If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stress and HCM?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stress and HCM?

[Stress and HCM?]

Author: Karla (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 07-01-02 22:57

Hi all...

I know that stress is not healthy on any level, but was wondering if there is any info on the effects of stress with HCM?

Hubby's job is very stressful and was wondering just how much of a concern that should be.

Karla

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Stress and HCM?]

Author: Board Moderator--Sarah Beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 07-02-02 00:48

Dear Karla

Because the heart isn't working very well already, stress can increase the strain on the heart, especially when there is too much adrenelin (sp?) in your system, you don't get enough rest or hydration or don't eat well. There is no way to say that HCM patients are a certain percentage more at risk from stress than anyone else, but it may create palpitations, high blood pressure or just more symptoms in general --everyone is different.

However, there are lots of stress-relief classes and tips and information on the internet --lots fo things you can do at work. Just taking a walk around the building when it is nice out to doing "keyboard yoga" to stretch the arms and hands can make a big difference in your well-being. If your husband loves his job, then he should take a lot at those options and do what he can to make his life a little easier.

good luck

Sarah

Author: Karla (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 07-02-02 08:00

Hi, Sarah,

Thanks for your response.....

Hubby is not happy with his job and was contemplating a change before he was diagnosed. However, the job he was going to apply for would have involved a lot of physical labor in the Florida heat. He realizes that now that would probably not be the best option for him. He currently sits at a desk in front of a computer most of the day - very heavy workload (no overtime allowed since 9/11) and stressful. Now he's concerned that he won't be able to change companies because of insurance issues.....

I have encouraged him to take walks in the evening to help relieve the stress, but so far no luck. The majority of the time he's just too exhausted and usually ends up napping on the couch for a couple of hours. He naps a lot on his days off, too - hard for him to have energy to last the whole day. When he does have a 'good' day, he tends to overdue it and ends up paying for it the next.

I know that him getting the proper rest is important....his latest thing is to work through being tired; which I don't think is wise. I think he should listen to his body!

He also suffers from anxiety attacks - which couldn't be good for his heart, either!

Sorry for my ramblings...just concerned about his quality of life......

Karla

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 07-02-02 08:07

Karla,

I would really give thought to these anxiety attacks, often they are arrthymias related to HCM. Also a job out in the sun would be about the worst thing he could do, sometimes we must get a little creative regarding employment. If he is unhappy with his current job he could check the local job market for positions with similar skills and try something new. As an HR director myself I see people switching professions all the time and in fact each person in the USA today is estimated to have 7 different career paths in their life span...so maybe its time for a change to re-energize him.

best wishes,

Lisa Salberg

PS ramble away!

Author: Board Moderator--Sarah Beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 07-02-02 10:27

Dear Karla

As long as your husband has been covered by his company insurance (or any health insurance) for the last 12 months, he can't be denied coverage of a pre-existing condition under the 1996 Health Care Portability Act when he changes jobs. He just has to make sure he gets a job with health insurance and my personal recommendation is to pop for the extra bucks and get the PPO option, and not the HMO option (assuming he has a choice, which is the norm for most companies).

I know first hand how frustrating it can be to care for someone when they don't seem to be taking very good care of themself. However, your husband is the only one who can make the changes he needs to make. Perhaps if he got on-line and took a look at how the rest of us are doing, he may get some perspective on HCM and his health.

take care

Sarah
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X