If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hubby had ICD

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hubby had ICD

[Hubby had ICD]

Author: Lorie (---.reverse.accesscomm.ca)

Date: 06-28-02 04:14

Hello all

Thought I would give you an update on my husband's surgery and condition now.

We went in, he had the surgery, was out of recovery within 3 hours of start of surgery. Within an hour or two of getting out of recovery, he was up and walking around, feeling better then he had in years.

Released the next day, we were in the hostel, and the ICD went off. Now, the tech had told him, if it goes off, sit down and rest for a while. His comment to me after it went off was, he had no choice in the matter, he was sitting immediately.

No problems after that until just this past Sunday, it went off and knocked him down. Then Tues, it gave a mild jolt, but he was able to continue his walk. Later in the evening, it jolted him again, a little harder. He went into the hosp. that night, and the next day, they check the records. As well as the 4 he felt, the ICD activated 14 other times.

He has more energy then he has in years. We believe that the heat, which is above normal for us right now, may have had a factor in his heart acting up.

The clinic did some adjustments, turned on a couple more monitors and sent him home. He's feeling great right now.

For his history, he's 37 years old, youngest of 5 boys, all who have a form of HCM. They condition was found in the family when his one brother (before my husband was born) died at the age of 7 of massive heart attack. Each succesive boy was checked and found with the condition. One other brother has died from HCM and one is a candiate for the ICD as well.

I believe that the ICD will be the best thing ever for him and our family. He feels more able to do things with our boys then he had before.

I guess I'm kinda rambling now, but I am very glad that things worked out so good.

Also, while in the hosp the past few days, he met the mother of a 4 year old who will be getting an ICD soon. He was able to put her fears and the boy's fear to rest as they really had gotten no information about the ICD and procedure.

Thank you for listening to my rambles.

Lorie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Hubby had ICD]

Author: Mary Catania (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 06-28-02 07:49

Hi Lorie,

I'm so glad your husband got that ICD when he did. Wishing you both well. What a family history! Your story comes at a time when I am awaiting an ICD. I needed to hear about how it feels when it delivers a shock. I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to be surprised after having a procedure done. The more I know about what to expect, the better off I am. Thank you for sharing.

Mary

Author: Jerry Salzman (---.indy.rr.com)

Date: 06-28-02 09:10

Lorie,

While my ICD has never gone off (have had it for 18 months), I can tell you that I have forgotten it even exists. If it wasn't for the occasional buzz at the airport security (about 80%) I really would not remember it.

I did like you comment on the woman not really knowing what was going to happen. When they did mine, I was told on a Friday, the surgery was Monday and I was stuck in the hospital without internet access. All they had was these pathetic videos. The one from Medtronic was written below the level of my 7 year old. For example it had former patients playing out parts of the ICD. One guy playing the part of the shocker clanged symbols together to represent a shock. While another person wrote down the time to represent the ICD recording the event. The Guidant video was better, but it kept talking about how you really do not notice the AICD even on the beach. That was great but they never actually showed the person in a bathing suit.

Jerry

Author: Pat-Sub (---.intrepid.net)

Date: 06-29-02 15:29

Hi Jerry,

I was curious, you memtioned about the buzz at airport security. I have an ICD(1&1/2 yrs.) and was told not to go through airport secutity. they do a manuel pat down.

Pat

Author: Jerry Salzman (---.indy.rr.com)

Date: 06-30-02 00:31

Pat,

I go through the machine, I just do not let them use the magnetic wand. I was told the security monitor would do no harm but the wand's magnet would shut the ICD off while it was near it. As for pat downs, yes I get them all the time. The only problem I have is the wierd looks. By the way, prior to 9/11 I was going through one day and they didn't have a male security guard who knew how to do a pat down. This new kid did it with someone else telling him what to do. Shows how sad the security really was.

Jerry

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 07-01-02 18:50

Lorie,

Wow what a story! I am wondering if the shocks were deemed "appropriate" or did they say they had to reprogram the device, which can happen.

Your husband family history is rather striking, I am very happy to hear he has the ICD!

Best wishes to ALL!

Lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X