If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apex wall thinning

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Labbey Heart transplant on September 15, 2008 Find out more about Labbey
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apex wall thinning

hi everybody.

Here I go again. just wondering do any of you know what this means. I had an echo done today and now dr. says this wall is thinning. I don't get it. I think I have heard a little about this, but not sure what it means. ANYONE??? Or does it mean anything and is just a part of the craziness of this heart???? I am thinking it probably means something. That is not "normal" for that to happen....

And is this real common for most of us? I have never been told this was happening on echo's in the past.

I appreciate you guys talking in real people way!

The apex is part of the wall of the left ventricle? Is that part right? I can't find anything about this specific thing on the internet yet.

I gave my cardiologist a brochure and information about the HCMA. He was glad to know about it. He says he has 3 or 4 other patients with HCM and he is going to share this with them. I feel like I did a little good in passing along this!!!

Thanks for any info!! I have never really even knew of an apex in the heart! helloooooo!

take care,
    Lisa A.
    diagnosed at 19. Open heart surgery at 23. Myectomy unsuccessful, but replaced damaged mitral valve, pacemaker, Icd at 36, evaluated for heart transplant at 39.

Hi Lisa A,
    I haven’t heard much about this, but I did find a couple of sites which might help you find out a bit more.

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/cont...onaha;57/3/503

http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepa...?ID=1543897145

I haven’t a clue of what the doctor meant with his remark, but I would bet that if you asked him for a detailed, layman’s explanation you would get it. (At least, you are entitled to it.)
    Burt

Comment

The Apex is the lower pointed end of the heart and is an ideal target for a Dr. using ultrasound who is hoping to make a judgement about wall thickness as it can be found near a gap in the ribs and will show two walls of the heart where they intersect.

I suppose your Dr. is comparing these results with a previous echo to make these comments.
      • 1995: Brigham & Women’s Hospital - diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation
      • 2004: Falkner Hospital – diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure
      • 2004: Tufts NEMC– diagnosed with “End Stage” Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
      • 2005: Genetic Test – Laboratory for Molecular Medicine. HCM confirmed – missense mutation detected in TNNT2 gene
      • 2009: Brigham & Women’s - Third cardioversion begin Amiodarone for AFib
      • 2011: Brigham & Women’s - Medtronic ICD implant

Comment

apex wall is thinning

Burton and Oz,

Thank you so much for responding. Burton those websites are helpful, and Boz you are right about the measuring. That is what he was doing yesterday. The apex is the tip! Thank you!!

I am going to my primary today. He is really good at explaining things, so if he doesn't give me an explanation I understand I will call my cardiologist this afternoon.

Hey Burton how is the weather in Henderson NV? I lived there for about 6 weeks back in 1997. I made my husband take us back!! hahha I thought it was rough and hard to adjust to. I love the trees and missed that!

thanks again for the helpful info.!!!

Take care,
        lisa a.
        diagnosed at 19. Open heart surgery at 23. Myectomy unsuccessful, but replaced damaged mitral valve, pacemaker, Icd at 36, evaluated for heart transplant at 39.

Comment

Hey Lisa A,
          Having been born and bred in New York I know first hand how beautiful the mountains of upstate NY can be. We’re living here in Henderson for about three and a half years now, but before that we spent over twenty years in the San Fernando Valley.

I know all about trees. There those tall things with coconuts or dates growing on them, aren’t they? I don’t know about the coco part, but I feel right at home among the nuts. I moved here because it’s dry. Yeah, dry. The annual rainfall is about four and a half inches, and we reached that amount in February already. What we really need is snow in the Colorado Rockies. That river is what feeds Lake Mead, which is still down about 80 feet. It will take about five years of above average runoff to fill it back up again.

Enjoy your tree covered mountains and when you see a particularly beautiful scene ESP me a copy. Thanks –
          Burt

Comment

Working...
          X