If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about passing out...

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about passing out...

Hi all,

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Quick question: For those of you who have passed out on occasion... do you find that you recover fairly quickly afterwards or does this take you a fairly long time? I dropped in my kitchen last night, and even once i picked myself up and got back to the couch it was many hours before i could stand up without feeling like i was going to go down again. Even this afternoon i still feel dizzy enough not to want to drive anywhere. But hey, at least it gives me an excuse to order pizza delivery!

Is this fairly normal? Any thoughts on this would be great.

Jim
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Well Jim

it could be the Beta blocker they have you on is this a new Med for you and how much are you taking, it is not good to pass out like that that would worry me is sounds like your BP is bottoming out on you when you stand that is why i mentioned the beta blocker i hope you get this under control but i would definetly go back to the doctor you take care ok

Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

I don't have any idea. You please take care!

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Jim.
        I have had near passing out episodes for years. While those before diagnosis I have come to believe were related to HCM more specifically, those since heavy beta-blocker dosage I attribute more to a slow BP response. I experience this most often when I stand up quickly, need to bend down and the straighten up etc. When I do experience these episodes they pass fairly quickly and within a minute or two I am ready to go again.

The only time now when the effects linger is when I am in a-fib or dehydrated.

Please be careful. Have you checked with a Dr.?

Peace,

Leon
        God Squad co-moderator
        Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Thanks everyone,

Leon, your post made me think once again that this may very well be an episode of a-fib i've been experiencing. My heart was in a bit of a flutter when i passed out and it took me quite a while to get over the effects. I'm still a bit unsteady as i sit here and write this.

I did get in touch with my cardio who answered my page just a few minutes after i made it. He is understandably concerned, and would like to see me first thing monday morning. He actually would have preferred i go to the hospital and get checked out right away, but i'm going to wait and see how it goes on the lower dose of atenolol.

Take care,

Jim

Comment

I have only blacked out once. It was a SCD episode (before my ICD implant).

I felt my heart stop, then everything went white, then everything went black. After I came back, I was able to get up and walk. I think maybe it was because of some adrenaline. (My husband found me on the bedroom floor and shook me really, really hard until I came back.)

My brother passed out 2 times in a span of a few years before he actually died. And both times he was able to get back up and walk around.

Now and then I have a few incidences where I get dizzy and everything starts to turn white and I'll fall against something, and that's when I need to sit for a while and have some water.

I hope all is well with you and this does not happen again.

Hugs,
            Eileen
            49 yrs. old
            Diagnosed at 31.
            Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
            First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
            Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
            Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
            My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
            2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

re

heya

well i know nothing about hcm realy, but the time i blacked out it maked me feel realy tried and washed out i was tried for like a month later ,and the other time i blacked out i felt like crap for the rest of the day , (it wasents my meds cos im on none) , but cos i know nothing about hcm they could be 2 do with sumthink else

well take care
              *margie*
              Margi*
              http://margi-inskeep.blogspot.com
              Forever Young

I was diagnosedwith HCM at 6.
              Went into Atrial fibrillation so had a ICD put in at 16
              Went into Heart failure at 17
              Got a heart transplant at 21(2009)

Comment

Eileen and Margie,

Thank you for your replies.

Marge, don't worry... you'll be an HCM expert in no time! Just having HCM and understanding what it is makes you a bit smarter than your average Joe on the street. Hope you are feeling well and taking good care of yourself.

Jim

Comment

Just thought i'd post an update:

I went back to my lower dose of atenolol yesterday (100 mg) after speaking with my cardio, and it seems to have done the trick for now. This likely explains why i didn't recover too quickly from the episode as well... since if it was drug-induced, the effects wouldn't wear off until it was out of my bloodstream. Fortunately atenolol doesn't hang around all that long.

I'm not sure exactly how long i was out cold, but it couldn't have been very long. I was preparing to get something out of the microwave when it happened, and when i woke up it was still beeping at me and it only does that for a few minutes after the food is done.

I'm trying not to sound like an alarmist... i'm sure it's nothing. It just caught me off-guard is all and frazzled me a bit. All i could think about afterwards was... my father suffered a sudden cardiac death... my blood pressure still drops with exercise... my heart's doing flip-flops in my chest... and now i've just passed out... here i go! LoL. It was a long night, and it's times like these that i really wish i didn't live alone.

This was actually the first time since being diagnosed that i honestly considered calling 911, and i did keep the phone beside me all night just in case. Oddly enough, at the same time i was thinking: 'Does my insurance cover that? Can i afford an ambulance-ride if it doesn't? I really wish i'd pushed harder for an ICD!'

I am very eager to have this echocardiogram tomorrow to find out what in the heck is going on here. I look forward to reporting that it's nothing more than a case of the flu or something, and all is well! Gotta keep a positive mental attitude, right Tigger?

Hope you're all enjoying the superbowl. I don't get cable tv so i have the afternoon free to catch up on homework and the HCMA. Woo hoo!

Jim

Comment

Please keep us posted. You've got too much going on right now!

Reenie
                    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

That is great news Jim, now send some my way i have a cold again i just shook one a few weeks ago, sometimes i feel it may be CHF bothering me, all i know is that i never get sick like this thank goodness i had my flu shot this year, but i hope you have a great week buddy

Shirley
                      Diagnosed 2003
                      Myectomy 2-23-2004
                      Husband: Ken
                      Son: John diagnosed 2004
                      Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Hi Jim
                        I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. Now, keep it that way! lol

Please let us know how your echo turns out.

Take care
                        Esther

Comment

Hi Jim,

I wished you pushed harder for that ICD too. Can you still get one implanted? Please talk about this with your cardiologist. I want you to have one just in case.

After I blacked out, I was shook up for quite a while. I'll never forget the look on my husband's face. He was terrified. It's a scary thing to have happen, no matter who you are.

And please call 911 if you need to. I did that once, not call 911 when I really needed to and I almost died. (It was from a different problem but it still affected my heart in a very bad way.) I did not want to call 911 because of what the neighbors would think, now I say.. who cares, let them talk.

Please let us know what the echo says.

Hugs,
                          Eileen
                          49 yrs. old
                          Diagnosed at 31.
                          Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                          First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                          Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                          Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                          My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                          2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Hey Jim!

I've had several black out episodes and they totally wipe me out for days after I have one. My last trip in the hospital had me so weak from mulitple episodes that they wanted physical therapy out to make sure I was ok. They blame most of mine on BP since I have an ICD and it has never fired.

And as far as ambulances go if you need it do it. That is what they are there for. Hey at least you've never been hauled out of your Doctor's office and taken to the hospital

Mary S.

Comment

Jim,

PMA is the right way. Glad to hear your doing better. I follow your condition closely Jim, we had our myectomys around the same time last year. If I ever blacked out and hit the floor, I think it would kill my wife before it killed me.

Jim are you going to have a 0ne year check-up at Cleveland or our you going to trust your local Dr. I've already scheduled mine for May 10 in Cleveland. I'm still feeling pretty good. No problems except I need to lose about 20 lbs.

Be good and stay Positive...

Tigger1
                              " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X