If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanting to sleep all the time

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

shirleymahoney Born In Tulsa Oklahoma and have a wonderful husband and 2 great children Find out more about shirleymahoney
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting to sleep all the time

I sure can't wait to see This Dr. Brush next week i have started sleeping all the time again and i sleep at night so i don't know what it could be. Today i couldn't seem to get up until 1:30pm today and that is bad and it isn't me at all and i feel i can go right back to bed and sleep

Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

thyroid

HCM and hypothyroidism seem to go together like the migraines do, too.

It causes your metabolism to slow down and you can sleep for ever and ever and your hair thins, you gain weight, and your voice may be scratchy or lower than normal.

Get a thyroid panel asap. Very treatable!

S

Comment

I know how you feel. I took the day off because I was so tired and slept most of the day.

I seem to have 3 of the 4 symptoms that Sarah described. What is a tyroid panel?.
      Esther

Comment

If left to my own devices I probably could sleep all day every day. But I force myself to get up and do what I need to do. But, thre are some days it seems impossible to get out of bed. But, after I take a shower and have breakfast it seems to abate abit.

mary S.

Comment

A thyroid panel are a couple of blood tests that can detect hypothyroidism. It is a totally separate condition (unrelated to HCM) that can cause tiredness, lethargy, cold, hairloss, and a few other things.

The blood tests are a TSH test (or thyroid stimulating hormone) and a Free T-4 (which is the circulating thyroid hormone). If your TSH is too high, and/or your T-4 too low, you might need to take synthetic thyroid hormone, like Synthroid. I have taken it for the last 5 years or so.
          Daughter of Father with HCM
          Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
          Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
          ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
          Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Thanks everyone

I will call my doctor tomorrow and ask him if i can have these test done soon

Shirley
            Diagnosed 2003
            Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

I have many many days where I could stay in bed all day(if only my 4 yr old would let me). If he isn't waking me up then I am forced out of bed because of my back-it often seizes up overnight. I have had my thyroid checked and everything was fine.
              I always assumed it was an HCM thing. Seemed sensible.

Could it be related to any of the meds your on Shirley?

Wishing you a wide-eyed and clear-headed day.
              Pam
              It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Pam

You know i really don't know I'm on soooo many now i have been on them now for almost a year, hay today is my 1 year anniversary since my surgery, i just saw the date and it has been a year since i smoked a cigarette also, But Pam I'm calling the doctor because i have some swelling at the right side of my neck but i think that is from fluid build up, have a great day everyone

Shirley
                Diagnosed 2003
                Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

I hear ya and ditto to the exhaustion. I wonder if the winter cold is making us want to hybernate more.

Pam
                  Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                  Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                  Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                  SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                  [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                  Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                  Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                  Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Shirley, congrats on your 1 yr post surgery and for quitting smoking. You have a lot to be proud of. Did you find quitting smoking helped with symptoms at all? I hope all is well, and let us know what the Dr says about that swelling.

Take care
                    Pam
                    It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Wanting to sleep all the time

Hi Shirley,

My goodness you poor thing if it is not one thing it is another with you. I feel so bad, like I just wish I could help you!!!! You are so responsive and nice to all of us. Your input is always helpful.

Just wanted to say that you could be anemic also. Not sure if you thought of this. I went thru this also and ended up taking iron pills. You should have a test done to see if you are anemic. You are right about the neck swelling, I had that last time I had the fluid in the lungs. I didn't even know it, my Dr. noticed it!! You are good to notice such a thing before it could get too out of hand.

Good luck and get to the doctor ASAP!!!

Take care,
                      Lisa A.
                      diagnosed at 19. Open heart surgery at 23. Myectomy unsuccessful, but replaced damaged mitral valve, pacemaker, Icd at 36, evaluated for heart transplant at 39.

Comment

Shirley,
                        I agree with everyone-you should have a full Blood workup done. If they're drawing blood, whats the diff if they take a few xtra tubes! I recently learned I have a problem w/my thyroid & taking the synthroid has given me much more energy. I have been tested for this many times over the years, so it's something that can suddenly develop. My PCP & Endocrinologist explained that it's very important for the thyroid to work properly, as it does influence your Heart. Initially, my Thyroid was Over Active & this caused me to go into AFib, more frequently. Now my thyroid has decided, it's not going to work, so I'm on Synthroid. My Endocrinologist thinks this is a result of 5 Angiograms (dye injections) in a little over a year.
                        This is such an easy diagnosis & just another med! Hope this will solve your energy issues.
                        BE WELL
                        RONNIE

Comment

Shirley,

I hope you're feeling better soon....I agree, have some blood work done..it may be anemia or the thyroid...good luck!
                          \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
                          X