If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who to see in Boston

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Chuck Find out more about Chuck
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dughr
    replied
    Hi,

OK, I have 2 cents worth here.

I was the first myectomy at NEMC. My case is very very complex and I am getting world class care at NEMC. How do I know this? Because I, as does Pam, come from a clinical background. I have a post that will go out later this week updating my situation which is the subject now of several papers authored by the top doctors in this field.

By the way, I am employed by "the Harvard guys". I am an employee of MGH/Harvard and I would not hesitate to go to NEMC. Yes MGH is doing myectomies etc., but for what it is worth, and it is your decision to make, you will get the best care at NEMC in the Boston area. This is not to say MGH or Harvard is substandard...they just don't have the leading experts in THIS field.

My 2, maybe 3 cents worth.

Doug

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied
    I travel from NJ to NEMC as my speciality center - I think that says a great deal!

Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Pam Alexson
    replied
    Chuck,

Yes for us Massachussetts people there is the excellent NEMC . I started out first diagnosed at Brigham and Womens and then when I found out from Lisa that there was a bonifide HCM clinic there I went to NEMC for a second opinion. It was the opinion of greatest value to me personally. This center more then likely is directly responsible for NEMC doing the largest number of myectomies in the Boston/New England area. They started up in 2002 and with the new center and began doing their first myectomies in 2003. I was the 3rd. I am sure others will tell you but we have all recieved excellent care . Dr Maron and Dr Udelson are very kind, invested, doctors concerned with getting all their patients feeling better and functioning to their optimal level of comfort. A goal for quality of life in respect to each individuals particular case of HCM is one major issue that is dealt with, with extreme proficiency. The team approach that each individual recieves , supports the individual and helps to guide them in their decision making process with clear , concise facts and in terms that can be understood by all.

Go for it you will not be dissapointed. Celeste Webster is the person who books the appointments in the clinic , she will help guide you through the process and is great at returning phone calls if you have more questions after you hang up.

If you have any other concerns please feel free to PM me.

Best wishes .

Pam

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied
    Hey Chuckee Babee,
    In answer to your question - - - YES.

That is, there are three facilities in the US which are considered the very top in the care and feeding of HCM. The nearest one for you (you lucky dog) is Tufts – NEMC. The other two – which I’m sure you see referred to quite often in these postings is the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio and The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.

You can supply all your past records and tests, but I think they always run the full battery of tests themselves, which in the long run is a very good thing. First they have the experts who will know exactly what to look for in the tests and testing, and secondly, because they have the expertise to know what it means and how to deal with it.

Let us know how you make out, my friend – and more power to you.
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• Reenie
    replied
    I'm not sure about the particulars of any of these hospitals 5 years ago, but I do know that in the last few years NEMC has built a true HCM clinic where they have top experts who are well-known thoughout the US for their knowledge and understanding of HCM. Dr Udelson and Dr Martin Maron are the two names that I'm familiar with, but there may be others. Both Drs Udelson and Maron are usually at our annual meeting in New Jersey the first weekend in June. I hope you can join us. I'm also posting 2 links I think you might be interested in. Best of luck!

Reenie

http://www.4hcm.org/WCMS/index.php?id=48,0,0,1,0,0

http://www.nemc.org/medicine/card/Hy...athyCenter.htm

Leave a comment:

• Chuck
    started a topic Who to see in Boston

Who to see in Boston

I know alot of Bostonians are going to NEMC. is this "the" place to go? I'm thinking I need a change...or at least a good "once over" by a top-doc. (I've got the insurance...why not?).

The cardio I've been seeing has commented that "the" place is Mass General. has that changed? or was it ever so?

I got very sick a few years ago with what turned out to be an unknown infection. Local small-town hospital couldn't deal with me, so they sent me to St. E's...which I thought was "Tufts". when I reported this event to my regular cardio after the fact, he commented that if anything like that should ever happen again, I should go to MGH.

Anyway, this illness...had high fever..104+...fever spiked during the night, and I had symptoms of CHF. (fluid in the lungs, trouble breathing, etc). They feared endocarditis, but it turned out not to be. never figured out what it was, and it disappeared as quickly as it came on. they were making plans to send me home w/ a pic line, 6 weeks of IV-antibiotics, etc. but it just disappeared.

off the subject, sort of...but from my experience there, I thought that "Tufts" was affiliated w/ St. E's...while I see people here referring to "Tufts-NEMC". If NEMC is "the" place for HCMers, why did they send me to St.E's? (this was 5 years ago, nearly, now that I think of it. perhaps things have changed?).

and I guess my cardio thinks that the "Harvard" dudes are "the" people to see.
Working...
X