If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giving Blood vs Arrythmias

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

scottonbike Find out more about scottonbike
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving Blood vs Arrythmias

Hi

I had a very bad case of arrhythmia in July of last year. I complained to my Cardiologist and he adjusted my dosage of Verapamill and got me on a cpap machine. I also started taking fish oil because I have heard the omega 3 fatty acids can reduce the risk of arrhythmia and other things. I am also taking the CO Q10 pill just because that might help too. Long story short is that I have not had any problems for a few months

Today at work they had a blood drive. Seeing as how my Cardiologist has given me the okay to give blood, I did. Keep in mind that this was my 28Th pint that I have given to the Red Cross and about the 10Th since I have been diagnosed with HCM.

I am now having very brief, for lack of a better word, flutters. I still feel great but I am wondering if giving up a pint of blood did this to me?

Since HCM is pretty rare and I can't ask my neighbor if he has had this problem I am asking the HCM world. Has anybody had this problem besides me?
    Every day is a present I was diagnosed when I was 38, I have asthma which made me assume it was ashtma, getting old, and being about 30 lbs over what I should be. I have days when I would rather not know. Myectomy club 3Jan06 CCF, my life is so much better!!!!

You may have become a bit dehydrated with giving the blood. You might want to talk to your cardiologist and see if he changes his opinion on giving blood, or if he thinks this is causing your problem today. I hope it resolves quickly for you, but let your doc know if it persists or you have other probs - Linda

Comment

I have given blood a number of times since I was diagnosed with HCM. I can't say that I have had any problem with arythmias, but I do have to be very careful about dehydration. My cardio told me that giving blood was OK, but I should be careful to hydrate throughly before and after. The one time that I neglected hydration before giving blood, I was very light-headed, and even close to fainting at the top of a few stair steps. Other times, I have been fine.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
      X