If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just a little update

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Pam Alexson single mother of 3 wonderful young adults;a special ed teacher, an RN and a senior accountant. Find out more about Pam Alexson
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abbygirl2
    replied
    Pam
    What a scary time this must be for you. My heart goes out to you. Hopefully you will be able to get to where you need to be for this surgery.
    It sounds like you have a great Dr helping you, which makes all the difference in the world. Keep us updated, and take care of yourself.

((hugs))

Pam

Leave a comment:

• Reenie
    replied
    Pam, prayers are said for you for strength and health. Let me know if you need anything at all.

Reenie

Leave a comment:

• shirleymahoney
    replied
    Oh Pam

I had no Idea what you were going through my heart goes out to you, as we have talked my daughter had her entire large intestine removed 2 years ago and i agree it is a big procedure and a tough one to recover from and she was just 26 at the time, i hope they can get it under control for you and I will think positive with you also and hopefuly you can become healthy enough to have the surgery if needed

Shirley

P.S IM me sometime ok

Leave a comment:

• Pam Alexson
    started a topic Just a little update

Just a little update

Recently I have been battling another episode of acute diverticulitis, I have lost count but this is the 4th treated episode and the others resolved thankfully with out the mega doses of toxic antibiotics. ( about 7 all told since Nov.)

I went to NEMC yesterday and was told that I need to have a colectomy to remove the largest diseased part of my colon. That all being explained to me the doctor said to me , presently you are at a very high risk and in rather poor health to face a procedure that is so dangerous.

She was mostly referring to the fact that the colon is a very contaminated place to do surgery on and the risks of infection and complications are numerous . She said on healthy individuals it is a concern. She stated my many ailments and my weight as a major obstacle.

As I have stated in previous posts I am not a ballerina and am a hefty girl. My weight ballooned up as heart disease became a problem and my weight went up 100+ pounds. I have never been able to get it down with all the combination of health issues that I have and how HCM has also effected my heart , irregardless of having a myectomy that actually worked and has improved my living to some degrees.

This is where she candidly spoke to me with great compassion and severity and said ," I can not imagine sitting here with you what it is like to live your life with all the problems you have and all the limitations that go with it." She spoke to me about wanting to help save my life. She said the next bout of diverticulitis could be the one to take your life, your bowel could perforate and this is a very dangerous situation.

My head was realing.

She said I would prefer at this time to treat the diverticulitis medically for the time being and to talk to you now about how we can safely get you to the point where we can perform the colectomy. She spoke to me about their very successfull, well known Obesity Clinic. She feels she could successfully and safely perform laproscopic gastric surgery on me . She feels this is the only hope for me and all my maladies . She said an HCM heart is not going to go away, you are not going to lose the weight because of all the ramifications of the disease on you and you impaired life style but the severe, added, impact of x amount of pounds on your HCM heart is surely worsening your life. She said I believe we can make a difference and we can save your life and get you back into it.

Wow , this was so unexpected and yet amazing to hear her speak so graphically.

She will be speaking to my cardiologists today and starting the process if they all agree.

I believe from what I have read there is a lot to it .( lots of meetings and evaluations with behaviorists and groups). She told me she felt she could speed this along for me as I have a sound knowlege base and a strong medical background.

So , I will keep you posted. Lets hope that treating the diverticulitis more aggressively will keep it in check so that the colectomy can wait until it is safer to do it.

Thanks for hearing my story.

Pam

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X