If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matthew's Condition

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

ajesaitis Find out more about ajesaitis
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• progers
    replied
    Dear Andrew and Family,

My deepest condolences for your loss. We can only imagine the pain you must be in right now, but please know that everyone in the HCMA community is thinking about Matt and you and your family.

God bless,

Paul

Leave a comment:

• heather
    replied
    I wanted to wish my condolences. Matt sounded like a wonderful guy!

Heather

Leave a comment:

• JoAnna
    replied
    Andrew, I just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and your family. Although I am fairly new to HCMA and did not know your brother, I was affected when I read that he had passed. He certainly was well liked. Please take care and gain strength in the wonderful memories you have of your brother.
    JoAnna

Leave a comment:

• angall
    replied
    Andrew
    I am so sorry for your loss. I extend my sympathy to you & your family. I know the feeling of losing someone to HCM. It is a horrible disease, but thankfully, there is so much research now than what there was 30 years ago.
    From what I've read, your brother was a very active member of this community and will be missed.

Sincerely submitted

Leave a comment:

• Glen Beamish
    replied
    It's sad that someone you converse with in this forum who you feel was a vibrant humours good person is suddenly gone.
    Although I never met Matt, it still jolts you.
    Andrew, let me add my condolences to you and your family.
    God Bless.

Leave a comment:

• Toogoofy317
    replied
    I just wanted to add one more thing about Matt. In our many phone conversations he coached me along through EMT school. When I finally made it I remember him saying that when he got his new heart that he was going to become an EMT and Paramedic. He said he wanted to give back to the world and maybe help in the way that so many helped him.

Lisa I did the same thing last night. I read his post many times. I wanted to read a message that I had saved in my file but could not retrieve it. It was a birthday message and it meant alot to me. Is there anyway I can retrieve it?

Thanks,

Mary S.

Leave a comment:

• Linda
    replied
    Andrew, My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I was one of the lucky ones who was able to meet Matt, if only for a short visit. He was a very special person. I'm glad he was able to be surrounded by loving family and friends. Linda

Leave a comment:

• Reenie
    replied
    Andrew, I'm so sorry to hear Matt has passed away. I remember when I first joined the HCMA I used to look forward to his posts. He was a great source of info and I really loved to read what he had to say. I will send a card to your mom and sister.

Reenie

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied
    Andrew,

I am so very sorry to hear the news about Matthew. Although I did not know your brother personally, we like to think of all our fellow HCM'ers as family here. I spent some time just now reviewing some of Matthew's posts on the board, and he certainly seemed like a warm, funny, and caring man who kept a great sense of humor and outlook on life despite his recent troubles. My prayers are with you and all of Matthew's family today.

Anyone who would like to read some of Matt's posts on the board can find them here.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• michael obrien
    replied
    andrew Im sorry to hear that your brother passed away.he was on my mind and in my prayers.I extend my condolences to you and your family.thank you for keeping us posted as to his condition and unfortunate passing.sincerely mike OBrien

Leave a comment:

• Pam Alexson
    replied
    Dear Andrew,

I am so very sorry for you and your family's loss of Mathew. He will always be remembered by us all here as his HCM family, and we mourn his loss with you. Please know that my thoughts and prayers for comfort and peace are with you and your family during this time of great grief.

Pam

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied
    This one is really hard. I have known Matt for over 3 years. I am re-reading his notes and emails as I type. What a sweet man and a truly wonderful person he was. He had a great attitude. He writes " I was diagnosed at 15, had a myectomy at NYU at 20 and was in perfect health, no meds until 30. Since then I have had chronic A/F and been in and out of CHF." He was 39 when he wrote this. He came to the 2002 Annual meeting with his sister who lived on Long Island.

He went to see Dr. Maron in Minneapolis who suggested he get on a transplant list, which he did as we all know. It is just very sad that a donor was not found in time for Matt.

The HCMA will miss Matt, as will his friends and family. We were all blessed to have known him and we will be thinking of him at this years meeting. I know that he will be with us - and for that I am grateful to know we have one more angel on our team.

Rest in Peace dear friend and may God bless you.

Sincerely,
    Lisa Salberg

Leave a comment:

• SharonBates
    replied
    Dear Andrew, Betsy, Donna and all of Matt's family,
    My prayers are with you through this difficult time. Matthew is in God's precious arms, comforted and at peace. Through all the tears and sadness please take a few moments to reflect on all the good times you had together as a family and as friends. It is in moments like those that you will find the peace of your beloved Matthew to lift the corners of your sadness into a smile of joy.

We are all here for a specific amount of time, unknown to us until we return to our family waiting for us in heaven. I know this in my heart of hearts that some day we will be reunited.

I am sad that I was not able to meet Matthew in person. But happy that I was able to support him through my heart screening efforts and offer my services to his children before they moved from Arizona. Please know that I will always hold a special place in my heart for Matt and he will always be one of my HCMA family and a dear friend truly missed on earth...

...until we meet again.

Love and Blessings,
    Sharon

Leave a comment:

• Sarah
    replied
    my deepest sympathies

Dear Andrew,

Please accept my heartfelt condolences on your loss. Matt was an amazing person. He will be missed by everyone who knew him.

Sarah

Leave a comment:

• Toogoofy317
    replied
    Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. I Knew Matt and he was truly a wonderful person. He was the very first person I met that had HCM. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was doing a tour at the house of innoventions and he walked up and immediatly started talking. I was newly diagnosed and it was the first time of having some one know what I was going through. I remember saying the phrase "you don't look sick" my how I hate that phrase now. But, he replied you don't either. I just feel so bad for not contacting him more I could have been a better friend. But, am relieved he has such a caring family that saw him through it all.

He will be sorely missed. We have lost a kind person indeed. There are no words that will fill the void in your life but know he changed at least one life.

Sincerly,

Mary S.

Leave a comment:

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X