[Confused about ICD]

Author: Sue (---.howard01.md.comcast.net)

Date: 07-01-02 08:22

I am to have an ICD implanted soon. In a previous thread, Lorie made it sound as if the ICD could activate with various levels of shock--so little you wouldn't notice or so strong it would knock you down. Does it respond differently to various speeds of ventricular contractions? Or is it all or nothing, as I thought before? I'm confused!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Confused about ICD]

Author: Board Moderator--Sarah Beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 07-01-02 09:20

Dear Sue

Some ICDs are also pacing devices as well, which is probably what is confusing. Also, everyone's experience is different. Some people report getting knocked on their butt and others just get a tingle --it really depends on your situation and how your device is set.

Your doctor should be able to answer all of your questions about how they are setting your ICD, exactly what kind you are getting, and what to do if you do get shocked, and what to do if you think you are getting inappropriate shocks.

Reminder: never let airport security use the little hand wand on your. They have to pat you down.

Take care and let us know how it goes. I think you will feel a lot safer once the ICD is in place.

Sarah

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Confused about ICD]

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 07-01-02 19:39

Sue,

Each person reacts slightly differently to an ICD shock - I know of people who have had shocks that were appropriate (meaning a schock was needed) that say it felt like they were kicked by a horse and others say it was like an electric shock from a battery. My point is it can vary... however in many cases of appropriate discards you will become dizzy first and may pass out before the device fires, which is what I hear far more often then the others.

Good luck with your new device and know your not alone!

Lisa