressures plummet ChFers fill up! The first storm didn't affect me much while doing volunteer relief efforts (I'm a volunteer EMT) we had the trucks loaded with bottles of nitro. Good thing we did too! All, we did that day was CHF patients it felt like! Well, that and stupid accidents like running the generator in the house and pouring hot wax froma candle on your hand to see what it would do!

Even with all of my training I also fell victim to CHF during the second storm. I was doing ok until we lost power with the humidity and the unstable barometric pressure it was too much. Of, course it happened in the middle of night about half way through the storm. I felt like I was being suffocated and a squeezing in my chest that would not go away. When the medics got there they though I had a pneumothorax but it was just fluid build up.

Just my experience with storms!

Mary S.

Comment

Liona,
        Please call your doctor and have them take a look at you. Let us know how you make out.

Take care,
        Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I am thinking here that there is more of a physiological impact here as oppposed to weather changes.

Humid weather ( higher resistance against circulation and pulmonary function.) Body system sensing changes in hydration/stress due partly to the increased physical demand put upon the body/ adrenal system during a weather crisis or any crisis., ie the kidneys for one sense dehydration leading to release of hormones that make the circulatory system grab up and retain fluid.... hence most of this is leading to a familiar course of events specific to CHF patients and those with any known or suspect lung/ cardiac problem.

Makes sense right?

Pam
          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Hi Gang----

Thank you for all your responses---

I felt so much better today and did talk with Dr. Sherrid. He said that if the pain started when you move and touching your chest is painful then it is not the heart, probably the muscles surrounding the heart-----

I must say that a possible build-up of fluid sounds more like what was going on to me---Oh well, I'm better now, but still feeling rather sore.

I have alot of problems with spasms because I also have spina bifida and a tethered spinal cord, so it makes my situation rather complex. The pains and the sensations this time were totally concentrated around the heart, so I wonder, wonder wonder.

He asked me to repeat my Holter monitor test and then I'll see him in early August.

I hope we all can enjoy July!

Comment

Mary & Pam

I've been thinking about your interesting replies---What steps have either of you taken to lessen the symptoms during storms??

Caroline P.

Comment

Liona,

If it is humid as often during a storm the barometer reads high , I am carefull to avoid any significant exhausting activity. If I am short of breath to begin with I will surely be worse if the weather is laden with thick wet molecules. A dry spot with air conditioner that removes the humidity well is the most comfortable. If it is hot as well , all the more reason to get to a dry , cool and comfortable area.

Pam
                Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I know hurricanes are not a problem for you but down here it has unfortuantly become a fact of life. They say this season is going to be just as bad if not worse than last year. We've already had a tropical storm come over this year! I think within the first week of hurricane season.

I'm ok until we lose power but with me it seemed to really happen when the barometric pressure was all over the board. So, now I just keep a really close eye on the weight. If it is during storms and stuff then getting a hold of a doc is close to impossible. Last year my primary physicans office was destroyed it wasn't till Septemeber before she could reopen that was bad!
                  So I guess sometimes iti is impossible to always be fully prepared for what happens.

Mary S.

Comment

Mary,

We have hurricanes aplenty up here in New York too! They are just not as devastating as those in Florida----

I am now begining to think that my binge on salty potato chips the day before the storms may have set me up for a bad reaction------

Caroline P.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                    X