If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dr. G

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

shirleymahoney Born In Tulsa Oklahoma and have a wonderful husband and 2 great children Find out more about shirleymahoney
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. G

Hey i just watched Dr. G Medical examiner and they had someone on there with HCM, In Florida a young bicyclist, i think the word is starting to get out , Thank Goodness Oh by the way it was on Discovery health

Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Shirley, I saw that show!!!

I read this post earlier and then at 10:00pm this evening here in Phoenix, I was switching channels and I came across the Discovery Health channel and Dr G. is on! -- and I thought "oh I wonder if this is the show with the guy with HCM like Shirley mentioned onlinel?"

So I keep watching it, and he was the second segment of the show. It was fascinating when Dr. G. showed the cells of the HCM heart under the microscope.

And, when I was 25 years old, I went to a doctor complaining of heart problems and he diagnosed me with Microvalve Prolapse, just like this young man was diagnosed. I was not diagnosed with HCM until I was 30 years old by another doctor.

It is very sad that he was not properly diagnosed, if he was, it very well could have saved his life.

This show was very interesting. Dr. G. did not mention anything about the size of his septal wall or if he had an obstruction, Dr. G. only said how enlarged his heart was and said he had Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and myocardial disarray. She said he died of an arrhythmia.

Also, Dr. G. said that in HCM, along with the myocardial disarray there is also fibrosis tissue or scar tissue in between the fibers of the heart making it difficult to pump blood efficiently and causing electrical problems with the heart.

Thank you for posting this. It was the first time I ever heard the words Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy said on television, it was wild!

*Edited to say: This man wrote a letter a month before he died to his mom and his dad (his dad was not in his life or his sister's lives) and he said he loved his parents and that when he died he wanted to be cremated. And 2 weeks before my brother died, he said he was going to die and that he wanted to be cremated. How stange is that ??

Eileen
    49 yrs. old
    Diagnosed at 31.
    Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
    First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
    Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
    Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
    My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
    2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

I saw that show about a month ago. What a surprise to hear HCM mentioned on Discovery Channel. It was pretty interesting. I wonder if they are going to show it again down the road...

Tigger1
      " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Holly cow! I'm such an idiot that I didn't recognize this before. I was watching Discovery Health tonight and saw a commercial for Dr. G. It showed a close up of her at work and I saw her ID. I was like wow that looks just like my work ID! Turns out she is with the county medical examiner in Orange County! There office is right next door to Orlando Regional Medical Center where I work. We've probably seen each other several times and I never even noticed! Boy am I a dork for not noticing.

See Florida Doctors are good for something. Who knows maybe we will brush into each other again! Then I could quiz her on HCM!

Mary S.

Comment

well Mary

They do look different off camera but yeah that is where it is from, so maybe you could find out for us maybe when they are going to air the next episode of someone with HCM

Shirley
          Diagnosed 2003
          Myectomy 2-23-2004
          Husband: Ken
          Son: John diagnosed 2004
          Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Working...
          X