If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myectomy

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Art Geddes Find out more about Art Geddes
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myectomy

After being diagnosed 30 years ago, myectomy will be next week at Mayo on Wed April 13, Still have to figure out transportation and stuff. My son has his defib changed her in Tulsa on the 22, so my wife is wishing she could be split in half but we will work it out. Just wanted to keep everyone updated.
    Thanks,
    Art

Art,

Thanks for the update! There must be a sale on myectomies this spring, we've had one right after another here lately. I'm glad to hear you'll be in the fine hands of the folks at Mayo. We'll all be looking forward to getting frequent updates from you and provide any assistance that we can.

Jim
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Yep Art, seems like everyone is going for a myectomy right now - I just did mine a couple of weeks ago! I'm sure you know, but Mayo is one of THE places to do it anywhere in the world so you will be in the best hands. Wishing you a smooth and successful operation and recovery.

Paul
      (Myectomy 03/18/05, Melbourne Australia)
      Age 38, dad of two young children, dx 1996, myectomy March 2005, a-fib issues, due for ICD soon.

Comment

Art

Wishing you the best of Luck and my prayers will be with you

Shirley
        Diagnosed 2003
        Myectomy 2-23-2004
        Husband: Ken
        Son: John diagnosed 2004
        Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Art, I pray that you have a successful and non-eventful surgery. Same for your son.

Reenie
          Reenie

Husband has HCM.
          3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Art,

My prayers are with you. Remember to walk, walk, walk and walk...

Tigger1
            " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Art -
              I know this has been a long road for you - I hope your myectomy is the start of a new road!

Best wishes,
              Lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Art
                I had my Myectomy @ Mayo July 2003. Let me know if you need any input/suggestions regarding hotels, transportation etc.
                If your're scheduled for the 13th, you should be home by the 22nd. Is the 13th your actual Surgical date or the date of your pretests/meeting with the Docs?
                RONNIE

Comment

surgery on 13, pretest were done in march, meet with surgeon's PA on 12th.

Art

Comment

Art - Just curious....what has changed with your situation to induce you to undergo a myectomy at this time in your life (as opposed to 10 years ago, or shortly after you were diagnosed)? Have your medications stopped working well? Have your symptoms worsened?
                    Daughter of Father with HCM
                    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

When I was first diagnosed in 1976, my gradient was 10, septam measured 12 mm. I ran 2 miles a day and was asymtopmatic except for a couple of fainting spells. Over the last 10 yearsI have grown increaingly syptomatic (sob, chest pain, fatigue, chronic bronchitis, pneunomonia etc) and v-tach on holter and scd in the ep lab waitning for the ep to start. Since my symptoms were not being controlled after 30 years of beta blocker and 5 years of verapimil I went to Mayo and they advised me I was NYHA class 3, septum now measured 17-23mm and under valsava went to 45 and higher under exercise it was time to do myectomy.
                      Art

Comment

Art, You and your family will be in my prayers. Please keep us posted, Linda

Comment

Hey,

Why is everybody talking about myectomy? I don’t have no stinking Ectomy! You wanna talk? You talk about your Ectomy and leave my Ectomy alone. What do you think this is? Anyhow?

You say a myectomy is a heart shave? Wassa matta? Your face isn’t enough? Anna for you girls – I donno what you gonna shave next. Under you arms – over you legs – in summer you bikini lines. (Why you no buy a bikini what’s bald already?) So much I no understand about you crazy kids today.

I think I go listen to some Rudy Valley records. Anybody got a phonograph needle?
                          Burt

Comment

Art,

This is all good news for you. You have been through a lot over the years and yes it is time. Thoughts and prayers.

Pam
                            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Best of luck, Art. I'll be following after you at Mayo Clinic in a couple months.
                              I cased out a couple places my husband might stay when we're there, let me know if you want to swap info. Wishing you an excellent surgery and recovery. Keep us posted.

(And who's turn is it anyway to keep an eye on Burt and his oxygen levels?? Did we slip up?)

Best wishes, Lisa Inman

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                              X