[Waiting Help]

Author: Jerry Salzman (---.indy.rr.com)

Date: 07-18-02 09:46

Hi All,

I could use some suggestions on getting through the waiting period until my consult in 3 weeks. It is becoming very difficult. Work is very hard. I am lucky that all you are great employers with excellent leave benefits (I'm a federal employee). If I stay home glued to the chair or computer I am alright, doing anything however is very tough.

Besides my HCM symtoms, I know depression is an issue. I really am scarred of either the ablation or myectomy. The docs tried Xanax but I do not like the way it makes me feel. I definitely could not work with it.

Any suggestions on passing this time would be appreciated.

Jerry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Waiting Help]

Date: 07-18-02 09:47

Whoops!

The first message took awhile to post, so I thought I blew it. Sorry this went up twice.

Author: Lisa Salberg (208.47.172.---)

Date: 07-18-02 12:43

Jerry,

I have a few hints...

1. check into the message board a few times a day...this way you can SEE you are not alone in all of this.

2. pay attention to those posting of post myectomy/ablation people who are doing so well!

3.TALK to your family and friends about things other than HCM.

4. Try to have some fun...go to a movie...get out where you can be with people and do what you can...understanding that you have limits on you at this point - - so do not get upset if you cant walk all over the place.

5. remember its only a few weeks and how time flies!

AND always know we are here for you!

All the best,

Lisa

Author: Board Moderator (Sarah Beckley (---.tnt37.chi5.da.uu.net)

Date: 07-18-02 14:29

Dear Jerry

If this is your first consult, then I would try not to worry about procedures that you may not even need (ablation, myectomy, etc). "Worry is paying interest on borrowed trouble." Edison.

I know this is hard to do, but Lisa is right, there are a lot of great experiences with both procedures here in the board threads.

Remember to breathe, laugh, and do what you can.

keep us posted

Sarah

Date: 07-18-02 19:50

Lisa / Sarah,

Thanks for the comments. I was having a bad day, so I might have make it sound worse than it is. I just am not patient, and there are times when I start to feel normal, then something else happens. For example, yesterday at work I was doing great and was even moving some boxes around in my office. Then walking down the hall I started having trouble. It was one of those bring you down to earth depressing moments.

Sarah, as for worrying too early, I am definitely known for that, but this time that probably isn't an issue. The local docs are only giving me these 2 options. They are not HCM experts, but I am not their only HCM case and I have seen several of the cardiologists. In fact, the hospital program yesterday made the US News & Reports top 50 programs (44th) for heart treatments. I told my wife that it will be hard to push the insurance that I need to go to a specialty center when their program is rated in the top 1 percent in the country. Of course it's hard to argue against the Cleveland Clinic since they were rated #1.

Jerry

Author: Board Moderator (Sarah Beckley (---.tnt4.chiega.da.uu.net)

Date: 07-18-02 23:01

Dear Jerry

Well, what in the world were you doing moving boxes around for? There's your problem, right there. ; )

Good luck with the insurance anyway.

hang in there,

S