If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discrimination

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Aimee Find out more about Aimee
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lisa Inman
    replied
    My first reaction to Aimee's letter was to be angry and frustrated and wonder why so many people have to be so judgemental....and I still do feel that, but with some further thinking I'll also allow that they may also be trying to be helpful to who they perceive to be handicapped by helping keep the spots from being illegally parked in by those they perceive to be not handicapped/faking it. Also, at a big parking lot today I saw the long line of handicapped parking spots and noted that they were all marked with the universal handicap signs that show a wheelchair, and all had the extra space for wheelchair loading and unloading. I guess to people that haven't thought it through, the message is pretty strong that it is for people who use wheelchairs. I don't need or have a handicapped parking permit, so I don't experience it. But I know if I did I'd be one of those with a nasty retort at hand.... However, I suppose that in a more generous frame of mind we can see it as one more need for education--such as a letter to the editor of local paper pointing out that the handicapped permit covers all disabilities that need to park close for whatever reason, whether or not the disability is visible....
    Lisa Inman

Leave a comment:

• cynthiaG
    replied
    I have no tolerance for ignorance! I probably would have told that person where to go and it wouldn't be UP! The only time I'll speak up to someone if I see them throw litter out of their window. That gets my juices flowing!

Leave a comment:

• Sarah
    replied
    Glad I could bring a few smiles to the thread. Humor gets me through --and my friends and support system. Oh, and not owning a car!

Leave a comment:

• Aimee
    replied
    Humor

Thank you all for your replies and the whit and humor..Sarah you made my day. Thanks again . This web site is so awesome .. it helps so much to know that you are not the only one out there and that what happens is shared by others.

Leave a comment:

• shirleymahoney
    replied
    Pam that is one rule that stands nation wide, I even got a placcard for my dad when he got here from Oklahoma

Shirley

Leave a comment:

• Pam Alexson
    replied
    Eve,

Fyi, It is illegal for anyone to share their plackard and would result in a fine and revokation of the priviledge to the owner if they are caught . The one who owns the plackard must be in the car and exit it within 10 minutes, as they are the one who needs the plackard. There are probably more rules and may vary from state to state.

Pam

Leave a comment:

• Eileen2345
    replied
    Shirley and everyone too,

I do not have an ID card that goes with my placecard, just my drivers license. I was never issued an ID card when I recieved my placecard from the Motor Vehicle Department.

(Good thing I now have a scar to prove it.)

But on the flip side of this.....
    Sometimes there are no available handicap parking spots in the shopping centers I go to.
    And not to judge anyone else but I have seen some people park in the handicap spots and walk real fast into the store. I wonder how many people share their placecard (I do not mean us). I never give mine out to anyone.
    I don't know.... things that make you go hmmmmmm.

Respectfully,
    Eve

Leave a comment:

• Reenie
    replied
    Shirley, I would have gotten the officer's name and badge number and reported him to the station. That's totally uncalled for!

Reenie

Leave a comment:

• Eileen2345
    replied
    Yes I encountered the parking police before.

I just say, "have a nice day." And I keep on going.

Course then again, I have been with Ryan for 11 years, I am used to tuning out idiot remarks.

Sorry you were treated so badly at the spa. Please do not take it personally, people are afraid of liability and they just do not understand.

Hugs,
    Eve

Leave a comment:

• Sarah
    replied
    Maybe someday the handicapped placard will come with a cap that says "If you aren't my doctor, don't decide how far I can walk. Thanks."

Leave a comment:

• shirleymahoney
    replied
    I know exactly what you mean, I was approached a week ago by an officer and he ask for my ID card that goes with the placard and he said who did you con out of this and i showed him my scar on my chest and he said i'm sorry and tipped his hat and said have a good day it does make you stop and think and i would be the last to look down on someone holding a sign that says i will work for food or something, we haven't walked in their shoes we don't know what happened to him you know, it could have been he lost his family you know and feels he has nowhere to go, i mean you have to go through alot here to get a placard and i thought it was very rued of him to even ask

Shirley

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied
    Ag,

I am sorry to here about your day with the idiots!
    Re the parking issue - I too have met the 'parking police' who just feel the need to evaluate my health and let me know how I look like the last person who needs a handicap parking spot! to which i alway reply "looks can be deceiving, and thanks for the medical evaluation but i will stick to my doctors advise over yours" as I smile and walk away.

i am sending you a big hug.

Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Midge Rollins
    replied
    My answer to handicap parking comments were "Well looks can be deceiving". I would just keep on walking after I said that. People can be jerks Aimee. Keep on smiling.

Leave a comment:

• jmurray
    replied
    Sarah,

I loved your reply for aimee!!!! I kept reading it and couldn't stop laughing. You have a great attitude!

John

Leave a comment:

• Sarah
    replied
    To anyone who bugs you about the handicapped parking, say "I'm getting a new heart --too bad I can't say the same for you."

As for the spa --it happens all the time. I have had to sign my life away for pedicures, to take a yoga class, etc. I would call around town and see if anyone has experience with the "chronically ill" or medical conditions. My mom and I were at the Ritz in Pasadena's spa and they had someone who specialized in people with strokes.

Good luck with everything,

S

Leave a comment:

Working...
X