If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question on Paxil

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on Paxil

[question on Paxil]

Author: Dora (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 07-21-02 15:35

Hi Sarah,

I have notice several times that you have mentioned about Paxil. I am taking Wellibutrin right now and was looking at the mixing of medication. It said that Wellibutrin can cause and interveaning of the meds I take which are Toprol XL and Cardizam. Was just wondering what you have experienced.

Thanks,

Dora J.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: question on Paxil]

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 07-21-02 18:49

Dora - on an unrelated topic I finally heard back from Novartis regarding ritalin and HCM. according to the woman I spoke to they did a search of all med. lit in the history of the drug and no adverse reactions were reported. While this is not a promise that it is never going to cause a problem, it is more than we knew before.

I will let Sarah respnd to the Paxil Question.

Best to all,

Lisa

Author: Sarah B-Board Moderator (---.ipt.aol.com)

Date: 07-22-02 01:07

Dear Dora

My info on Paxil is second hand --everyone who has mentioned it to me has had a bad experience with it. I was prescribed it once and after I read about it, I decided not to take it.

As for mixing welbutrin and toprol and cardizem, I can only say that you should ask your pharmacist to check for any interactions and your doctor too. All of your doctors should know all of your medications at all times to make sure that they don't mix stuff that doesn't go together. Frankly, I can't imagine being on toprol and cardizem at the same time ---you would have to scrape me up off the floor. I've taken both, so I know of what I speak.

You should not be drinking grapefruit juice as it interferes with betablockers, by the way.

take care

Sarah

Date: 07-22-02 03:52

Hello,

Yes, I know it is very early in the morning, but I drank some icetea yesterday and have not been able to fall asleep.

Sarah as for the doctors knowing all the medications I am on, I always let them know what I am taking. I did the check on the net and that is where I got my information.

At the same time I tryed the search on Zoloft which I have been on before. And it did not say anything about it interfering with the meds I take. I think I did the Paxil too but can't remember what it said. Was just wondering beings that you have mentioned it several times and when I go back for med check I am going to talk to my doctor about changing my meds.

As for the Toprol XL and Cardizem can you explain a little more about it and why you are wondering about being on both.

Lisa, am I understanding your response right by saying there is no showing as of now that Ritalin has a reaction to HCM. And it is ok to take it if you have HCM.

Thanks for checking that out for me.

Dora J.

Date: 07-22-02 03:53

Hello,

Yes, I know it is very early in the morning, but I drank some icetea yesterday and have not been able to fall asleep.

Sarah as for the doctors knowing all the medications I am on, I always let them know what I am taking. I did the check on the net and that is where I got my information.

At the same time I tryed the search on Zoloft which I have been on before. And it did not say anything about it interfering with the meds I take. I think I did the Paxil too but can't remember what it said. Was just wondering beings that you have mentioned it several times and when I go back for med check I am going to talk to my doctor about changing my meds.

As for the Toprol XL and Cardizem can you explain a little more about it and why you are wondering about being on both.

Lisa, am I understanding your response right by saying there is no showing as of now that Ritalin has a reaction to HCM. And it is ok to take it if you have HCM.

Thanks for checking that out for me.

Dora J.

Author: Susan Tyrrell (208.35.56.---)

Date: 07-22-02 08:16

Dora

I to am taking Toprol Xl and was prescribed Paxil about 6 months ago. I took it faithfully for 5 months, but did not like the way it made me feel. Seem to be making bad situations made worse. They have tried me on Adavan and Xanax also. Needless to say between the Toprol which I take a high dosage of, and the other meds, I to could never seem to function normally. So now I just take Xanax only when I absolutely have to. The Paxil seems to have way to many side effects and also heard a report on the news about a week ago, that all the meds Paxil and Zoloft etc. were more of a market ploy than actually doing what they are suppose to. Hope you do well and email me anytime.

Sincerely, Susan Tyrrell

Date: 07-22-02 10:09

Dora,

My comments re ritalin are simply that no data is in the books that there is any problem with HCM and the drug,,, so I would let your dr know that this search of the lit. was done and came out clear, therefore all should be fine...although nothing is 100% in this world, it sounds pretty good.

Lisa

Date: 07-22-02 12:33

Hi everybody again,

Whoa what a night. I had to take my son to work at 5:30 and when I got back home I took 2 Extra Strength PM's and went to bed. It took me a while to be able to fall asleep but I finally got about 4 hours of sleep.

For everyones information I get my info from drugstore.com on the Drug Interaction Checker.

I did again go on and check the medications so I could tell you the right information, instead of guessing. Sarah it does say something about taking both Toprol XL and Cardizem. Here is what it says:

Treatment with both Diltiazem and Beta-Adrenergic Blockers may result in low blood preassure, slow heartbeat, and other problems with your heart. If you are being treated with both diltiazem and beta blockers, and are experiencing ,shortness of breath, lightheadedness, dizziness, or racing or pounding heartbeat, contact your physician.

I don't know why I didn't catch this before. That is probably why I have the problems I do with shortness of breath and tired all the time. Next time I go see my doctor I am taking a copy of this with me and ask him about it.

With the Wellbutrin SR it says: Taking Bupropion and Metoprolol may cause the amount of metoprolol in your blood to be too high.

With the Paxil it says: Treatment with both Paroxetine and Metorpolol may result in an increased risk of side effects of metoprolol.

With Zoloft it doesn't say anything about any side effects.

Susan, I too was taking Xanax as needed for anxiety attacks but haven't taken any for a long time. I don't like to take it unless I absolutely have to because it is very additive.

Lisa, I thought about the fact of my boys being on the meds and that they have been on the meds for a long time and so far it hasn't caused any problems, and the fact that I would not be able to live with them without there meds. I decided it was best to leave them on it for now. They are both almost impossible to live with without meds and if they don't take it for one day, because they forget, I am ready to strangle them. Well enough for now.

Dora

Date: 07-22-02 14:13

Dora - Nice research work and I think you have answered many ??'s for others. Now you need to bring all this data to your doctor and see how it is effecting YOU, and allow him/her the oppurtunity to help balance your medications..Please do not try to adjust your meds yourself.

Best to all!

Lisa Salberg
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X