If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pleasant Experience at Cleveland Clinic

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pleasant Experience at Cleveland Clinic

[Pleasant Experience at Cleveland Clinic]

Author: Grace K. (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 07-20-02 22:49

I just returned home from Cleveland Clinic after a 4 day stay under the care of Dr. Craig Asher. I want you all to know that I went there a scared defeated patient who thought her life was over and returned confident that I had a full life ahead of me.

I was diagnosed with HCM about 4 months ago. My Cardiologist scared the daylights out of me...telling me to stop ALL exercise, plan on an early retirement and probably prepare for surgery which would have to be done in Washington or Toronto only!!

After I saw myself going into a deep depression I realized I had to take control and began doing research on my own. Knowing nothing about this website, I did manage to come up with Cleveland Clinic as my first choice for a second opinion. I traveled from New Jersey and saw Dr. Asher on Tuesday. After a battery of tests and several consults, I walked away feeling confident my life changes would be minimal. I will continue my visits with Dr. Asher several times a year...however, a new local Cardiologist will be my new challenge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Pleasant Experience at Cleveland Clinic]

Author: Sarah B-Board Moderator (---.ipt.aol.com)

Date: 07-21-02 02:13

Dear Grace

Congratulations on taking charge of your care. It is amazing the difference it makes, isn't it? Did Dr. Asher know of anyone who might know of anyone in your area to use as your local doctor?

good luck

Sarah

Author: Stephen H (---.114.93.184.connectohio.net)

Date: 07-21-02 02:49

We live in Youngstown,75 miles from the Clinic.My Dad had quintuple bypass and mitral vave replacement there and they are just GRRReeat as Tony the tiger would say.He was 84 out of the hospital a day early and is doing fine.They are tops in my book.I have dilated cardiomyopathy and am in the process of retiring from my beloved job.And this website has helped me SO much in this last difficult week since my final diagnosis last Fri.(a week ago.)I have a really good Cardiologist and he is available to me through his nurse with answers to questions between visits although I'm trying my best to keep a notepad to take them in each visit and ask then.Good luck...Stashua

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 07-21-02 10:13

Grace -

Glad you found us! Where in NJ are you from... I am a Jersey Girl myself!

Make sure you send you mailing information to the HCMA so you get our newsletters and information!

Best wishes and Congratulations of being such a good detective and finding the care you needed!

Lisa Salberg

President

HCMA

Date: 07-21-02 11:45

Hi Lisa..

I was born and raised in a small town in North Jersey..Verona. I currently (for the past 20 yrs) reside in Toms River (about 40 miles No. Of Atlantic City). I look forward to being part of this support network.

Grace

Date: 07-21-02 11:49

Thanks for your best wishes Sarah. I didn't even ask Dr. Asher if he knew a Dr. here for me. I have a few good leads and by the end of this week, I promise you, I'll be in 10 different offices until I feel confident!

Grace

Date: 07-21-02 11:53

All the best of luck to you, too Stephen. I think you're so fortunate to be close to the Clinic. That's my only regret here. Maybe we should all consider the possiblility of retiring to Cleveland??

Grace

Author: Sarah B-Board Moderator (---.ipt.aol.com)

Date: 07-21-02 12:47

Hey all

I have to step in and say a few words for the other top heart clinics--

The Minneapolis Heart Center, the Mayo Clinic and um, that other one I always forget. However, it would be great to live next door to one.

S

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 07-21-02 18:44

Grace,

I can help you find some people in NJ who are good and some in NY that are very good with HCM. I am in Morris County and know Verona VERY well --I love the park off of Eagle Rock Ave. AND THE Italian Bakeries!!!

I was just in your area 2 weeks ago at Sea Side with my daughter ( I know it is not what it use to be but you have to bring a 7 year old Jersey girl to the boardwalk - and Wildwood is TOO far!)

If you do not mind going into NYC I can recommend a very good doc. Call the office for more information.

Best wishes!

Lisa Salberg

HCMA

973-983-7429

Date: 07-21-02 21:08

Lisa,

I'll be sure to call the office for more info on the doctor. I'm glad you enjoy the Jersey shore. I still enjoy the boardwalk in Seaside Heights....it's an excellent place to walk and "peoplewatch."

Grace
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X