If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do others find it hard to do stuff while bent over??

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

heather Find out more about heather
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do others find it hard to do stuff while bent over??

I have always had a problem w/ this and just thought I'd post tonight and see if it was another common "side effect" of HCM? I don't remember my dad having problems doing things bent over. I would much rather sit down and do things and then exert the extra energy to get myself back up. That is much easier for me. When I do bend over I can't breath well and sometimes I even see stars when I come back up. I know we've had the stars discussion and that that is a common effect in HCM.

Just wondering!

Heather
    Heather, 43, non-obstructive HCM, dx'd at age 14, AICD implanted 11-02, PVAI ablation done for a-fib and a-flutter 5-2010. 2nd PVAI done for a-flutter and a-tach 3-2014. 3rd PVAI for a-flutter June 2015, dr forgot to reset ICD settings and I went into vt and almost died, July 2015, July 2015-started tx work up, October 2015, put on list in Dallas and tx'd on November 14, 2015.

Heather.

I can get very dizzy when bending over and especially when I stand up afterward. I sometimes even get dizzy if I go a stairs too fast. I am not sure if it is my meds, HCM or both. I have heard others with HCM talk about the same kinds of symptoms though.

Peace,

Leon
    God Squad co-moderator
    Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Me too , can not bend over without same symptoms. I believe it is equivilent to lifting heavy objects. We tend to not be breathing regularly with heavy lifting , sprinting , bending over, crawling, pushing , pulling. All can effect the heart if too vigorous, strenuous and as well interfere with circulating blood volumes temporarily. These that I stated are a few listed on my do not paper with regards to activities I am not able to engage in.

Hope this helps.

Pam
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

This is a very common issue for those with HCM. I have completely given up on attempting to scrub anything (such a shame..NOT , I see it as the one positive thing about HCM )
        With all kidding aside, bending over is difficult for many. You should discuss this with your doctor and see if there is anything you can do with your meds to minimize the symptom.

Be well,
        Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

This is an all too familiar 'feature' of my HCM. It was much worse before I had my myectomy and my vision would completely blacken out when I would stand after bending over. Post-myectomy it is better but still keeps me miserable when I do bend over or squat and then stand up.

At one time it was explained to me that we have an artery right at the bend of our leg and when we bend over or squat it is compressed thereby limiting the blood flow to the heart which is already having issues. Now take that for whatever you think it's worth as knowledge but avoiding it so it doesn't happen is the best bet.

I always think I'm an amusing picture sitting on a chair in front of the fridge when I have to clean it out because I don't just stand there bent over cleaning! However, with a small child I often find myself wanting to just quickly bend over to pick up something. I've found ways to ease some of the impact on me including kneeling down on one knee (which is only a suggestion for those who do not have compromised knees) and slowly coming back up to a full standing position.

Take care and I hope knowing you're not alone gives you some comfort!
          Lynn Stewart
          HOCM 4/2002
          Cleveland Myectomy Crew 8/2002

Comment

Thanks for all the replies!! Speaking of having little kids around and having to pick things up all the time, I've gotten pretty good at picking things up w/ my feet - toes and then bringing it up to my hands......My husband calls me monkey feet and laughs everytime he sees me do it!!
            Heather, 43, non-obstructive HCM, dx'd at age 14, AICD implanted 11-02, PVAI ablation done for a-fib and a-flutter 5-2010. 2nd PVAI done for a-flutter and a-tach 3-2014. 3rd PVAI for a-flutter June 2015, dr forgot to reset ICD settings and I went into vt and almost died, July 2015, July 2015-started tx work up, October 2015, put on list in Dallas and tx'd on November 14, 2015.

Comment

I had to reply because this is a constant issue with me. Lightheadedness, stars, dizziness... I don't always know how to explain it, but I know bending over, or squatting makes me feel pretty funky. Somedays are worse then others, but its always a challenge.
              I too have a small child, and have had to adjust my methods of picking things up, or even bending down to tie shoes, etc. I either have to sit right down on the floor or I use my toes. (Or somebody elses hands )

Things like picking up the dirt after sweeping, cleaning the tub and bathing my son- are getting increasingly harder. Its frustrating that I have had to get help with such simple tasks.

Take care,

Pam
              It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Short reply: yes... me too.
                \"Hope is disappointment postponed\"

Dx in 2004, first symptoms 20 years ago? Obstructed, A-fib, family history!

Combined Morrow and (left atrial) Maze procedures & PVI at St. Antonius Hospital, Netherlands, March 28, 2013.

Meds (past) propranolol, metoprolol, disopyramide, sotalol, amiodaron, aspirin, dabigatran, acenocoumarol.

Meds (current) sotalol, dabigatran, furosemide.

Comment

Yes, I get very short of breath if I try to do anything while bending over or squatting. Ignore the symptom and push it a bit more & I'll get dizzy, see stars, or begin to black out--especially when I stand up. So I try not to ignore it!

As I understand it when anyone bends or squats the intrathoracic pressure (the pressure inside the chest) increases because the actual space is compressed. That increases the pressure on the outside of the heart, preventing it from expanding as much as it usually does during diastole (the heart's resting phase). For an HCMer this means the heart fills with a bit less blood than it usually does. Added to the fact that our hearts are already stiff and have relatively small chambers, we immediately notice the effects of slightly less circulating blood.

I have found that if I can keep my body straight at the waist this doesn't happen. So I kneel when I'm trying to do anything on the floor. Or lie down to play with kids and babies!

I hope this makes sense, Heather. I always appreciate it when I understand why I experience a particular symptom!

Pat

Comment

Yes, sometimes it can be hard and make me SOB. Squatting is usually easier (on the heart anyway, not the legs!)

Makes me think of my dear dad when he was in his 80's. He didn't have HCM, and was pretty active up to his death at 88, but of course was slower than when he was younger. He used to complain that he didn't understand: the shorter he got, the farther it was to the floor...

Lisa Inman

Comment

Many years ago I read that Chinese have fewer problems with hips and knees than do Americans because they squat to use the toilet and squat to rest or to wait or even sometimes just to chat. This is becoming much less common today, but still people squat here much more than in the US. I believe this as I am finding that my knees are much more flexible now than they were three years ago. So, you see it may be another advantage for us HCMers if we squat more.

In my 30's when my daughter was young, I had a single story house and I made the bed every day. But I found that this was very difficult because I got dizzy and felt faint every time I bent over to tuck in the sheets. So I made a game out of it with my daughter. She would hide under the half-made up sheets and let me find her, which allowed me to lie down on the bed to rest. Then in my 40's I did not have such a good excuse so I told my husband I wanted a two story house so I could keep one floor clean for company and not worry about the beds. So, when we moved to Virginia we got a two story house, and I almost never made the bed. Then in my 50's we moved to a tiny apartment in Beijing where the bed needs to be made because students constantly come over, so my husband makes it every day. I guess the moral of that story is that problems often have many solutions!

Rhoda

Comment

Yeah, been there. I stopped picking up my golf tee's after I teeoff for this very reason - a big golf swing followed by bending down to pick up the tee is usually enough to put me on my face

Comment

I've discussed this w/my cardio & he says there isn't anything he can do-my Heart isn't pumping the blood. Bending over is horrible, for me. Some days I can't even bend over to tee up my ball. I only play golf now with my Husband, I can't carry my bag & I need to rely on my Husband to tee up my ball too.
                          I've leared to be very creative with my feet also!
                          RONNIE

Comment

Working...
                          X