If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulmonary Arteries

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

heather Find out more about heather
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NoCrash
    replied
    I'm on shakey ground with this, i.e. I can't point to an authoritative source, but a-fib and enlarged atria create the pulmonary hypertension condition. This seems to be supported by both your results and mine. I'm glad that my case is well within acceptable limits and in your case that it seems to have been a temporary condition.

Cheers,
    Rob

Leave a comment:

• heather
    replied
    Thanks for your replies Rob! I wonder how common secondary pulmonary hypertension is with HCM...?? I read thru some more of my records and noticed that during my 1st bout w/ a-fib, after being in it for 2 mos. during the TEE, they said I had mild PH. The next echo though said the heart size and pulmonary arteries looked to be back w/in normal range. So, I guess I'm not at that irreversible stage.

Leave a comment:

• NoCrash
    replied
    Heather,

"Pulmonary hypertension" is the problem I was trying to describe! The right words just weren't appearing in the tips of my fingers last night. If someone has "irreversible pulmonary hypertension" then it's time for heart-lung transplant.

When I was researching criteria for heart transplantation I ran across a web site (link below) that has the following discussion.

"The following variables, either alone or especially in combination, were considered relative contraindications to transplantation. These are after an aggressive challenge with one or more vasodilator or inotropic agents either alone or in combination while maintaining a systolic blood pressure of >90 mmHg: pulmonary vascular resistance >5 Wood units; transpulmonary gradient >15; and pulmonary vascular resistance index >6 Wood units."

The article is at the end of the following link to the Transplant Journal.

Transplant Journal

Regards,
    Rob Thomas

Leave a comment:

• NoCrash
    replied
    Heather,

If the pulmonary pressures are too high then the heart is working harder than it should to move blood to the lungs for oxygenation. There is a cutoff limit for the pulmonary resistance above which the transplant folks insist on heart and lung transplant vs. just a hear transplant.

If I recall correctly from my own records, the resistance through the pulmonary system is measured in "Wood units" and is measured during a heart cath procedure (angiogram) given as part of the screening tests required before a potential heart transplant.

I'll double-check some of this tomorrow and update if I find my memory was particularly faulty tonight!

Hope this helps,
    Rob Thomas

Leave a comment:

• heather
    started a topic Pulmonary Arteries

Pulmonary Arteries

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the issue of pulmonary artery pressures for me. I was going thru some of my records and noticed that the drs. I used to see really watched and measured my pulmonary artery pressures because that was one of the problems my dad had w/ this disease and when it came time to discuss transplant the drs. told him he'd have to have heart and lung due to his high pressures, which 13 yrs. ago a heart/lung transplant didn't have very good survival rates. I"m not sure what they are now. Anyway, my point being that the dr. I see now hasn't mentioned my pressures and I wonder if it's something that I should mention or what. Also, when I read back over my Mayo Clinic records, I believe they had my PAP's measured, but didn't make any mention of them.

Thanks,
    Heather
Working...
X