If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HCM & grandchildren

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HCM & grandchildren

[HCM & grandchildren]

Author: Sandy (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 07-14-02 22:00

I was diagnosed with HCM over 15 years ago, but symptoms disappeared. They returned last Aug & in Dec I finally saw Dr. (at Mayo) had an echo and they confirmed that I do indeed have HCM. I am on Cardizem 480 mg & Cozaar 25mg but am still very active (walk 3 miles daily). After tapping into this message board, I have realize that I must have a very mild case. My father died suddenly of a heart problem at age 69 (I am 65) but that was in 1957 before HCM was identified. All 3 of my children and a sister were checked a number of years ago and were negative but am now wondering about grandchildren. Can HCM bypass a generation? Thanks so much for the info and help this board has been to me as I was dealing with the initial shock.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: HCM & grandchildren]

Author: Board Moderator: Sarah Beckley (---.dialup.mindspring.com)

Date: 07-15-02 13:24

Dear Sandy

It is very rare, but it is possible for HCM to "hide" a generation and pop up later. Also, is the Mayo aware of your dad's early passing? You want to make sure you are not at risk, too. Your kids should get checked every 5 years as HCM can show up later in life too.

take care ---glad you are active!

Sarah

Author: Midge Rollins (---.obmo.socket.net)

Date: 07-15-02 14:11

Sandy, I too have HCM, and thus far both of my children have tested negative for it. My grandaughter was also given an echo this year at the age of 6 and is okay so far. I was told that unless one of my children develop it the chances are slim that my grandchildren will. There is a strong family history so I am hoping ( of course) that my kids never develop it and maybe we can start to eradicate it in my family. I was diagnosed at 28 and my kids are now 32 and 33. They are checked every 5 years however. good luck

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 07-15-02 20:25

HCM will skip generations and your grandchildren should be screened. Also we are learning more and more about adult onset HCM - your grown children should be screened every 5 years.

Best to ALL!

Lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X