If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The day after!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Toogoofy317 non-obstructed hcm, AICD 11-01-02 and 10-6-05 Find out more about Toogoofy317
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The day after!

Geeze! Why is it always the day after a car accident is the worse? I woke up this morning I can barely walk and my neck is killing me.

For those of you that didn't get the small refences in my other posts here is what happened. (kind helps me vent too!)

I was driving down the turnpike here in Fl or my way to my PCPs office to let her know about the news I got on Friday. When this blue mini van with ALabama liscene plates cut me off ( i hate tourists )! I slammed on my brakes and lost control I went into the medium. Lucky for me I'm not sure this morning it was in a spot where the cops do U-turns in the medium. So, I tried to turn the car because it would have been a head on with the post. I didn't quite get it done but the impact was at the center and left of the car. What's worse my air bags never even deployed. It's a 2000 model car! I thought the airbags were to deploy at a ten mph frontal collision!

Anyhow, I sat in my car for like fifteen minutes. At that point my back was already hurting and my chest! NO ONE EVEN STOPPED! So, I went out of my car looked at the damage couldn't even open the hood. Went back to the rail and retrived my liscense plate holder and my grill. I'm so tired of hospitals that I'd be darned if I went into one now. So, I inched my busted car along to my docs office. What a nice person. She took me right in helped me file my claim. They then did all of the x-rays in the office and she examined me. She was quite clever of finding ways to keep me there so she could observe me and make sure there wasn't something really bad wrong. She had the nurse working on my transplant phone calls while she ran out to the store to celebrate my b-day from the 12th.

She said I had a bad case of whip lash and offered me muscle relaxers and pain meds. I was stupid enough to think that my pain patches would be enough to cover the additional pain. What was I thinking I think she also noticed how much stress and pain I was in so she stood behind me while I sat in one of the office chairs and she massaged my neck for about ten minutes. I think I ended up spending about three hours in her office. But, I got a sense of how much she really does care about me. I wish everyone could have a doc half as nice as her!

Well thanks for the vent!

Mary S.

Boy, you had a pretty rough day. I hope that you feel better tomorrow!

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

You really do Birthdays in a big way , down there Mary. That was no way for you to be celebrating Belated Happy Birthday to you . From one gemini to another, I think our twin side causes all the problems in our life, what do you think? Too bad we can't give the twin trouble back. Hope today is better for you.

Pam
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Hi Mary

Be careful, the next few days can also be bad. I wish you soon get better.

Fausto

PS No! I do not have a nice doctor like yours...

Comment

Oh boy. Mary, if we were all there we could massage your neck in shifts...

This is too much! Time for a little boring routine in your life. I hope you are feeling better soon and that it isn't the kind of whiplash injury that stays with people a long time.

Then there's your car, too. I know you rely on it to get around. How has it fared?

Well, I'm just wishing you a good long stretch of plain old boring routine days Keep us posted, Lisa Inman

Comment

Mary, I'm so sorry about your accident. How stressful. Take care of yourself. You do have a great doctor.
            JoAnna

Comment

Well, the adjuster came out this morning. The damage came to over 2000 about half the amount of my cars value. But, it was not totaled that is the good news! I would not have had good enough credit to get another car so a sigh of relief. I do however have a $500 deductible I don't know what I'm gonna do about that! I'm gonna take the car over to the local body shop and get their estimate. If their price is lower than what the insurance estimated do I still have to pay 500 off the top of that or the difference. If that makes sense. I.E. they estimated 2000 and the body shop charged 1500 would I be even or would the insurance only cover 1000?

At least I have rental insurance too!

Still real sore!

Mary S.

Comment

Mary ,

I don't know how they do it in Florida... In Mass. we have no fault insurance for all accidents and then if there is liability the insurance companies fight it out. The deductable is the deductable here.

If the adjuster determines the damage to be $2000. The $500 is deducted and they send you a check for the remainder.

If we decide to get the job done at a lower rate at other then an authorized place we also agree to pay any additional costs for damages that may be found. ( sometimes there is more damage when the body people get in under the carriage etc)

The check is mailed directly to the insured, so we could actually pocket the money and do as we wish. If we go to an authorized repair shop and sign the check over they can put in for and request additional $ if they prove there is more damage then seen originally by the adjuster.

BUT as insured, are ultimately responsible to fix and maintain our vehicles as originally photographed by the insurance company we use. Each policy/ insurance company has specifics.

The last accident I had was a rear end $245.00. I buffed out the area with wax( there are some pin hole scratches left). The $ went in my pocket. I have also had the experience where the insurance company required me to come in and have post pictures taken. This was for a big accident claim. Check with your agent and ask what their policies/ specifics are. Good luck.

Pam
                Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Unfortunatly the damage was more than I or my roommate could repair. You can only do so much in a two car garage. I took it to the body shop and they do the repairs according to the estimate. But, now as I'm looking at the estimate. He did not include the price for my aftermarket fog lamps. Which cost a pretty penny. I'm also not real happy with having to drive my car until July 5. I told the insurance adjuster about my brake light coming on when I accelerate fast from a stopped position. But, it also was not included in my estimate. My car also does not seem to accelerate as fast as it used to. Should I take my car to a mechanic to check it out and if they find a problem call the insurance guys. Also, the adjuster told me that my airbags should have deployed in this accident. It was a head on collision with a guard rail! Who should I call about that. If they didn't go off during this collision I want to make sure that they do work! Just like my wonderful defibrillator what is the use of having them if they may not work when they are supposed too!

My only other accident that I used my insurance on was totaled so I didn't have to go through all of the nitpicking that I am now.

Honestly, I just don't feel very safe driving this car today. Much less for the next two and a half weeks!

I'm just tired of dealing with all of this.

Mary S.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                  X