If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exactly one month since myectomy

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

progers Find out more about progers
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exactly one month since myectomy

Hi guys, time for a one month update on my recovery.

I am finally starting to feel better, just as many of you said I would (thanks Jim, Pam, Dan, Felix etc. - sorry if I missed anyone else who gave me advice). It has been - without doubt - THE MOST difficult and traumatic experience of my life. Of course, things may have been different if I didn't have to go back in for emergency surgery to stop bleeding the day after my myectomy (not to mention 5 days of A-Fib). For those of you who will have a myectomy in the next month or so, don't be put off because my myectomy ended up being very complicated and not usual. But be aware that it is a major operation and that it will take a number of weeks of recovery before you start to feel better. But just knowing you will get better should be a major comfort.

Anyway, my energy has improved significantly - my energy levels are perhaps 75 - 80% of what they were prior to my myectomy. The blues (depression) are largely gone and I have not had any noticeable episodes of angina. I have been doing a bit of walking each day (in my neighborhood and at the mall). Exercize definately helps improve energy levels.

On the downside, there are a couple of times when I have felt a bit of SOB - nothing serious, just that old sensation of not been comfortable while breathing. This may be a temporary thing, or it may that the surgery has not helped get rid of this problem. I've read that 30% or more of myectomy patients still have SOB (largely because of diastolic dysfunction, even thought the pressure gradient may be gone).

I am also having a couple of nasty arrhythmias each day, which make me dizzy.

But on the whole, I am making progress and feel much better than one or two weeks ago. I will just be happy to get back to how I was prior to the surgery and the whole post-op nightmare: any improvement of symptoms is a bonus!!

More updates will follow in the coming weeks.

Paul
    Age 38, dad of two young children, dx 1996, myectomy March 2005, a-fib issues, due for ICD soon.

I'm so happy to hear that you are finally feeling a little better!!! I pray you continue to do better each day.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Glad to hear that you are beginning to recover. Really hope that it continues for you.

Comment

Great to hear you are turning the corner.

Pam
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good for you, I'm very happy for you, now things will start getting better and better

Shirley
          Diagnosed 2003
          Myectomy 2-23-2004
          Husband: Ken
          Son: John diagnosed 2004
          Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Thanks guys. I will be making regular posts to keep you all updated on my recovery.

Cheers,

Paul
            Age 38, dad of two young children, dx 1996, myectomy March 2005, a-fib issues, due for ICD soon.

Comment

Hi Paul

I have been following your recovery progress and I am so happy for you. I am so happy you are feeling better.

The worst is over and gone and now the good stuff is here and more is coming for you.

Like I said, I am so happy for you!!!

Continued prayers for the best recovery.

Hugs

Eve
              49 yrs. old
              Diagnosed at 31.
              Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
              First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
              Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
              Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
              My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
              2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Good for you Paul. Glad to hear you doing so well...

Tigger1
                myectomy 05/17/04
                " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Paul

Harry says to say hi and we are both so glad you are starting to hit that road to recovery. I really believe the blood loss you had is a significant cause in your slow recovery. Harry's appointment is on Thursday and I hope to have a date for the op by then, I'm so excited and not put off in any way by what's happened to you. Complications are a sad fact of life, I've been through it and I am fit and strong today (one thing about this kinda stuff, boy do you learn what's important in life).

Leanne and Harrywhohasanenlargedheartinmorewaysthanone (sheesh I love that man)

Comment

One of my friends once told me what HCM was.

I live in Orlando you know Disney and Universal.

He said I have reverse Grinchitis.

You know the heart was two sizes too small now its two sizes too big!

Mary S.

Sorry for the Cheesiness

Comment

Mary, we need a bit of humor around here - even if it is cheesy!

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

NO cheesiness allowed--too much sodium and way too many grams of fat! Gotta think about the diet, you know.

rob
                        --Living life on the edge .. of a continent!
                        Charter member: Tinman Club

Comment

Time does heal! I am gald you are feeling better. May you continue to improve!!

Big Hugs from NJ to Ausyland!

Lisa
                          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                          Currently not obstructed
                          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hey but the cheese is low in carbs. And besides my doctor said I could have sodium so there

Mary S.

Comment

Now I'm jealous--it really hurt when my daily cheese allowance had to go away. Too much sodium and I turn into a zeppelin.

take care,
                              rob
                              --Living life on the edge .. of a continent!
                              Charter member: Tinman Club

Comment

Working...
                              X