If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Holiday Heart"

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Linda Find out more about Linda
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Holiday Heart"

Below is a site that talks about alcohol and A-fib. It's such a common problem that it has long been called "Holiday Heart". If alcohol can do this to so many "normal" hearts, it's no wonder the HCM heart can be affected so easily. We have a lot of discussions about A-fib, so some might find good info here, even tho the paper does not focus on A-fib in HCM.

http://master.emedicine.com/med/topic1024.htm

Linda

Thanks, Linda. We can use all the information we can get.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Thanks i'm going to print this for my son he thinks he can drink he said it never did anything to me before i was diagnosed and i say why chance it hardheaded

Shirley
      Diagnosed 2003
      Myectomy 2-23-2004
      Husband: Ken
      Son: John diagnosed 2004
      Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Great info Linda,

Very helpfull . This is exactly what would happen to me back in 1993 and 94 long before I was diagnosed. I was newly separated and kicking my heals up a little too high for someone with an undiagnosed structural abnormality to my heart.

I kicked up those heels and would end up with a racing pounding heart and irregular rhythm usually abrupt and repeated passing out always followed. Interesting in 94, I never touched alchohol again and the subsequent episodes of heart symptoms were apparently just HCM symptoms and no more passing out occurred. Count me one of the lucky ones.

Thanks for sharing the article.

Pam
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

"Holiday Heart"

Linda,

Thank you so much for the info. the link to the site is what I have been looking for, for some time now. Pam and I have talked about this a bit.

I am sad to not be able to have a beer or two. Even during the holidays. I just know now that I feel better without it. I drink Ice water if I am socializing(which is next to never anymore! ).

I have not drank since I got the pacer/icd put in. Well I tried to have a beer a lite beer and I just did not feel good. It just doesn't feel the same, it makes me feel bad after just a half of a beer. So I skip it. It's not so bad, I guess. LOL

What about the non alcoholic beers such as O'douls anyone try that or is that still bad? I know there is a little bit of alcohol but not much. maybe this would be better or just skip it to be safe, I know!!!!

Can you tell I kind of miss a cold beer, (not so much this winter that's for sure!!!)

It is so amazing that you posted this link when lately it seems I have been thinking about this. Must be because my daughter has turned 21 and she has the "go out" fever. I miss the old days!! but who the heck doesn't right?

Thanks again for the info. I am going to check the link out now. This is nice of you to share, i thought maybe I was the only one thinking about this subject. hahaa
          take care,
          Lisa a.
          diagnosed at 19. Open heart surgery at 23. Myectomy unsuccessful, but replaced damaged mitral valve, pacemaker, Icd at 36, evaluated for heart transplant at 39.

Comment

Labbey,

A year ago my doc told me to stop drinking regular beer or anything with alcohol in it. He said I could have all the NA beer I wanted. Now I drink O'douls Amber. To me it tastes pretty good. The premium beers make NA also but they cost 2 or 3 times as much. When I want to treat myself I buy a 6er of Beck's NA at about $7.00.

When ever I go out with friends or to a party, they always make sure there is beer for me.

I have yet to have any problems from drinking NA beer. Ask your doc then give them a try. Keep me posted.

By the way I think I've tried every NA beer made.

Tigger1
            " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

"Holiday Heart"

Thanks for the tip Tigger1. lol
              One of my friends had mentioned a NA beer and then I just forgot about it I guess. Odoul's is a popular one around here. Well I don't know how popular it is, but they do have it in my area. hahhahee...
              What others are there? I used to be a Bud girl. No moore of that I suppose! LOL
              Thanks again,
              Lisa a.
              diagnosed at 19. Open heart surgery at 23. Myectomy unsuccessful, but replaced damaged mitral valve, pacemaker, Icd at 36, evaluated for heart transplant at 39.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X