If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Health Issues

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

JoAnn Find out more about JoAnn
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Health Issues

Hi, I'm JoAnn
    I have only written a few times in the past, but I do log on often to see how everyone is and what's going on. I have been relatively sympton free since my diagnosis in 1975 when I was 16. I take 150 mil of Atenolol daily. I'm 46 now, and have been doing pretty until around November when I started having pain in my lower left side. After many tests including blood tests, ultrasounds, a colonoscopy etc. The doctors are telling me they think I have a hernia. But before they do surgery they want to make sure everything is ok with my cardiologist. Well around two weeks ago I started experiencing shortness of breath, and it has continually gotten worse. This past weekend I was barely able to do anything without getting winded. It feels like I have something heavy on my chest, especially when I walk or do laundry or something. And this morning when I got up I was really puffy. I couldn't put my ring on. I have been feeling bloated a lot in the last couple of months, my clothes have been getting tighter and tighter, but I figured it had to do with swelling because of the hernia or whatever was going on. Whenever I eat just the smallest amt I feel really full. Yet I'm gaining weight. I told the doctor who thinks I have a hernia about the tiredness, etc. (which wasn't as bad as it is now), and he said it could be because my body is trying to deal with the pain and stress of the hernia. I did do a holter monitor and had an echo done last week, and today I go see my cardiologist for the results. I called him yesterday after being so short winded this weekend and his nurse was able to get me in sooner than my orig appt. I am also going to another doctor on Thursday to get a second opion about the hernia, but in the meantime, I'm just really worried. I will keep you all posted after my appts, especially with my cardiologist.
    Thanks for being here for me.

Also on another note. My cat was diagnosed with HCM last month. She is my baby. I've had her 15 years. I did know that it is common in cats, and when the vet detected a murmur I asked if it could be HCM. He asked me how I knew about that. Ha, do I know about that !! So after an ultra sound and other tests (there went my tax money) she was officially diagnosed with HCM and high blood pressure. She also has to take atenolol like me--and another high-blood pressure medicine. But since being on her meds she seems to be much more frisky.
    Again, thanks for being here. I'll talk to you soon.
    JoAnn

Wow

That is a story, i hope for the best with this hernia and hope all your tests come out fine and i'm so sorry about your cat and by the way that is an old cat!!!!!!!!! Best wishes for the both of you

Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

JoAnn, I hope you get all this taken care of quickly. I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. Please keep us posted, best wishes, Linda

Comment

joann Im sorry your not feeling well,but with the test results coming in maybe their can be some medication change or adjustment that will make you feel better.I have a friend who is a vet and he told me that a lot of cats have hcm,but thank God yours is feeling better w/the altenol.feel better and keep us updated.take care mike
        One day at a time.

Comment

Jo, has your doctor discussed congestive heart failure with you? It seems with you getting puffy, nothing fitting, being short of breath, etc that you probably have some degree of CHF. Ask him to check on this for you.

Reenie
          Reenie

Husband has HCM.
          3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Well, I saw my cardiologist and he told me that the results of the holter showed I was in A-Fib. He thinks that maybe the prep for the colonoscopy might have triggered it. Of course, we can't be sure, but it does make sense because it was right after that day that I noticed the symptoms. I figured I was just weak from not eating for a whole day, but things just seemed to get worse after that. He told me that the prep for the colonoscopy is a huge stress on our body, maybe even more so than the procedure itself. (and if you've ever had to do that you know what I'm talking about.) Anyway, I am on a blood thinner, potasium and a diruretic. In a week I have to take a blood test and then he will probably schedule me for the shock procedure (I forgot the name of it) to get my heart back in rythym. The hernia operation will have to wait until I get back on track. I can live with that. I'm not in too much pain from the hernia. Until then I am just taking it as easy I can. My cardiologist was upset that the surgeon performing the colonoscopy didn't consult him first. The surgeon was aware that I have HCM, and he did have anti-biotics in my IV, but he really should have contacted the cardiologist before doing the procedure. I did not even think about that, so please keep this in mind if you ever have to do such a procedure. I will admit I was scared when my cariologist told me that I was in A-Fib. He explained to me what it is and after awhile I felt a little better. Today I feel much better, and I am relieved just to know what it was that is making me feel so bad, and also what kept making my clothes tighter and tighter. That was really depressing me !!
            I am calling Lisa tomorrow morning to discuss this with her more. I will keep you all posted.
            JoAnn

Comment

JoAnn, Thanks for the update and sharing info that could help someone else. What a shame you had to learn the hard way! At least you have an explanation and a plan in place. I'm sure you'll feel a lot better just talking with Lisa. Good luck, we'll be watching for updates, Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X