If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

colonscopy and coumadin

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• colonscopy and coumadin

I will be having a colonoscopy in the near future. I just read that you go off coumadin for 2 weeks prior?? anyone had one??
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi Cynthia, I don't know if you read my prior posts, but I had a colonoscopy two months ago, and went into Afib. My cardiologist is almost certain that the prep done the day before may have caused it. It apparently really dehydrates you, (and I drank lots of fluids like they suggest) but this is what could have caused the Afib. I think he is right because I started feeling the shortness of breath in the morning on the way to having the colonoscopy, not after. I thought it was just because I hadn't eaten the day before, but it continued, which is why I called my cardiologist. He told me the next time I need to have a colonoscopy, I will probably have to be on intravenious fluids the day of the prep. So now I am on Coumadin waiting for the right time to have a cardioversion. I don't mean to scare you, and it may not even be the case with you, just letting you know what happend to me. I would certainly communicate with you cardiologist about having the colonoscopy in case you haven't already done so. I wish I would have. Even though the doctor performing the colonoscopy knew I had a heart condition,and gave me the extra antibiotics, he should have consulted with him. A lesson learned. In a previous post Sarah told me about Lovonox, an anticoagulate used between going off the Coumadin and having surgery since I may have to have surgery for a hernia in the near future. You may want to look into that. Let us know how it goes.
    JoAnna

Comment

I just had a "routine" colonoscopy and the time off coumadin prior to the procedure was no where near two weeks! Heck, I had a hernia surgery and the cardiologist only had me off coumadin for 4 days prior to the surgery. The colonoscopy was easy in comparison. Time to get your gastroenterologist talking to your cardiologist about coordinating your coumadin/INR.

You'll probably want to make some lime and/or lemon Jello for your dinner the night before (no red, orange, or purple allowed).

Regards,
      Rob
      --Living life on the edge .. of a continent!
      Charter member: Tinman Club

Comment

Two weeks is a long time. I stopped Coumadin 4 days prior to my stent procedure, which was done @ CCF-you should check w/Cardio. Also, according to my Cardio & GI, premedicating is NOT indiczted for a Colonoscopy(they both researched it). But dehydration can be a problem/or not. I've had 4 Colonoscopys (my Mother had Colon Cancer & HCM), with very minimal complications.
        You'll do just fine!
        RONNIE

Comment

Thank you so much everyone for your input! I did have a few questions about going off the coumadin before my endoscopy I had yesterday. I checked with one of my cardiologists and a nurse who is part of an anticoagulant team in the HMO. They are excellent...they monitor the INR's for everyone on coumadin and are very knowledgable. I'll be sure to check with them again when the time comes for the colonoscopy
          \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X