If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AFib

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

JoAnna Find out more about JoAnna
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Paul, I have my doctor's appt tomorrow. In the meantime I have just been dealing with the Afib as best I can. The last blood test I took showed that I was in the right range, and I took another one today for tomorrow's doctor visit. Hopefully that one will show me in the right range, and so hopefully my doctor will schedule the cardioversion for me. I am going to ask him about the TEE to see what his opinion is on it. I will let you know what he has to say. I am glad you got cardioverted and are feeling better. I just want to feel normal again. It's been so long, 2 months since I went into Afib. And you can bet that when the time comes to having surgery for a hernia if I need it, I will ask about the Lovonox that Sarah mentioned. I'll let you know what the doc has to say tomorrow.
    JoAnn

Comment

Hmm, reading this all, i'm a bit surprised as to why the docs wait so long before submitting anyone for a CV. As far as i'm aware, there is a 'window' after the onset of AF during which you have a very low risk of throwing a clot. In that timeframe, conversion (either using medication or defibrillation) could be done without danger.

Then there is another reason to try conversion asap: apparently, the longer the heart is in AF, the more likely it may become more difficult or even impossible to convert back to sinus.

When i had my last bout of AF, and overnight it wouldn't convert with an extra dose of BB (in my daily dose, i have room to spare without collapsing ) i went to the ER the next morning. After some carotis stimulation it went back into sinus, but otherwise i would have had a CV the same day.

Ad
      \"Hope is disappointment postponed\"

Dx in 2004, first symptoms 20 years ago? Obstructed, A-fib, family history!

Combined Morrow and (left atrial) Maze procedures & PVI at St. Antonius Hospital, Netherlands, March 28, 2013.

Meds (past) propranolol, metoprolol, disopyramide, sotalol, amiodaron, aspirin, dabigatran, acenocoumarol.

Meds (current) sotalol, dabigatran, furosemide.

Comment

Ad,

You are right about all of that. I believe that a-fib establishes new electrical pathways in the heart: 'a-fib begets a-fib' as they say. There is supposed to be a safe window of 48 hours before a clot can form, but Sarah had a stroke after only 26 hours!

A-fib sucks. I am now on Amiodarone and it feels as though my skin is burning. Maybe just temporary side effect????

Cheers,

Paul
        Age 38, dad of two young children, dx 1996, myectomy March 2005, a-fib issues, due for ICD soon.

Comment

Paul, I also take Amio (2 years) and the skin burning (itching) sensation has not been a temporary side effect for me.
          I get it mostly on my arms and back of my neck.
          It happens only in the summer for me and although I use tons of sun block, I still think our ultra sensative skin is affected.
          I also use lots of skin conditioners that seem to help.
          If you find something that works let me know.
          Stay Well
          Glen
          Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
          So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
          Good luck and stay well.
          Glen

Comment

Joanna,

Good luck tomorrow. 2 months is way too long. I would have gone crazy (I actually think I have a little!). Let us know how it goes.

Glen, did you notice any muscle weakness or a general feeling of being unwell from the amiodarone? I get it, but it might also be because of the fact that today my INR was over 7 (and maybe as high as 8 because I continued to take my dose the day after my blood test). Also, how are your a-fibs now?

Take care,

Paul
            Age 38, dad of two young children, dx 1996, myectomy March 2005, a-fib issues, due for ICD soon.

Comment

Originally posted by progers
              it might also be because of the fact that today my INR was over 7 (and maybe as high as 8 because I continued to take my dose the day after my blood test).
              Perhaps you should stay away from sharp objects and stop shaving for awhile?

Take care,
              Rob
              --Living life on the edge .. of a continent!
              Charter member: Tinman Club

Comment

Paul, did not notice any muscle weakness or unwell feelings.
                The sun thing has been the only side effect I have had. I just had my blood tests a couple months ago and all levels were good.
                There has not been any abnormal rhythms, aside for some PVCs, detected on my last two Holter Tests.
                My A-Fib never was bad, usually when I didn't look after myself and allowed myself to get dehydrated or drank too much alcohol did it occur, but it always corrected itself.
                But they detected a short V-Tach episode on the Holter 15 years ago and I have been taking antiarhythmias ever since.
                Glen
                Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
                So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
                Good luck and stay well.
                Glen

Comment

amiodarone makes you suceptible to sun poisoning. you should always wear a hat and zinc oxide sun block (this is not the same as plain sunscreen) and stay in the shade as much as possible.

yeah, that "window" you mention. not so much. see my previous posts on other threads about my stroke in that "window."

everyone is different.

Comment

Ok, I went to my cardiologist yesterday and got good news. My INR was still in the right range, and so I am scheduled to have my CV next Thursday. (depending on a blood test I have to take Monday). I asked my doctor about the TEE procedure and why they didn't do that so I could have been cardioverted earlier. He said he didn't feel it was necessary in my case because my blood pressure, heart rate, etc. was good as well as my other vital signs, and although I do feel uncomfotable, I am functioning ok, going to work, etc. He said it could be a pretty invasive procedure, and he didn't feel I needed to go that route. As far as the window of time for being cartioverted, I'm wondering if I had already passed that window by the time I was diagnosed. I had been feeling shortness of breath at least two weeks before I contacted him. I had no idea what was happening to me since I had never experienced any symptoms of HCM before. I just thought it was something that would go away. I didn't even really know what AFib was. What a wake-up call that was. Well anyway, next Thursday it is. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it will do the trick and I don't go back into Afib again. Although I am aware that the chances are I just might. At least now I am aware of it and I know that becoming dehydrated can bring it on in my case so I can at least do my best to avoid that situation.
                    I'll keep you posted.
                    JoAnna
                    P.S. Ad, I love that picture of your cat. I am a cat lover, I have three of my own. They are my babies !! And one of them actually has HCM too. I guess it's common in cats. She is on Atenolol like me.

Comment

Joanna,

Glad to hear you are finally getting a cardioversion done, though I don't agree with your cardiologist making you wait so long when you were so uncomfortable. But he is right, there are risks associated with doing a TEE, even if they are small.

I've heard Maine Coon cats get HCM - I have two but they don't have it luckily.

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

Oh well, i've been in bouts of AF the past 6~7 years without knowing what it was and how potentially dangerous it could be... my GP attributing it to 'stress' (well, guess your body compensating for the effects of HCM gets a bit stressy indeed) but nonetheless prescribing BB's that always helped to convert back within 1~2 hours.

Only after the diagnose of HCM in 2004 (and some comments of my GP about a cardiologist that saw me in 1996 and missed the diagnosis of HCM even though family history was mentioned ) did i start to connect the palpitations with HCM. Only recently, having another bout of AF, i went to the ER instead of taking a BB to have it recorded (and that's when i started looking into the effects of AF).

Guess the danger for strokes is higher when you get older... But some on the board have had misfortuned meetings with this nasty trait of AF

PS Yes, i know cats and specially Maine Coons have HCM too. Unfortunately, this darling is no longer among us (she went mad and after my wife, difficult choice whom to keep :P )

Ad
                        \"Hope is disappointment postponed\"

Dx in 2004, first symptoms 20 years ago? Obstructed, A-fib, family history!

Combined Morrow and (left atrial) Maze procedures & PVI at St. Antonius Hospital, Netherlands, March 28, 2013.

Meds (past) propranolol, metoprolol, disopyramide, sotalol, amiodaron, aspirin, dabigatran, acenocoumarol.

Meds (current) sotalol, dabigatran, furosemide.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                        X