If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My dog Thor

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dog Thor

[My dog Thor]

Author: Mindy (---.ia4.marketscore.com)

Date: 07-01-02 00:42

I went to feed my dog Thor @ 8:00 am on 6-29 he could not walk and was having a hard time breathing .I took him to the vet asap they told me he has cardiomyopathy and to hope for the best . I am really having a hard time with this ,I know this site is for humans but it was the first one I found and i am willing to do anything for my boy . He is the sweetest ,gentlest dog I think in the world .His heart rate is between 250 -300 per min. on 6-30 .and they told me to be happy if he makes it out of the hospital ,he has had 3 seizures since being there . I have no children and he is my life he is a 3 year old neapolitan mastiff.If any-one out there knows anything that can help my boy please e-me or please just pray for him . thank you very much

mindy &thor

mich.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: My dog Thor]

Author: Michelle (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)

Date: 07-01-02 01:55

Hi There -

I work for a Humane Society in the west coast. There is a wonderful grief counselor named Betty Carmack (she is easy to find on google). She specializes in people and their animals. She is wonderful

I hope this might be able to help you through this difficult time.

Best of luck to you -

Michelle

Author: Board Moderator--Sarah Beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 07-01-02 09:25

Dear Mindy

Beta-blockers are a family of medications that are used to lower the heart rate and ease the strain on the heart that cardiomyopathy causes. You may want to see if the vet can try one of these on your Thor. It may not save his life, but it could help him a bit. The human generic names of these are atenolol, nadolol, metoprolol, propanolol, to name a few of the most used ones.

There are different kinds of cardiomyopathy, so what they can do for humans depends on what kind you have. If it is dilative, well there is less to do than if it is hypertrophic. You can read about the distinctions on this web sites info section.

I wish you and Thor all the best through this time.

Big hug

Sarah

Author: Mindy (---.d00832.dlup.digitaldune.net)

Date: 07-01-02 14:02

Mindy,

There are some wonderful veterinary hospitals around which are doing great research with such diseases as cardiomyopathy. Tufts in Boston springs to my mind. I'd recommend you ask your vet immediately where is the best veterinary school and/or hospital which is relatively close to where you live. And ask if he or she will arrange a consult there for you & Thor.

From something I've read long ago, I also think this is a problem in Mastiffs. There may well be an organization out there in cyberspace which represents Mastiff owners & breeders and can help or direct you to help.

I, too, am very attached to my four-legged buddies and I know how much one hurts when facing their illness and possible death. Hugs to both of you. I hope you and Thor find the support and help you need.

Pat

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 07-01-02 19:34

Mindy - We hear from dog and cat owners a great deal hear at the HCMA ... Pets can be just like "family" and I understand your concern. There are vet cardiologist, I am unaware of any in Mich, I only know them in NJ and NY. Ask your vet to refer you to a cardiologist and see if they can handle his condition. If it is HCM there are meds and treatments that can be successful. Other forms of cardiomyopathy in animals I do not know much about...sorry

My mom had a Chihuahua who was was hit by a car, had pins in his hip on beta blockers for years.. he lived until he was 15 years old - Then there was the family Schnauzer who ate a full (shell and all) pecan that lodged in this intestines and had to be surgically removed (this was in 1980 or so and it cost over $300.00 to remove) I think someone in my family still has the $300.00 pecan!

My best wishes to you and Thor!

Lisa Salberg

President

HCMA

Author: Lynn Perry (---.pica.army.mil)

Date: 07-02-02 12:47

I believe the $300 pecan is still somewhere in Mom's house!! Maybe on the shelf in the kitchen!!! Barnie (the schnauzer) was only 18 months old at the time and he lived to be 14 years old. Vet thought he had a tumor and wanted to run a bunch of test before deciding if surgery could save him. But my father convinced the Vet that it was probably something the dog ate and to just open him up without wasting time with additional test. My father knew Barnie better than the VET!!!!

And yes, Mindy. There are a lot of us out here who consider our pets to be important parts of the family. When I lost Barnie it was like I lost my best friend. At the end I did everything I could do for him medically to give him a fighting chance. Some people thought I was crazy to spend that kind of money on "just a dog", but how could I not try?? Do what you think is right, and don't give up on Thor without knowing you have done everything you can for him.

Good Luck,

Lynn Perry
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X