If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird Symptoms

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

heather Find out more about heather
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Symptoms

Hello All! For the past 2 wks. I've been having some strange symptoms. In the past month I have gained about 10 lbs. I was put on an anti-depressant 2 1/2 mos. ago, so I attribute the weight gain to that and have stopped the med. Lately though, I have had an upset stomach off and on and a very full feeling in my stomach, esp. the top part of my abdomen. I also feel like my chest is tight. I don't really feel SOB but do feel from time to time that I need to take a deep breath. I just saw my cardio. last month and everything was clear. Had an echo done in March. I'm hoping I'm not having fluid retention in my abdomen. I really feel bloated by early afternoon. I haven't been tired, no swelling in my ankles or feet, and don't feel SOB when I lay down. So, I'm not sure what it is. After I had my ICD replaced at the end of March, they turned my low HR down to 55, where it used to be 70. When it was at 70, I was constantly paced, but now I'm only paced 18% of the time. Does anyone think this could have anything to do w/ any of this?? I just wonder if I had a stronger HB when I was paced continually and now it's weaker when it beats on it's own? I need to loose some weight too. I can always tell when I've gained weight because I feel worse and get winded easier. I weigh more now than I ever have and we leave in 2 wks. to go to the beach..... ......won't that be lovely! I go to my PCP next week for a check up on a new med he put me on for Insulin Resistance, which is Glucophage XR (aka Metphormin). I know this med can cause some stomach irritation. I will ask him about these symptoms then. Just thought I'd ask the experts here!! I'm just really worried about the tightness in the chest and bloating feeling in the stomach. I also have some wheezing in the throat with the tightness. It's not in the lungs or deep, just right in the throat, so like when I yawn I get a wheezy noise.......... Any thoughts or ideas??
    Heather, 43, non-obstructive HCM, dx'd at age 14, AICD implanted 11-02, PVAI ablation done for a-fib and a-flutter 5-2010. 2nd PVAI done for a-flutter and a-tach 3-2014. 3rd PVAI for a-flutter June 2015, dr forgot to reset ICD settings and I went into vt and almost died, July 2015, July 2015-started tx work up, October 2015, put on list in Dallas and tx'd on November 14, 2015.

Heather,

Give the HCMA office a call on Tuesday and speak with Lisa. She may have some suggestions for you. The number is at the bottom of the page.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kelly
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.

Comment

Kelly

I never like when I get that reply. Makes me worry there's really something wrong w/ me!! I will try to give Lisa a call tomorrow. It's been a few years since I've talked w/ her anyway! I did see my PCP. He said he didn't think I was having any type of HF and attributed my tummy problems to my IBS and the combination of new meds!

The small town I live has recently had a new cardiologist move in and I have made an appt. to establish care w/ him, since my dr. is 2 hrs. away. I thought it would be a good idea to have someone locally. So, I will post after that appt., which isn't until June 21st.

Thanks!
      Heather
      Heather, 43, non-obstructive HCM, dx'd at age 14, AICD implanted 11-02, PVAI ablation done for a-fib and a-flutter 5-2010. 2nd PVAI done for a-flutter and a-tach 3-2014. 3rd PVAI for a-flutter June 2015, dr forgot to reset ICD settings and I went into vt and almost died, July 2015, July 2015-started tx work up, October 2015, put on list in Dallas and tx'd on November 14, 2015.

Comment

Heather,

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. I share some similar issues. My pacer was turned to demand only as my heart rate was lowered by increasing doses of beta blocker and I only pace about 10% . Over those 2 years my weight did also creap up a little more then I wished. The lower activity , less stamina and endurance ie; lower heart rate to keep my heart from overworking , has indeed effected some of the same problems for me. My abdomen even prior to myectomy would enlarge by mid afternoon. Still does and is measurable. I have been taking metformin for same reason for 8 years. I also have IBS and chronic persistant diverticulitis( a colectomy to be done in several months) . Fiber in a galss of water 2-4 times a day is helping to get me through the tough spots.

I suggest you measure daily, your abdomen , several times , and keep a journal , also daily weights, symptoms, and share this with your doc when you see him.

By afternoon , I could use my belly for a drum if it had the right percussion . There is also that discomfort in the right upper quadrant , goes away if I get off my feet and lie down , rest. By no means do I have an active life, not possible, but my life is very active for my HCM heart. The liver can and often does become engorged with blood/ fluid , when our hearts are tired and overworked by sometimes just being vertical for too long. Everyday is different and we all are different however similar in many respects.

Hope this helps,

Pam
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Dear Heather,

You shouldn't worry that it is something bad. It is just that a message board is not the ideal place to discuss complicated and/or personal medical issues. We make do, obviously, but there are a number of topics and situations where Lisa will insist on talking "off-line," particularly on specific individual situations as opposed to discussing general medical guidelines, treatment options, etc. You may have noticed that doctor recommendations do not happen from Lisa on the board, either.

I hope you are feeling better.

S

Comment

Heather,

I did not mean to scare you. Sarah is correct in the intent of my posting.

In addition, if you would like us to send an info packet to the new cardio, just send me a pm with his address. Just a little extra information for him to refresh his memory if he is not too familiar with HCM.

Let me know.

Kelly
            Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.

Comment

Working...
            X