If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does A-Fib feel like??

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does A-Fib feel like??

Hi All,

I'm hoping some folks here can share with me their personal experiences with a-fib. What does it feel like? What were your symptoms?

The reason i'm asking is that i've been having some problems lately that may be related to this... but am currently way too stubborn and fed-up with emergency rooms and doctors to go have it checked out until i am absolutely certain it is necessary. I haven't had anything like this since the myectomy, and i've been feeling so freakin good i guess i've been hoping that it was just some temporary 'thing' that would go away on it's own.

The symptoms started with the albuterol i was using, and include chest pain (left sided and arm), dizziness, numbness, chest fluttering, awareness of my heart beating very strongly, nervousness, insomnia, and fatigue. Specifically the fatigue is my worst issue, and i haven't experienced anything like this since the myectomy. I literally could not make it to class the other day, and this is nothing like the way i was feeling last semester.

Assuming that my obstruction didn't just suddenly re-appear overnight, could the albuterol have triggered an episode of a-fib? If so, shouldn't it have corrected itself on it's own by now?

Thanks much for any help you can give,

Jim
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Jim, sorry you're having more probs. If your pulse remains irregular, you could be in A-fib. The symptoms you describe can all go with the A-fib. Unfortunately, it may not resolve on it's own. With A-fib, the chance exists that the longer it persists, the more difficult it may be to resolve. So, if it is persisting, get it checked out. I do hope you find it's just short bursts of an irreg beat, let us know. Good luck, Linda

Comment

Jim.

When I have bouts of a-fib, I often liken it to popcorn going off in my chest. At times I can actually see my chest wall jumping up and down. I feel breathless (more so than usual), a bit light headed, tired and just plain yucky to use a non-medical term. I hope it all self-corrects, but don't wait too long. Peace,

Leon
      God Squad co-moderator
      Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

I'm hoping some folks here can share with me their personal experiences with a-fib. What does it feel like? What were your symptoms?
        Ahhh. . . .a subject near (but not so dear) to my heart.

A-fib comes in different varieties. My experience may not match yours. I am in persistent- full-time- A-Fib now and this has become my normal heart beat. There is no pain that I recognize, but I become short of breath upon exertion. Since shortness of breath is also a symptom of HCM, I guess the a-fib is sort of a background issue with me at this point.

My whole “heart-health journey” began in 1995 when I was hospitalized with rapid A-Fib. At that time I was having episodes of what I would always describe as heart burn. In fact I was buying and taking antacid tablets which seemed to work sometimes, but not always. I had been using Tums for years, so this was something that was building up.

These early episodes would come and go and never lasted for more than 24 – 36 hours. These events would be rather uncomfortable – not really painful and remember that I found it difficult to breath normally – that is to say that my breathing would begin to mimick the irregular pace of my heart.

Five minutes on an EKG will tell you if you have it. A qualified nurse might be able to tell by simply feeling your pulse. My pulse is so faint at my wrist that it is just about impossible to tell.
        • 1995: Brigham & Women’s Hospital - diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation
        • 2004: Falkner Hospital – diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure
        • 2004: Tufts NEMC– diagnosed with “End Stage” Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
        • 2005: Genetic Test – Laboratory for Molecular Medicine. HCM confirmed – missense mutation detected in TNNT2 gene
        • 2009: Brigham & Women’s - Third cardioversion begin Amiodarone for AFib
        • 2011: Brigham & Women’s - Medtronic ICD implant

Comment

I've only had short bursts of what was described as possible a-flutter, which is virtually the same thing as a-fib. For me it was the fluttery feeling and sometimes I would have super strong heart beats that would make my whole chest move. I would feel like my heart was beating in my throat. That feeling of anxiousness or nervousness is all too familiar too. Please get some help.

Reenie
          Reenie

Husband has HCM.
          3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hi Jim

A-fib to me is feeling my heart race. Sometimes it is strong, sometimes weak. I get very tired after an episode of this and lightheaded. When I have my ICD interogated, I always ask for a copy. There has been times when my heart was beating 286 per minute and would last for 10 minutes.

What is really weird is this usually happens while I'm sleeping, but there are times I'm awake.

If this is still persisting, I definately would go to the ER. It's nothing to fool around with.

