If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another hospital trip

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Toogoofy317 non-obstructed hcm, AICD 11-01-02 and 10-6-05 Find out more about Toogoofy317
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another hospital trip

Well, here we are again yet another trip to the hospital! I tried to just ignore it but when the visiting nurse got there he was very concerned. He finally got me to call out the ambulance and off I went yet again. When I got there it was another set of tests x-rays all that fun stuff. I'm sure I'll be glowing soon! Anyway, they found out that I had bronchitits, CHF, and pleural effusion. The ER doc told me it wouldn't be a long stay so I wouldn't need a PICC or central line. Why do I even listen to them anymore? On top of that for some reason they thought I was allergic to dilaudid which is the pain med they normally give me while in the hospital so they decided to try nubain. What they didn't know is that it reverses the effects of my pain patch. So within fifteen minutes my pain was getting worse, I started shaking uncontrollably, my breathing got worse, and was very agitated. So, you know what the nurse told me: " It's all in your head". Well, nothing was done until shift change about two hours later when the nurse coming on duty found out what the other did. She immediatly got orders to reverse the effects. By that time I thought I had completly gone insane. She apologized. Aren't these people supposed to know these things!!!!!

Turns out it was the florinef causing most of the problems. While in the hospital they pulled off about 18lbs of water weight! They were at the point of having to use a needle to get some of the fluids off of my lungs. Boy am I glad we didn't have to come to that! Who knows how they would have screwed it up. So, we are back on the lasix becuase they want to keep me on the florinef to keep my bp up. Go figure.

I also did not get accepted into the University because the app was late. Oh well. I also got booted out of my classes because in the one week between semesters I didn't get my final in. Honestly, at this point I really don't believe it can get any worse.
    thanks for listening

Mary S.

Mary---My heart goes out to you. You just keep trying and trying and then something physical goes wrong. I think you are very courageous and wonderfully persistent. Maybe that courage and persistence will hop to the fore again soon. Meanwhile, it doesn't hurt to sit and lick your wounds while you regroup.

Sue

Comment

Dear Mary,

I am so sorry that you are having such a rough time. Please do not despair. I pray for you that you will be healed, encouraged, and blessed beyond your dreams.

Rhoda

Comment

Dear Mary, I am so sorry you have to go through all this. I sure hope you can rest up and get someone who can figure out what is going on with your health and get you help. You may not feel like it, but you sure are tough and not one to give up.

Hang in there, and I'm wishing this turns around soon.

Lisa Inman

Comment

Sorry I did not reply sooner. Deression took over and I finally got to a breaking point. I just coudn't handle being sick, broke, dejected, and alone.It felt as if no one were listening or even cared anymore. So under the direction of my EAP councelor I checked myself into the hospital. Unfortunatly, the only way to do this is through the ER! While waiting I developed more chest pain and SOB. Just gotten out of the hospital the day before! So, I was first admitted for that and it took seven days to get that taken care of by that point I was quite misearable! So, when I got to the psych unit it was SCARY! I was hoping for intense counciling. What I got was locked down in a unit where they took every dignity that you had away. At one point one of the patients took a computer monitor threw it at a staff member and it hit her in the head. Not even two hours later this same patient was throwing the phone against the wall and later that day she had managed to get out of seclusion and the staff did not know where she was located!

I was also disgusted with the lack of compassion the staff had. I had done something kinda stupid yesterday. They gave us a choice to either go to our little rooms or go to the gym. so since I'd not been out of an in hospital situation for two weeks I picked the Gym. Well, temptation got the best of me and i joined in on some Basketball and soon found out that I can't do that anymore! I got severe chest pain and SOB again. They took my BP and said it was fine. I asked for my prescribed pain med and after an hour nothing still had not been done. I was in tears from the pain another patient felt for me and went to the nurse and told her. The nurses reply" YOU NEED TO LOOK OUT FOR YOURSELF AND NOT WORRY ABOUT ANY ONE ELSE". Finaly, after two hours they gave me my medicine but the pain persisted througout the night and I begged them to send me to the ER they said since my BP and O2 were ok that there was nothing cardiac going on! So, when the psychiatrist came in today I told him this was a mistake and not the help I was looking for! I also told him about my pain and he wanted me to see a medical doc before leaving. I waited all day and found out at six he wasn't going to make it in. I asked to leave earlier to see my own doctors but was refused. So, finally the psychiatrist let me go because he felt I could get better help outside of the hospital!

The best counciling I got out of the whole thing was today when I spoke with the chaplin! The only person in the world that actually seemed to listen and care about what I had to say.

I think the world would be better if people would just stop and listen. Not talk not criticize just listen. you may be suprised as to what you might learn or the impact it has on the person that needs someone to just listen!

Mary S.

Comment

Dear Mary,

We are listening and praying! Please keep talking.

Rhoda

Comment

Wow, your last 2 weeks were awful! I hope that you can start to heal now. We're still listening here.

Reenie
              Reenie

Husband has HCM.
              3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Mary, I am so sorry for all the stuff that has been going on in your life. I wish there was some way I could help. I am praying for you and thinking good thoughts for you. Keep talking we are here and listening.
                Donna B. HCM & ICD. 2 sons with HCM. Brother passed away from HCM at the age of 39. Mother has HCM.

Comment

Thoughts and prayers Mary, faith and courage for all your trials and tribulations.

Pam
                  Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                  Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                  Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                  SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                  [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                  Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                  Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                  Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Mary,

Much of what you need lies within - you are a strong person with a heart of gold (albeit a rather large heart that doesnt always work so well, but made as Gold all the same )

Hang in there and keep your eyes focused on the future. Many great things are in your future and we are all looking forward to seeing you shine.

Big hugs and much love,
                    Lisa
                    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                    Currently not obstructed
                    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Thanks so much for the kind thoughts. I really need them right now! I spoke with my cardio today because while in the hospital they changed all of my cardiac meds. Turned out for good reason the two I was both had side effects of depression and one even had psychotic episodes as an effect. Boy, I wish they would have told me before hand!

Just gotta take one day at a time.

Mary S.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                      X