If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first ER trip

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Ad Find out more about Ad
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first ER trip

It finally happened: my first trip to the ER - Dutch style of course, which involves waiting, papers, more waiting, more papers and I thought you could just say 'heart patient' and be in front of the queue. How disappointing .

But, why and how did I get there? I had this sunday evening another episode of a racing heart, or better said a very restless heart, with some pain, breathlessness, quite heavy palpitations etc. - you can imagine something. I could take an (extra) beta blocker and make it stop, but I was anxious to know what was happening. My cardio had ordered a holter test somewhere in februari for 24 hrs. to try and get some clarity, but it's always the question whether you can actually record something that is happening sometimes only.

I decided to have an ECG made, to 'record' the condition and probably answer some questions the cardio has regarding my HCM. I didn't take an extra betablocker to stop the palpitations and headed for the ER after consulting my GP. I got some strange looks about going to the ER to get this recorded instead of just taking a pill that works. But in hindsight, I think I spend my time well, even if it meant going through the ritual ER protocols (including blood profiling for myocardial damage - no I have none, thank you ).

Turns out I have bouts of AF - and I don't like them, with my measured heart rates topping 180 and probably higher! Luckily this is easily controlled with a little propranolol (20 mg usually works) and so under control of the assistant-cardio I took 20mg - after an initial recording was made. Within 30 minutes my heartrate sank back to normal, with compliments of the assistant-cardio. A new ECG recording showed a near normal sinus rithm with a heart rate of around 80 with the usual HCM related aberrations.

Talk about 'caught in the act' - my plan to have some 'hard evidence' recorded and put on file worked out well and questions of the cardio and myself have been answered (the holter test is even no longer needed).

So next stop will probably be an increase or reajustment in the beta blockers - now taking toprol-xl once a day only.

Ad
    \"Hope is disappointment postponed\"

Dx in 2004, first symptoms 20 years ago? Obstructed, A-fib, family history!

Combined Morrow and (left atrial) Maze procedures & PVI at St. Antonius Hospital, Netherlands, March 28, 2013.

Meds (past) propranolol, metoprolol, disopyramide, sotalol, amiodaron, aspirin, dabigatran, acenocoumarol.

Meds (current) sotalol, dabigatran, furosemide.

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't feeling well, but am glad it wasn't too serious. When you see the regular cardio again you might want to discuss blood thinners to prevent blood clots when you're in afib. Best of luck!

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Well, i'm not looking forward to yet another pill to take - in a few years time, i went from zero to already 3 regulars a day. Now comes the bloodthinner (and the regular checks etc.) - i might as well start my own pharmacie

Combined Morrow and (left atrial) Maze procedures & PVI at St. Antonius Hospital, Netherlands, March 28, 2013.

Meds (past) propranolol, metoprolol, disopyramide, sotalol, amiodaron, aspirin, dabigatran, acenocoumarol.

Comment

I totally understand about taking a "cocktail" of drugs daily. It's a downer, but sometimes we just have to buck up and do what we need to do to avoid big problems later. Your doctor will know if you really need the blood thinners or not. Take care.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Ad, I'm glad you were able to catch things in the act. It will be a great help to your doc which will in turn, help you. As for your own pharmacy, I can understand that also. I try to think of it in terms of being fortunate to live now, when the meds are available, rather than 50 yrs ago when we didn't have all these wonder drugs and technology. But then, we didn't know what we didn't have, so we didn't miss it. Hang in there, good luck and let us know how things are going. Linda

Comment

May take some weeks before i see the cardio. Yes, i already reckoned with getting blood-thinners Apart from that, i'm still very happy to have been able to pinpoint whats happening.

Comment

My first ER trip

Hi Ad,

Just want to share with you. I certainly hope you are taking the blood thinner idea to heart. I know it sucks. I think we all hate taking our pills. If you are having A fib and especially if there is a history of it in the family, please get on the blood thinner ASAP
              Not to sound like a bummer, but my poor dad had severe A fib and was not on a blood thinner. The doctor he saw never put him on one. He had a massive stroke and did not survive. I guess i am just trying to get the importance of it out there. These arrythmias are awful. My dad was only 52.

I take coumadin, for my valve replacement and it's a good thing because I also am now getting the a fib. The blood draws just become a part of your life. I don't like it, but who does? You have to take care of yourself.

Also just wanted to share with you that I now take Toprol Xl once a day. For years I took the propanonal. Inderal, whatever, you get it. I am glad to not being popping a pill every couple of hours. The Toprol XL is much more convenient and is better for the mind. I have heard from doctors.

I hope this helps you. We have to take care of ourselves a little more than the "normal" person. haha

Take care,
              Lisa A.
              diagnosed at 19. Open heart surgery at 23. Myectomy unsuccessful, but replaced damaged mitral valve, pacemaker, Icd at 36, evaluated for heart transplant at 39.

Comment

Ad

I feel for the med end of all this I take 8 meds twice a day and i have a feeling more will follow tomorrow after my appt with the cardio doc, he said he was adding and taking some away so maybe when he is done i will come out of the visit with more more then i'm taking now have a good evening

Shirley
                Diagnosed 2003
                Myectomy 2-23-2004
                Husband: Ken
                Son: John diagnosed 2004
                Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Dear all,

How kind of you all to respond so caring

Yes we need to take care of ourselves - and since midway 2004 when i started to think seriously about my condition, i've become more and more at ease with the situation: i have a serious disease, and i need to take care and take pills :P but what the heck, i'm still alive, working full time, loving my wife and amusing myself.

Generally, i don't think people around me will consider me a pessimist concerning my condition - though i have to admit that my responsiveness to betablockers may contribute to that as well. I feel better on a regular dose - i take the toprol XL as well, and only occasionally need support from a little propranolol. Currently 50 mg. once a day, so this may have to increase.

Ad

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                  X