[septal myectomy]

Author: Dawn (---.cl.ri.cox.net)

Date: 07-14-02 11:45

My mom was diagnosed a couple of months ago with HCM. It's been a little over whelming for her and the whole family. Her symptoms had been there for a couple of years and she blew them off as 'getting older.' (she's 58) We've gone from an echo for a murmur to more testing and now we've been told she needs a myectomy! I trust that all the testing and doc physical exam are accurate. We live in Cleveland so she's being seen at the Clinic by Dr. Asher. Here's my questions;

Everyone keeps talking about Dr. Lever, is he more specialized w/ HCM than other doc's at the Clinic?

And I see Dr. Smedira as the surgeon of choice. Is he the surgical best for HCM and myectomy?

Experience is something I don't have, so I hoping to use the experience from all of you. I can handle the medical terminology, I work in the medical field. My hospital does not deal with surgical HCM patients. I've asked some of our cardiologist about doc's at the Clinic, but they have to be careful not to cut anyone down. And, I think experience tells a lot more than just professional opinion.

I'm so thankful for this web site! It's nice to know my family isn't alone, it makes this less scary.

Thank you,

Dawn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: septal myectomy]

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 07-14-02 11:49

Dawn,

Breath easy your in good hands. Dr Asher or Dr. Lever can take wonderful care of your mom. Dr. Smedire has been doing most of the myectomies for about a year or two now (from my understanding).

Your in a great center with great doctors.

Best wishes,

Lisa Salberg

Author: Board Moderator: Sarah Beckley (---.dialup.mindspring.com)

Date: 07-14-02 11:54

Dear Dawn

Your mom is in good hands and I hope the surgery goes well for her. Don't forget that all her kids and grandkids should be screened for HCM, too.

take care,

Sarah

Date: 07-14-02 12:31

Wow! Talk about a quick reply. I was reading past posting and still on the site and you replied!

My sister had an echo last year when she was dx w/lupus--her's is fine (at this time) My echo is this tues. 7/16. My GP wants to wait for my results before testing the kids. Other than mom, there's no HCM in our family (that we're aware of). What is the % of family members that have HCM within a family. Do I have a 50-50 chance or is it higher/lower? Needless to say, the 'freak-out' factor is still very high since this is a new dx for our family.

Thanks!

Date: 07-14-02 12:34

Pardon my rudeness--forgot to thank you for the info about the docs.

Thank you for putting my mind at ease!

Dawn

Author: Kay Ruth (---.as0.wlby.oh.voyager.net)

Date: 07-14-02 14:25

Hi Dawn .

Dr . Lever and Asher are both excellent,Jim has had both of them In his return visits the hospital .They work with each other along with with a young Dr. Chiu.Good Luck. Kay

Author: Board Moderator: Sarah Beckley (---.dialup.mindspring.com)

Date: 07-14-02 17:47

Hi

Speedy service is our motto!

HCM is "autosomal dominant" ---yes, 50/50 shot. In my family (and my mom's) exactly half of us have it, however, every family is different and there may be just a few or there may be more. Let us know what your echo says.

take care

Sarah

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 07-15-02 20:35

Glad we could help... how did the Echo go? any results yet??

Lisa

Date: 07-16-02 10:25

Just got home from my Echo--everything looks within normal, still need to wait for the offical from the cardiologist.

Right now my mom's getting her cath done. Last pre-op test/procedure. Later this week or early next week we should have a surg date.

Thinking about John Jordan and his family today. If I read correctly, today is his surg. Prayers and good thoughts his way!

Dawn

Author: Lisa Salberg (208.47.172.---)

Date: 07-16-02 10:59

Yes John is due for surgury today. I am thinking of him as well and hope he does well!

Good new on the echo..so far.

Best wishes to all!

Lisa