If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone had an upper endoscopy?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone had an upper endoscopy?

I think the next step my gastoenterologist may do is to perform an upper endoscopy? Has anyone had this procedure?
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cynthia

I had one about 10 years ago, and they aren't bad i was knocked out so that made it much better, i was told i may have a slight sore throat but i didn't and my daughter is getting ready to have one on May 12th, i will let you know how hers went

Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Cynthia,

I had one about 3 years ago, without the benefit of sedation - in Holland they tend to reserve that for very anxious patients. The only thing i got was a shot of lidocaine spray in the throat to suppress the gag reflex.

Even with me fully aware of the procedure, i didn't find it too bad. It didn't hurt, i didn't gag, nor had i any difficulty breathing. The 'worst' thing was that my stomach bloated from the air they blow in to have a clear view. So you may find yourself behaving somewhat indignified during or after :P .

From my experience, this is not something to be afraid of. I remember telling the doctor that it took a little swallowing (this is an untranslatable reference to a dutch saying 'even slikken - just swallow' which is something like 'it's not pleasant, lets get through and with it). Now to get the procedure done you have to 'swallow' the tube.

Hope i can take some nervous edge off - think of it, swallowing a sword can also be done and this tube has no sharp edges!

Ad
      \"Hope is disappointment postponed\"

Dx in 2004, first symptoms 20 years ago? Obstructed, A-fib, family history!

Combined Morrow and (left atrial) Maze procedures & PVI at St. Antonius Hospital, Netherlands, March 28, 2013.

Meds (past) propranolol, metoprolol, disopyramide, sotalol, amiodaron, aspirin, dabigatran, acenocoumarol.

Meds (current) sotalol, dabigatran, furosemide.

Comment

Cynthia,

As a matter of fact I had both an EGD and colonoscopy done on Tuesday. Fortunately, here in the U.S they do sedate you! If you do have an AICD make sure you tell them. They will want to know esp if they have to do any kind of cautery (ex. if a biopsy cuts a little deep).

As with everything that has been going on they got cardiac clearance and my local guy said I had to get an IV antibiotic to go with it. As far as the procedure goes I don't remember it. Actually, I don't really remember much of that day at all. I think I had some problems with anesthesia but, I always do. So, I was out the whole day and for some reason still felt groggy the next.

Just so you know the worst part for me was the prep. After I drank the mag citrate I was worshiping the porcelain throne all night.

Hope this helps!

Mary S.

Comment

thanks, guys! This helps me a lot..

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

After I drank the mag citrate I was worshiping the porcelain throne all night.
            Mary, this way of writing really made me .

It speaks volumes about your tenacity for life and your positive outlook!

:P Ad

Combined Morrow and (left atrial) Maze procedures & PVI at St. Antonius Hospital, Netherlands, March 28, 2013.

Meds (past) propranolol, metoprolol, disopyramide, sotalol, amiodaron, aspirin, dabigatran, acenocoumarol.

Comment

Well Thanks Ad! I needed that today.

I've had to look at life that way. If I didn't I would have been gone long ago. I've always lived by the motto "G-d will not give me anything I can't handle", But there have been a few times I've had to ask for a break. You know the saying whatever doesn't break you makes you stronger. A great many of my friends said if that was true I must be right up ther with Wonder Woman! If only I could fit into her size clothes

Mary S.

Comment

I, too, have had an upper endoscopy a couple of times. My greatest disappointment was that I could not stay awake! My biological curiosity made me want to see it all. The doc said he would keep me awake for the lower, then put me completely asleep and turn the table around and do the upper. He hinted that if I tried real hard, I might be awake for some of the upper. But, that first bit of anesthesia hit for the lower and I was out for the count. So I missed both ends. What a disappointment.

I had had the same doctor's son as a student in my major's biology class the previous two years, so the gastroenterologist gave me copies of all the pics to take to class. I never did show them. Somehow I could not imagine saying "This is a pic of my guts!" to a class of 300 students. As I biologist I am not at all shy about such things, but it seemed a bit much to explain the details of Mary's porcelain throne. A further side light is that I had that doc's son twice because he failed the class the first time, even though he was one of the best students in the class and made an "A" the second time. It turned out he really wanted to be a musician and was just majoring in biology to test whether he really wanted to be a doctor or not. after the second year he left and went to music school and is now a musician. Meanwhile, you can imagine how it felt when I realized that the father of a son who had failed my class was going to take a long look at my inner workings!

Side note: I am proctoring an exam in my Master's level Ecology class as I write this. They actually have internet to the great wide world here in my classroom, although it is completely cut off from the faculty housing and offices. So, I am going to get to catch up while they take the test. This is a class that meets for 4 hours on Tuesday afternoon, so even though the test should only take 2 hours, I am sure some of the eager ones will go on for 4 hours. It will be great to catch up with you all.

Rhoda

Comment

If I may ask, what symptoms were you having to have the endoscopy performed?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I have oesophagitis, a.k. irritation of the lower part of the oesophagus.

Just a little bit, nothing to be worried about (i take nexium when it hurts). Endoscopy done to check for a Barrett's (which i do not have).

Ad

Comment

I have Chron's disease and need regular check ups since it seems mine is flaring up again.

As far as coumadin goes the one before this past one we stopped the coumadin for a day and proceeded. I was also premedicated but I had had numerous infections as of late and they were being precautios.

Mary S.

Comment

I had severe pain below my breast bone slightly on the left side and turned up with chronic gastritis and a history of ulcers. I tested positive for Helicobacter pylori two times and went through two fairly long, but not very difficult processes of taking 4 drugs a day. It helped some of the pain, but did not cure it, so that led to gall bladder removal, which again did not take care of all the pain. It appears that what is left is probably heart related.

So, if you are having severe pain and they cannot tell what is heart and what is digestive, this procedure is a good way to check it out.

What is going on with you, Cynthia?

Rhoda

Comment

Thanks for asking. For 2 months, I've had slight heartburn, belching and stomach feeling a little quesy (not all the time)...it comes and goes. The gastroenterologist put me on Prilosec for a few weeks and seemed to help but stomach problem did not go away. Then he had me off dairy products for about a week and that's not it....I had an upper GI (barium) back in late February and the only thing that showed up was a sliding hiatal hernia. He told me it's not that that is causing the stomach upset. I have just read yesterday on a few websites that calcium channel blockers can aggrevate GERD, if in deed that's what I have....I'm still waiting to hear from a doctor if I need to stop taking coumadin before the procedure or not...I have to call the gastro to re-schedule....do they need to biopsy to check for h-pylori?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I assume they do because the doc told me he had biopsied a number of places, but frankly that was no problem at all. I felt nothing at the time because I was out and felt nothing afterwards. Actually, they may have done the biopsies because H pylori can cause cancer after years of infection and I showed signs of chronic infection. I am a bit puzzled by one thing you said indicating that they were checking for GERD. Doesn't that usually show up on the barium x-ray? For me it did.

Let us know when you are having this done as soon as you know.

Rhoda

Comment

Cynthia-
                              I've had 4 EGD done & it's no big deal. Yes they do a biopsy for the H-pylori. You should probably check on the Coumadin-I was not taking coumadin when I've had the proceedure. Ihad the EGD for my GERD, it's very important, if you have it, to check your esophagus periodically, to be sure it's OK (all that acid splashing up) I have always been sedated & that would be my choice (gag). I've never had a sore throat & usually just go home for the rest of the day.
                              Have Fun!
                              RONNIE

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                              X