If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atrial fibrillation ablation

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atrial fibrillation ablation

[Atrial fibrillation ablation]

Author: Henry Krautter (---.newark-08rh16rt.nj.dial-access.att.net)

Date: 07-03-02 08:38

I would like to hear from someone who can give me infomation about atrial fibrillation ablation . I have been in and out of atrial fibrillation for the last five years. This last year I have been on Sotalo with out success I am now trying Amiodarone but I go right back in fibrillation a day or two after cardioversion. The doctor said the next thing to try is atrial fibrillation ablation . Where is this preformed?. What is the down side to this procedure?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Atrial fibrillation ablation]

Author: Board Moderator--Sarah Beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 07-03-02 13:04

Dear Henry

There is one other drug to consider --it has about the same efficacy rates as amio, but works through different chemical means (potassium channel blocker, essentially): dofetilide or brand name Tikosyn.

Ablations are performed at the major heart centers and at other places, but if you can choose, you should find someone who has done a lot of these and the HCMA office can help you with that. 973-983-7429.

The down side is that it doesn't always work and that there are always risks involved with any heart procedure. There are some medical sites that talk about this kind of ablation, but most of the ones I've found are sponsored by the hospital giving them.

Sarah

Author: Lisa Salberg (208.47.172.---)

Date: 07-03-02 15:21

I believe we are talking about an A-V node ablation here?? Not alcohol ablation.

A-V ablations are far more common and can be done at major hospitals around the country, however caution should be given as this is NOT a reversable situation and you will be pacemaker dependant for the rest of your life (which is not really a "bad" thing, just something you should know)

If you need more information call the HCMA office.

Take care!

Lisa

Author: Henry Krautter (---.newark-08rh15rt.nj.dial-access.att.net)

Date: 07-03-02 16:40

Lisa Salberg wrote:

>

> I believe we are talking about an A-V node ablation here??

> Not alcohol ablation.

> A-V ablations are far more common and can be done at major

> hospitals around the country, however caution should be given

> as this is NOT a reversable situation and you will be

> pacemaker dependant for the rest of your life (which is not

> really a "bad" thing, just something you should know)

> If you need more information call the HCMA office.

> Take care!

> Lisa

Dr Winters stated that there are only two hospitals that perform this ablation one in France and one in Oklahoma.Dr watson repeaded the name a few times . Atrial fibrillation ablation. It is expermental . Hope you can help me,

Author: susan (---.183.OVG.vol.com)

Date: 07-03-02 19:53

henry,

try and get in touch with dr. william spencer III at the medical university in south carolina, or his nurse donna killip, her email addy is donna [email protected]. i think he can help you out.

susan

Author: Steve (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 07-05-02 00:21

Henry,

I had AV noid ablation done back in November of 2000 for atrial fibrillation. It has greatly improved my quality of life. I still am not able to work and cannot do many things that I would like to do. Also, I still go into a-fib. But the episodes are far,far less severe. No more trips to hospitals, no more cardiovertions, an no more laying in bed on oxygen. At times I will not even feel the fib. but will feel short of breath and have a hard time getting around. I guess my point is that this proceedure did not cure me, but it did improve my quality of life. And knowing what I know now I would do it all over again if need be. No regrets. I also have Apical HCM which has it's own symptoms to compound everything. I had my AV noid ablation done by a great EP doc. in Spokane, WA. He has done many and says there have been verying out comes,but all have been degrees of improvement. And we're not done yet, science is always coming up with new things for us. Check out all you can and only do what feels right with you.

Good luck and God bless you, Steve

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 07-05-02 12:11

Henry - your wrote.... this in responce to my posting..."Dr Winters stated that there are only two hospitals that perform this ablation one in France and one in Oklahoma.Dr watson repeaded the name a few times . Atrial fibrillation ablation. It is expermental . Hope you can help me"...

We need to make sure we are talkinga about the same things because r. Winters and his team in Morristown preformed my fathers A-V ablation, so I am a little confuses as to what procedure you are talking about. Are you refering to a MAZE provcedure? Ask the doctor for the full name of the procedure then we can assist you better.

Lisa

Author: Henry Krautter (---.newark-09rh16rt.nj.dial-access.att.net)

Date: 07-05-02 18:50

I am going into the hospital next Friday for cardioversion. I will speak to Dr Watson then. He floored me when he told me he hold little hope for this cardioversion but I said I wanted one more try. Thanks for the intrest in my problem. I will be in touch with you, Hank

Date: 07-05-02 21:52

Dear Henry

Are you still on amio? Did they increase your dose? Did you ask about dofetilide?

Stay positive and good luck..

Sarah

Author: Henry Krautter (---.newark-09rh16rt.nj.dial-access.att.net)

Date: 07-08-02 21:21

Lisa: I talked to Dr Watson to day . He said the type of ablation under concideration is Circumferential Pulmonary Vein Ablation. Hope you can give me some info and maybe the names of some people who have had this type of ablation. Hank

Date: 07-08-02 23:42

Dear Henry

Here is a link to a study of this procedure. Please note that only 251 patients were included and, of those, only 4 had HCM.

http://www.af-ablation.org/library/d...ation_2001.pdf

Here is a link to a description of pulmonary vein ablation (note that they don't use the word circumferential, but do say that they go around the vein and circumferential means to go around):

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/heart...n_ablation.htm

Sarah

Author: Cheryl Farris (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)

Date: 07-24-02 19:06

Henry,

My husband had atrial fibralation to the point that he was having to be cardioverted every 2 - 3 weeks. He was referred to Dr. J. Micheal Duncan at the Texas Heart Institute at St. Lukes Hospital in Houston, Texas. Dr. Duncan does a procedure called the Maze Procedure. It is open heart surgery where they go in and make incisions in the outer part of the heart. This in turn builds up scar tissue and therefore the current can't go haywire the way it does when you go into A-Fib. Since my husband had this done 2 1/2 years ago he has not gone into A-Fib one time. If you have any questions you can email at:

[email protected]

Cheryl Farris
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X