If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

work related questions

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Art Geddes Find out more about Art Geddes
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• work related questions

Hello all,

I will post on my trip to Mayo in a different post, but have some questions regarding work experiences. I work in a retail cellular sales enviorment which is very goal oriented, which I beliesve is good. The problem lately hads been the apparent inability to reach those goals, which I feel is in part caused the constant fatigue etc that follows an obstruction. I am down to a final written warning an am wondering if there is a relief from the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) which protects people like us from being fired? BYW, my supervisors are aware of the medical problems.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Art

Art, I know you are going to have good input from others, but give Lisa a call and talk about your individual situation. Good luck, Linda

Comment

Art,

It's very nice to hear from you, however i'm sorry that you're currently having some problems at work. I've been in the same shoes my friend, so i know of what you speak. Trust me.

Given Lisa's experience in human resources and HCM, i know that she'll be able to provide a whole lot of support and guidance for you. Give her a call at the office tomorrow (tuesday) and speak with her directly if you can. I've done a whole lot of research regarding the ADA and my own situation, and you certainly do have some protection there so please do not give up hope.

HCM is a disability like any other, and even if our employers 'know' of our condition, the fact that they can't always 'see' it presents a unique set of problems. Under the ADA, employers are required to make 'reasonable accomodation' for persons with disabilities. This is not always possible though, as in my case, and we can't always hold it against them either. However, i was entitled to unemployment compensation and job retraining through the OVR which has resulted in my being back in school while i get my life together.

I'm sure you've already located the ADA website, but if you haven't... it provides a ton of useful info and phone numbers to call. The ADA representative i spoke with was extremely caring and understanding (in fact she has a brother with HCM) and gave me no less than a dozen phone numbers to call (local, state, federal) to try to get assistance.

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm

Take care, and please PM me or email me if you would like any additional information on my particular circumstances regarding employment and how i dealt with it. And of course be sure to let us know how everything works out.

Jim

[email protected]
      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Art,
        call me in the morning - You DO have rights and the key is getting your employer on the same page as you!
        Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Working...
        X