Please keep in touch.
            Esther

Comment

how to tell if you are in afib

take your pulse. it should be a steady, regular beat. if the time between beats changes more often than staying steady, well, that is probably afib.

the fatigue, chest, pain, etc. are also prime afib symptoms.

please see your doctor. afib can cause strokes and heart attacks.

s

Comment

There has been times when my heart was beating 286 per minute and would last for 10 minutes.
                Esther-
                One of the main reasons I am concerned about having an ICD implanted is the fact that I know my heart rate can get way up there. I have seen it approach 200 but never exceed it.

How does the device destinguish between A-Fib and V-Fib?? You were not zapped when it got to 286??
                • 1995: Brigham & Women’s Hospital - diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation
                • 2004: Falkner Hospital – diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure
                • 2004: Tufts NEMC– diagnosed with “End Stage” Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
                • 2005: Genetic Test – Laboratory for Molecular Medicine. HCM confirmed – missense mutation detected in TNNT2 gene
                • 2009: Brigham & Women’s - Third cardioversion begin Amiodarone for AFib
                • 2011: Brigham & Women’s - Medtronic ICD implant

Comment

I was told by cardiologists that I have episodes of A-fib. I never really knew what the symptoms are. I always feel like crap. I have lots of heart rhythm problems.

And whenever I would ask my last cardiologist a question about my symptoms and rhythms she would always say: " "Oh that's normal for your condition."

(That's why I have found a new cardiologist, but I think even he is dumbfounded.)

I have been on Verapamil now for 10 days and it has not helped my beats. But it has slowed my heart down, I still feel tired.

When I had my ICD interrogated, they had to turn down or shut down my atrial lead because it was double counting my beats, so all this time, they are not exactly sure what my heart has been doing.

My ICD was so screwed up that the technician had to call St Jude's headquarters and ask the top technician what to do and make sure she was doing everything correctly.

Jim, I have those symptoms you have described everyday.

I hope you feel better soon, please keep us posted.

Hugs,
                  Eileen
                  49 yrs. old
                  Diagnosed at 31.
                  Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                  First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                  Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                  Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                  My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                  2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Jim, How are you doing? I'm hoping things have improved by now. Linda

Comment

Jim

I seem to be missing you by just a few minutes when i sign into AIM, I guess school is keeping you hopping, i hope your chest has calmed down on you, be well my friend

Shirley
                      Diagnosed 2003
                      Myectomy 2-23-2004
                      Husband: Ken
                      Son: John diagnosed 2004
                      Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Hi All,

I finally broke down and went to see my PCP this morning about the chest pain, etc. This guy got me into an exam room in two minutes flat even though his waiting room was packed... did a thorough physical exam and ekg... then got on the horn with my local cardio for a consult while i waited. Wow! I feel so lucky to have such a great team to work with here. My PCP is extremely knowledgable about HCM and works so well with both my local cardio and the folks in Cleveland... it's amazing. Even though i'm so fed up with doctors and hospitals in general right now i could scream... i have to admit that i'm quite blessed.

Anyway, i digress...

The ekg didn't show any signs of a-fib but he's not ruling it out entirely. It records such a brief period in time, and my chest just wasn't fluttering this morning like it has been. Isn't that always the case? As soon as they hook up the equipment the ol' ticker tries to make a liar out of ya. LoL.

My murmur's back again loud and clear which is a little disconcerting i guess... but then again i had already suspected that my gradient is going back up since i can hear the thing pounding away in my head and feel it in my neck just like the good old days. Nobody's very concerned about it though... not yet anyway. This all coincides with the albuterol, being sick, the hernia, starting a new term at school, and a few other things as well... so it's quite possible my heart is just under stress right now and this is something temporary.

My cardio is getting me into his office on the 18th... i'll be having an echo and probably get a holter as well to try and record some of these events. In the meantime, they increased my beta-blocker and told me to deal with the symptoms as best i can. I can do my treadmill at the gym and keep up my regular activities... but nothing like last semester. No more going without sleep, all-night sessions at school, and eating crappy food out of vending machines. I may well have overdone things a bit there. And of course i got the usual 'you're still just seven months out of surgery' blah, blah, blah.

Thanks for all your great info and advice. I sure do appreciate it.

Jim
                        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

I'm glad you have such a great team to take care of you. Take care of yourself and please keep us posted!

Reenie
                          Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                          3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Boy the rocky road of HCM Huh. Take care and do slow down . Keep us posted Jim..
                            My Best.

Pam
                            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Jim

Please take care of yourself and slow down, i know i sound like a broken record Please Jim take care of yourself

Shirley
                              Diagnosed 2003
                              Myectomy 2-23-2004
                              Husband: Ken
                              Son: John diagnosed 2004
                              Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Working...
                              X